Review - Gear - Bitter End goggles

reviewbitterendl7cj.gif

Info

After the continuous problem of fogging up goggles was really getting on my nerves, I decided to do some research on the web – maybe there are alternatives (except for the rather expensive ESS Turbofans). On the other hand, those cheap ACM Mesh goggles (as seen on Ebairsoft) are too unreliable thus unsafe. My eyes are precious to me, so I’m not taking any risks on that behalf...

Then I stumbled upon the website of "Bitter End".

This manufacturer offers not the already known Mesh goggles; here the protective layer is made from "stamped metal" – which doesn’t need a further introduction I guess. Also, the promises and statements made by “Bitter End” sound very interesting. Just a random quote from their website:

The stamped steel that is used in all my gear has been tested at 530+ FPS with .20's at point blank range with minimal deflection. They have been field tested by thousands of players from around the World to ensure high performance.

That sounds positive, who likes to read more – please visit the “Bitter End” website: LINK.

The goggles

Alright, the statements made by the manufacturer have not yet convinced me, but it’s got my interest. After reading and watching a few more reviews, I decided to go for the "Ground Zero" model, tagged at $39. Shipping and handling from USA to Austria $9, that’s very acceptable and after just 9 days the package arrived. No extra costs, customs are on my side for once…

Packed in a little, white cardboard box – nothing on the box reveals the content. Once opened the goggles lie in a generous bed of polystyrene chips. On the one hand, there isn’t much to protect because very little could happen to the goggles. On the other hand, it’s always very pleasant when manufacturers take care of their products. Thumbs up for “Bitter End” on this point.

The “Ground Zero” comes with a comfortable headband, and what very positive: the goggles are astonishingly lightweight, very comfortable to wear and closes the gaps between face and goggles perfect. The foam on the inside of the frame reminds me of that of a Wiley X. The color of the goggles ist best described as a flat darkgrey finish. Now I let the pictures do the talking...

p10209783j4z.jpg

p10209794kyc.jpg

p1020980r8n0.jpg

The test

Like people say: "form your own opinions ". And that is exactly what I’m going to do – manufacturers can make great promises, but when it comes to safety I’m not very fond of taking risks. But first, a little comparison between the “Ground Zero”, a “ESS ICE” and some cheapo sunglass-styled safety glasses – just to give you a feel for the dimensions.

p1020982uk1k.jpg

Clear to see, the "Bitter End" is about the sime size as the "ESS".

Now, to the important part of this review! Can the goggles keep what “Bitter End” promises us on their website…

Just a short reminder:

"530+ FPS with 0.20 g BBs at point blank range"...

First test will be conducted with my low powered Mk.23 NBB – which clocks at around 280 FPS. What you could call a very "soft" Airsoft. Because my spring sniper is broken at the time, I need to use my KWA KM4 RIS for the second test. The Xcoretech Chrono tells us that it has a velocity of 380 FPS – measured with 0.20 g BBs.

The executioners:

p10209855kev.jpg

Sadly I couldn’t find anyone dumb enough to act as a “testdummy”, so I had to ask my Airsoftfriend "Rusty" to help me out.

p1020987o8fh.jpg

For this test I put some double sided adhesive tape on the surface of Rusty’s face, to catch eventual debris for further analysis after the shooting test.

Edited by Viper Austria

Test STTI Mk.23 GNB

Test performed with 0.20 g HIDD Bio-BBs. FPS @ 21°C: 280 FPS.

Five shots were fired at one and the same position on the goggles.

p102098848pc.jpg

Like already said, 5 shots at exact the same position...

p10209899jpb.jpg

p102099138ti.jpg

Clear to see, the material has been deformed, and this at a low FPS already?! The dent was measured: 1.99 mm. That is not very convincing, I’d say rather disturbing prior to the second test with the more powerful AEG.

Test KWA KM4 RIS

Second test performed with Xtreme Precision 0,20g Bio BB´s. FPS: 380. Yet again 5 shots at exact the same position. For your interest: this test was conducted on the other “facehalf” of the goggles...

p1020992ikia.jpg

Here we go! And that was all!!!!

Already the first BB penetrates the testobject, after that I’ve just fired the remaining BBs for the record....

p1020993ukjr.jpg

p1020997dkn3.jpg

A very, very disappointing result and very shocking at the same time! How easy the BBs struck trough the stamped plate material.

