UKTactical; They ain't perfect.

I feel the need to share this, because frankly, I'm fed up with businesses, whether large or small, not giving a *fruitcage* about your average customer.

So, the story started yesterday. I ordered a Warrior 901 Chest rig and Rigger's belt from UKTactical; I've ordered from them before, and I've never had a problem. Order placed, delivered next day from Royal Mail via 1st class recorded. Never had a reason to trouble their CT team.

Anyhow - It seems they've now changed the courier they use to Interlink express.

Now, to give a little background, I work in an office building with 2 entrances. It's manned 24 hours a day; If a courier goes to the address given (Which I've checked - Faultlessly typed into UKT's order system) - They'll do one of two things. If they haven't been to the building before, they'll end up at the front entrance. They'll then be informed by the receptionists the courier entrance is at the rear of the building - It's clearly signposted on the outside of the front entrance as well. Once said courier goes to the courier entrance, security sign for anything delivered.

Seems simple enough; However, in this instance, instead of getting my delivery, I get an e-mail from Interlink informing me 'Sorry, noone was available to sign for the package'. That, frankly, isn't possible. Someone is ALWAYS available, even 3am Christmas eve. After telephoning Intercall, the customer service person couldn't raise the driver; However, she informed me the reason given was 'The shutters were down'. This is an office building; There are no shutters.

So, first part of the story is, courier arrives at the front entrance and is told to walk 20 yards to the back. Courier couldn't be bothered, and instead made up a BS excuse to save him the walk. Very annoying, but it happens occasionally.

Interlink then informed me if I wanted my postage refunding (Which, let's be honest, we all would if we had to wait a day longer to receive our fun stuff because of a lazy sod who couldn'e be bothered to do his job), I'd have to contact UK tactical. Fair enough; I figured UKT, being a well thought of retailer, would be happy to help - After all, they don't want a courier making their customers angry, so it'd make sense right?

Here's the e-mail chain that followed:

-------------

Hi UK Tactical,

Please see the below e-mail from interlink; I work in an office building, which is manned 24 hours a day. Someone is ALWAYS available to sign for the package – Essentially what’s happened here is the courier went to the correct address at the main entrance; He would then have been asked to go to the courier entrance on the other side of the building – Instead of doing that, the driver obviously couldn’t be arsed and according to him the item couldn’t be delivered because ‘the shutters were down’. Considering this building doesn’t have shutters, I’m pretty angry with interlink.

I’ve spoken to interlink on the phone, and whilst your customer service is fantastic as always, Interlink have informed me the only way I can claim my money back for the postage from them is through the sender. How would I go about getting my postage refunded from interlink? I’m awfully sorry to be annoying and inconvenience you guys as it’s obviously none of your fault, but I’m seriously not happy about the fact some lazy van driver couldn’t be arsed to walk 15 yards to deliver my stuff. If there’s any other order details you need let me know and I’ll send them over.

Kind Regards,

Rich

---------------------

Hi

Sorry for any inconvenience caused but we are unable to refund any postage as the £7.95 is a standard secure signed for delivery service. We have traced your parcel and Interlink are going to redeliver your parcel tomorrow they was no special request for the parcel to be delivered any where else apart from the address on the order.

Regards

Claire

---------

Hi Claire,

No need to apologise, not your fault! No special delivery instructions were required; My problem is with the fact the interlink driver physically couldn’t be bothered to deliver my package. The correct postal address is the one I provided. I work in an office building with 2 entrances; The address of the building is 25 Basinghall Street – However, the courier entrance is at the rear of the building.

Basically, the courier obviously came to the correct address, and was told (like every other courier gets told) to pop round the back of the building to deliver the package. The ONLY reason I have to wait an extra day to receive my order is because the courier physically couldn’t be bothered to make the delivery, and then lied as an excuse as to why not. That’s totally unacceptable customer service on Interlinks part, and I’m really quite annoyed about it.

Essentially, interlink haven’t provided the service I’ve paid for, hence my annoyance. If there’s nothing further you can do, can you provide me a contact e-mail for interlink (there isn’t one on their website) so I can take it up with them myself?

Kind Regards,

Rich

------------

Hi

The email address is www.interlink.com hopefully you will have better luck tomorrow.

Regards

Claire

So - Essentially, 'Claire' hasn't provided any help whatsoever, and I've been entirely fobbed off - Maybe I'm overreacting a little, but in my eyes, I've just asked UKT to help resolve what is obviously a blatant *fruitcage*up on behalf of their courier company. I've explained clearly and reasonably and politely why I'm annoyed at Interlink, and why I'd like some customer service. Instead, I've been given a totally useless website link (that I'd just told them was useless), and a generic 'Have a nice day' sign off.

Won't be ordering from UK Tactical again as a result of this. Yes, they're normally fantastic - But I'm really not happy with the way they've attempted to deal with my issue, and as such I felt I should share the story.

I stopped buying from a certain store after their courier had me drive 50Km to get my package once and didn't deliver a second one.