Then I took my AEG (same as before), loaded up 25 BBs in the magazine and shot at the center of the goggles from a distance up and around 5 meters, and I must say, I’m glad my face wasn’t behind those goggles...

p1020994b8hp.jpg

From this distance no BBs struck trough, but the material is so heavily deformed that I guess it will be just a question of time before it happens. Upsetting...

The victim...

Rusty was very brave during the tests, he didn’t even blink his eyes when they were penetrated with debris and whole BBs.

It becomes shocking when you take off the goggles, now the whole disaster becomes clear to see...

p1020995sjzn.jpg

p1020996u84t.jpg

Pictures taken with another background, the damage can be seen better:

p1030008r7t9.jpg

Seeing this scares the sh*t out of me, and at the same time it’s annoying me. Where does the manufacturer take the gutts to praise those goggles like he does. There are enough players around who believe the things manufacturers write and tell – and take gear like this to the best next game and use it without testing.

RESUME

I can’t explain the huge difference between the statements made by “Bitter End” and my own tests. Did I get a faulty set of goggles, I just don’t know…

I will contact “Bitter End” and inform them about my test results. For the time being, looking at these results I must say: these goggles are just plain dangerous! Even if the circumstances as put trough during this test will never occur on a playfield – it just not acceptable...

I am very curious what “Bitter End” has to say to this.

Here some more impressions:

p1020998h7n6.jpg

p1030003p70b.jpg

p103000507gz.jpg

p1030004t7hz.jpg

p1030002u71p.jpg

p103000647ew.jpg

Edited by Viper Austria

Update!

I still can’t believe what happened. On the website "point blank" apparently isn’t always point blank, as during some tests they keep clear 6 inches from the goggles.

So.. Let’s test it again, and this time at a distance of 7-8 inches. Again 5 shots with the same AEG, this time on the left side of the goggles (where the test with the pistol was performed) – but way clear from that area...

In addition I looked at the weak spot in the middle of the goggles, and it looks really terrible. Bending it back into position, well – it’s too late for that from the looks of it. After conducting the above test, I loaded the magazine with approx. 20 BBs and shot at the weak spot again. I say, just take a look at the next pictures.

View after the second series of tests:

p10300186rjz.jpg

Shot with KWA KM4 RIS, 380 FPS, 0.20 g HIDD Bio BB, distance approx. 7-8 inches (at the second shot, material was breached again):

p1030014dqme.jpg

Shooting test on the middle of the goggles, distance approx. 5 meters. Especially the 2nd picture shows the deformation very well:

p1030013fqwo.jpg

p10300124p13.jpg

And for those who like it in "Motion Picture":

Interesting first posts, "very" proffesional looking...

would be better in the review section though?

Interesting that your stti MK23 only does 280 fps, most of the mk23 clones have heavy hammer springs and run hotter, my TM MK23 runs 310...

Did you buy direct from Bitter end or through a 3rd party?

Jim

Firstly this is an incredible review and I for one am surprised that the bbs actually managed to penetrate the mesh at all! It's frightening! The mesh seems thicker than most meshes I've seen which is why im surprised at the level of damage. I expect all mesh goggles are similar in that respect. I guess the thinking is that one will not take a hit at point blank or a series of hits at point blank as surely no airsofter would shoot at an opponent at close range. Nevertheless the scary. On a side note have you tried the heroshark goggles. There's a guy here in the UK that makes them. Supposed to be the mutts nuts of safety mesh goggles.

Interesting first posts, "very" proffesional looking...

would be better in the review section though?

Interesting that your stti MK23 only does 280 fps, most of the mk23 clones have heavy hammer springs and run hotter, my TM MK23 runs 310...

Did you buy direct from Bitter end or through a 3rd party?

I'm not very familiar yet with the build-up of this forum, maybe a Mod can move the whole topic?

My Mk23 runs on maintenance gas at the time, waiting for the new shipment of Greengas.

And yes, I ordered directly from "Bitter End"...

Firstly this is an incredible review and I for one am surprised that the bbs actually managed to penetrate the mesh at all! It's frightening! The mesh seems thicker than most meshes I've seen which is why im surprised at the level of damage. I expect all mesh goggles are similar in that respect. I guess the thinking is that one will not take a hit at point blank or a series of hits at point blank as surely no airsofter would shoot at an opponent at close range. Nevertheless the scary. On a side note have you tried the heroshark goggles. There's a guy here in the UK that makes them. Supposed to be the mutts nuts of safety mesh goggles.

I was shocked too, I can tell you that for sure. I was really thinking these goggles would solve my problems.

My point is though, if you claim that your equipment can withstand such a severe punishment - then I want to see it with my own two eyes (from a safe distance in this case, and behind ESS goggles). But thanks for the info on the "herosharks". If "Bitter End" refunds my goggles, I'll order them from there.

Very nice write up mate, shocking results really... I would actually, just for the record, want to see what a 10 feet distance shot does, I mean, how much is this result dependant on the point blank factor. Face and eye protection is extremely important IMO so thanks for this info.

Thank you all for the thumbs up!

@NonEx

10 feet are approx. 3 meters, the damage in the center of the goggles were caused by multiple shots at approx. 15 feet. But I've tested it for you...

At 10 feet, single shots fired with the same M4 used in the tests. Dents were made, approx. 2 mm deep.

At 10 feet, full auto (approx. 50 shots fired - very unlikely to happen during an Airsoft game though). Ripped the complete material apart, you see I didn't aim at one specific point, I just sprayed the area. After a few shots, I guess 5-10, the material startet to rip...

Like said before, at a 100 feet you will have no problems at all with these goggles, I even think that at 50 feet you're still halfway safe. But nowadays people carry backup GBBs that sometimes are as powerfull as an assault AEG. Everyone can make a mistake and pull the trigger at a too close distance, and then, I wouldn't want to wear this piece...

To the shooting test you asked for:

- the dents on the far left side are from the single fired shots (right next to the prints on the frame)...

p1030020l8v7.jpg

p1030021p89s.jpg

Now the goggles are so severely damaged that more shooting tests wouldn't make much sense anymore...

Edited by Viper Austria

Excellent, very thorough, review! Pretty shocking results indeed although looking at the pictures of the sticky tape it would seem that even if you were to be shot at a fair distance you would get hundreds of tiny, sharp looking paint fragments in your eyes!

Thanks for the heads up on this one as I am likely to buy some mesh goggles at some point, as I am a chronic "sweater" when I run around at all ;)

Excellent review. Aside from the obvious, I think everyone should take a close look at the tape you placed behind the goggles to collect the debris. See all those small black flakes and broken pieces of BBs? That would be in your eyes. It is for this very that our state airsoft community has banned all forms of mesh goggles.

I guess the thinking is that one will not take a hit at point blank or a series of hits at point blank as surely no airsofter would shoot at an opponent at close range.

I've been double-tapped from two inches away. Luckily it was into my SAPI plate, but you get the picture. I not-so-gently informed the player of his transgression and promptly left for the spawn area before I let my temper get the better of me.

Excellent review. Aside from the obvious, I think everyone should take a close look at the tape you placed behind the goggles to collect the debris. See all those small black flakes and broken pieces of BBs? That would be in your eyes. It is for this very that our state airsoft community has banned all forms of mesh goggles.

What do you use in your state then?

Heres my tests to save you the bother. Any questions or test suggestions are welcome ,tbh I've done a very poor effort with the pictures with either being out of focus or negating to take a picture at all in one case. Anyway I've taken 6 test subjects they were shot in the same spot on semi at point blank like this.

DSCF1198.jpg

The aug is running 400fps approx (I'll get the exact figure soon) . For the ammo I went for some 0.2 tracers which I know shatter to kingdom come.

DSCF1199.jpg

Subject number 1 is 2.9mm hole .For the first shot I held in the palm of my hand without the tape backing to see what it felt like. Pieces did come through ,but with very little force certainly not enough to blind you imo. The second shot was into the lens with the tape on.

DSCF1185.jpg

As you would have seen if I had taken a bloody picture, there were some small particles on the tape. You'll see on the further pictures what I mean. I then contiued to fire semi with an approx half a second between each shot till the mesh started to tear . It took 28 rounds.

DSCF1201.jpg

Subject number 2 is also 2.9mm hole .The first shot was into the lens with the tape on.

DSCF1187.jpg

DSCF1188.jpg

Once again there are some small particles on the tape that you would see if I had the picture in focus (I'm not much of a photographer as you can see). Then same as before continued till it tore. This one took 24 rounds.