After those incidents I politely sent an e-mail to the store stating that I wouldn't be buying from them anymore until they changed of courier company which -in some months time- they did.

Never dealt with either company so I can't comment on the service, all I can suggest is that you chalk it up to experience and add a "PLEASE USE REAR COURIER ENTRANCE" note to any further deliveries for your workplace.

Never dealt with either company so I can't comment on the service, all I can suggest is that you chalk it up to experience and add a "PLEASE USE REAR COURIER ENTRANCE" note to any further deliveries for your workplace.

A fair comment, but - I don't NEED to say 'Use rear courier entrance', nor should I have to. Add to that the fact the rear courier entrance has no postal address, and the comments box is never long enough to fit in an adequate description of how to get to it. I'll obviously be providing unnecessarily detailed instructions in future, but basically, I'm not in the slightest at fault here. Courier couldn't be bothered to do his job, it's literally that simple. I've checked with the security team downstairs, and the guy apparently walked in with the package, huffed and puffed about having to go to the back of the building, got in his van and buggered off.

It just annoys the hell out of me that UKT couldn't be bothered to take 2 minutes to fix what is so obviously a clear cut issue. I work in office facilities - If a courier delivery goes wrong and causes an inconvenience, I phone up said courier company and say 'We're not paying for this, you're writing a grovelling apology to the member of staff affected by the service failure, or we're taking our business elsewhere.' It works, because the courier company we use knows it's better to refund £15 than to lose £20,000's business per annum.

Basically, UKT just needed to forward my e-mail to their Interlink account manager/representative, requesting a refund. Interlink would have issued it, because their driver is undeniably the one at fault, and UKT could then pass the refund onto me. That way, there's no angry customer (me) complaining about it all over the internet.

No you don't need to, but it will help you be less stressed in the future ;)

Delivery drivers can be arses, it's well known but I certainly couldn't do it myself. All I'm saying is that providing a minimal note can help alleviate the problem you have experienced with a delivery driver using the plausible deniability that he wasn't previously informed to simply deliver to the rear of the building.

With UK Tactical maybe you need to escalate the problem as you are obviously not impressed that they haven't handled the situation in the same way that you would have done yourself, perfectly reasonable I'd say.

Perhaps it needs a "sorry that's not good enough, I would like you to facilitate a refund from Interlink or I shall take my business elsewhere", but they have the same excuse as there were no specific delivery instructions supplied.

No you don't need to, but it will help you be less stressed in the future ;)

Delivery drivers can be arses, it's well known but I certainly couldn't do it myself. All I'm saying is that providing a minimal note can help alleviate the problem you have experienced with a delivery driver using the plausible deniability that he wasn't previously informed to simply deliver to the rear of the building.

With UK Tactical maybe you need to escalate the problem as you are obviously not impressed that they haven't handled the situation in the same way that you would have done yourself, perfectly reasonable I'd say.

Perhaps it needs a "sorry that's not good enough, I would like you to facilitate a refund from Interlink or I shall take my business elsewhere", but they have the same excuse as there were no specific delivery instructions supplied.

Ha, certainly right on the first point :P

Still, I can see it would have been helpful to put the info, but would you put 'Please knock on the front door'? I mean that's pretty much how it is; The postal address is the main entrance, hence where the guy went - I wouldn't call a lack of information an excuse though, as no further information is required. Interlink can't hide behind that excuse, simply for the fact they make deliveries to this building all the damn time with even less info than I gave for the address - I'll be providing more detail in future to save the stress, but it definitely isn't an excuse for it, because the driver was informed by the receptionist when he arrived.

Still, like you say, it'll save the stress in future so I'll do it, but I wouldn't say it's plausible deniability or anything, just driver laziness (all too common).

Anyhow - I replied to the last e-mail with this;

"That’s a website (the one I just said didn’t have an e-mail address on it). Not to worry, I’ll take my money elsewhere in future."

I haven't had a reply to that e-mail yet (understandably, I wasn't really expecting/wanting one), but if UKT do reply or make any attempt to resolve the issue further than the above emails, I'll be sure to add it to the thread. I actually really like UK Tactical, but I have a principle of not using companies that deliver poor customer service - So I've really got my fingers crossed they're not done trying to placate me yet :P

Had a similar problem ordering from flecktarn involving fedex where they delivered a package worth severel hundreds of pounds to the wrong address, the driver left said package by the back gate (everythings back to front on my estate) of the house, when i called to find out where it was they said it had been signed for, I said well it wasnt me or anyone at my address which they told me there was nothing they could do, I demanded they calloed the driver and ask him where he left the package, he said by the back gate and so i went out and looked at my back gate, suprise suprise nothing there, I asked them to get the driver to confirm he had delivered it to the correct address to which he said yes, i then asked for a descrption of my house and he said it was the white house on the main road... I live on a close in a hald wooden house, I called him out on it and suddenly they admited they had delivered it to the wrong street.