DSCF1202.jpg

Subject 3 is the 3.9mm hole .Like subject 1 I first fired into the palm of my hand. large pieces passed through and hit my hand with more force than subject 1 . Would it blind you? Maybe I certainly wouldn't like to be behind it to see. Then as before the tape shot.

DSCF1189.jpg

32.jpg

Here you can see theres a fair bit of debris stuck to th tape .And then shooting till it tears took 14 rounds.

DSCF1203.jpg

Subject number 4 is 3.9mm hole. To start we have the tape shot.

DSCF1191.jpg

DSCF1192.jpg

Very little compaired to Subject 3 more comparable to the 2.9mm hole test pieces .And then shooting till it tears took 18 rounds.

DSCF1204.jpg

Subject 5 is 3.9mm hole. To start we have the tape shot.

DSCF1193.jpg

DSCF1195.jpg

Once again much like subject 3 .And then shooting till it tears took 13 rounds.

DSCF1205.jpg

Subject 6 is 2.9mm hole. To start we have the tape shot.

DSCF1196.jpg

DSCF1197.jpg

Theres a few visable bits of debris even with the bad picture, but nothing I would consider dangerous .And then shooting till it tears took 13 rounds.

DSCF1206.jpg

In conclusion I would say mesh is potentialy dangerous in extreme situations eg :high fps ,close up ,brittle ammo.The reason I took pictures of the initial hits is, in a realistic situation your only gonna have the potential of the first hit shattering and hitting the eye .Any successive hits will not be in the same spot, and your eye would be closed from the initial hit .Personaly I've been hit in the eye by debris twice in 15 years over 200 games approx using the 3.9mm hole mesh. Both times I came to no harm and continued to play. Its much like getting a fly in your eye while riding a bike, annoying but certainly not dammaging. Anyone expecting mesh to hold out like polycarbonate will be sorely dissapointed. Anybody considering taking out a severely dented set of any mesh eyewear don't just don't. If it takes a realy bad hit replace it. Thanks for reading, and once again all questions and suggestions are welcome. I do plan on getting something with a bit more fps to test ,some eyes from the butchers, and some different ammo to test (any donationswould be welcome).

Cheers, Sharky

Edited by heroshark

this may sound crazy, but is it possible to dip or coat the mesh in some sort of latex or rubber compound? which may help the intial contact force/energy?of course if this coating became damaged, it could be repaired? like a brush on rubber/latex youd use for flat/felt roofing repairs.

Just an idea, feel free to tell me to pish off...

like this maybe? http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/plastidip.htm

Edited by Jimmypie

this may sound crazy, but is it possible to dip or coat the mesh in some sort of latex or rubber compound? which may help the intial contact force/energy?of course if this coating became damaged, it could be repaired? like a brush on rubber/latex youd use for flat/felt roofing repairs.

Just an idea, feel free to tell me to pish off...

like this maybe? http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/plastidip.htm

The idea isn't bad at all.

We have a company in our village here, which I plan to visit tomorrow. I am going to ask him if it is possible to make the same stamped product from another material.

If it's possible I'll ask for some testpieces and conduct the same tests again. Keep you posted!!!

cool, on the previous page cazboab talked about the rubber spalling into your eyes, that may be better than the splinters from BB's, assuming the bb's dont shatter.

As Heroshark stated, you natural instinct is to shut your eyes after the first hit, so repeated strikes would obviously still damage the goggles, but if that first one or two rounds didnt shatter,

it may just be a bit safer.

Ive never used mesh goggles/glasses myself, and i personally wouldnt as the games i play are generally higher FPS than your average walk on day and alot closer ranges.

But for open woodland games i can really see the benefit for the "sweatys". :)

then there is the question of how many times have you been hit on the eye protection, then how many of those times had successive hits to the eye protection. For me personaly I would say maybe 1 in 3 games for me I take a hit to the eye protection then maybe about 4ish times I remember taking maybe 2-3 rounds at most and never were they all in a 1" grouping .I too mainly play private games with higher limits without any trouble for all the time i have played. Theres higher odds of getting blinded by wearing nonsealed eyewear .Even many larger sealed goggles have their failings as many have vents around the edges large enough to let a round through un-hindered as they are only covered by a thin veil of foam .Thats if the user hasn,t already tore it off to help stop fogging.

Edited by heroshark