I said fine go collect the parcel and Ill wait in for you, they then said it wouldnt be untill monday (it was a friday) I said you mistake you have to correct it, but vim willing to wait in saturday morning for them to deliver it then to which i was told if i wanted a saturday delivery it would cost me £10, i argued with the guy for a while and he said "not even the CEO would auth a sat delivery for me".... so I contact flecktarn only to be told there was nothing they could do and wouldnt refund my P&P cost, luckily through a series of phone calls I got the CEO of fed ex UK email address and emailed him the story, and hour later I got a phone call from the manager who I had been arguing with appologising for the mix up and the way he spoke to me and that he would personaly collect the package and deliver it to me him self that night, which he did at around 8pm on the friday night.

I spoke to flecktarn again and they where just not interested and dint even offer a token sorry for the inconvineince !! never ordered from them again !!

I know this is a cop out, but sometimes when I receive bad service, I just suck it up and keep on going back :tongue2:

Why? some stuff you just can't get somewhere else or other places are out of stock. Alternative is to buy from overseas which then you're at the mercy of UKBA.

Sorry to hear you plight hwagan!

Did you pay via credit card ?

Debit card actually, why for?

I spoke to flecktarn again and they where just not interested and dint even offer a token sorry for the inconvineince !! never ordered from them again !!

See that really shocks me, I'd rate Flecktarn's CS as the best I've ever experienced... Sorry to hear that man, that really is quite shocking!

I know this is a cop out, but sometimes when I receive bad service, I just suck it up and keep on going back :tongue2:

Why? some stuff you just can't get somewhere else or other places are out of stock. Alternative is to buy from overseas which then you're at the mercy of UKBA.

Yeah, I know the feeling... Put it this way, yesterday I made an order from ZeroOne, simply because they had what I needed in stock for a reasonable price. It's been over 2 years, so I'm interested to see if they redeem themselves.

Anyhoo, back to the UKT thing - I received the order about 17:25 last night; However, I still haven't had any further communication from either Interlink or UKT. My money is on the courier was contacted and realised he'd get in trouble so came back to deliver; Either that, or UKT have been onto Interlink and told them to sort it out. I'm hoping it's the second one, but I haven't had any further communication from UKT, so I'm not sure as to why it randomly appeared yet.

Did you pay via credit card ?

Debit card actually, why for?

See that really shocks me, I'd rate Flecktarn's CS as the best I've ever experienced... Sorry to hear that man, that really is quite shocking!

Yeah, I know the feeling... Put it this way, yesterday I made an order from ZeroOne, simply because they had what I needed in stock for a reasonable price. It's been over 2 years, so I'm interested to see if they redeem themselves.

Anyhoo, back to the UKT thing - I received the order about 17:25 last night; However, I still haven't had any further communication from either Interlink or UKT. My money is on the courier was contacted and realised he'd get in trouble so came back to deliver; Either that, or UKT have been onto Interlink and told them to sort it out. I'm hoping it's the second one, but I haven't had any further communication from UKT, so I'm not sure as to why it randomly appeared yet.

End of the day you shouldnt have to put further instructions when, as the OP said, the main entrance is manned 24/7 and the courier entrance is clearly sign posted.

That sort of negligence and then dishonesty on the part of the delivery driver is the sort of thing neither the courier or the retailer should want to be associated with.

End of the day you shouldnt have to put further instructions when, as the OP said, the main entrance is manned 24/7 and the courier entrance is clearly sign posted.

That sort of negligence and then dishonesty on the part of the delivery driver is the sort of thing neither the courier or the retailer should want to be associated with.

That basically sums it up right there. Fair, I got my package the same day in the end, but the courier company has no excuse, and UKT's response wasn't exactly helpful. I'm not saying they're a bad retailer as such, but I'm pretty annoyed at my overall experience. Considering I apologised for troubling them with an issue caused by their chosen courier company, it'd be nice if they were a little more helpful and sympathetic I guess.

The reason i asked is that when i have companys giving me the run around i just issue a charge back via my credit card and funny enough the issue is resolved quicker then you can say bob.

If a company gets too many charge backs they can have the option of credit card transaction removed from them it can also hurt their business credit file and they don't want that do they.

For thoese that don't know or ar unsure - under UK law the contract when you buy something is between you and the supplier - not you the supplier and the courier - when things *fruitcage* up it comes under uk law for them to resolve the issue not for you to play piggy in the middle and do the running about.

Edited by Apex
  • 9 months later...

Funnily, UKT have always been great for me. I know this has been said before though by the OP.

I remember once I ordered a pair of 5.11 TDU pants in my usual size - Large Regular. However on the the pants i recieved, the label they were in inches waist and leg. So they didn't fit, so I sent them back. talked to the guy on the phone who apologised because apparently those particular 5.11 pants changed from simple S/M/L to inches to accommodate the various sizes of operators. Anyway after my saying that size is everything (oh er) and told him my exact leg and waist measurements, he ran down to the warehouse and found a chap meeting my exact ish size. Then they tried on a number of pairs of pants to get the perfect fit for me!!

Strange, but great CS at the same time. I know what pants I need to order each time they are listed in inches lol