Haley Strategic on airsoft

Billy Bob the Sniper

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But Travis? Isn't airsoft a game? .___.

This video is going on my favorites list! Though honestly I had a feeling that airsoft was going to be accepted sooner or later, especially after I saw this video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aAMl22UihQ4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and gbbrs are terribly finicky still. for a reliable training item, with less hassle, an aeg with recoil offers a far better pew pew for the buck. remember, you want a reliable training item that you can simulate failures on, not a failure that you can simulate reliability on.

So damn true. However, since I've picked up my WE M4 I've gotten pretty good at locking the bolt to the rear at the first sign of trouble, whipping out my laptop, and ordering the usual parts. Think that'll carry over to my eventual AR15? :P

That's a playful argument I always hear supporting airsoft haha. But there was a comment on that video stating that Haley uses airsoft as a training tool, not for play/games.

Though there's no way of knowing that is Haley's explicit purpose until we see him out on an airsoft field :)

Presuming this has been put up on some RS forums by now? I'll have to go and search for some threads, I can't wait to see the stunned reactions of all the arrogant fatties who've never engaged anything more dangerous than a piece of cardboard and struggle to carry their weapon to their shooting bench, let alone run around with gear on all day.

Presuming this has been put up on some RS forums by now? I'll have to go and search for some threads, I can't wait to see the stunned reactions of all the arrogant fatties who've never engaged anything more dangerous than a piece of cardboard and struggle to carry their weapon to their shooting bench, let alone run around with gear on all day.

Found a couple threads on ARFcom:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1248790_Travis_Haley___Training_with_Airsoft.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/552284_Travis_Haley___Training_with_Airsoft.html

My only problem with airsoft as a training tool is the hopup...forgive me if i'm missing something here but woudn't some of the stuff that Haley uses, like canting the gun sideways to minimize exposure, throw of the accuracy? Or is this pretty much a non issue?

he does state that using airsoft weapons for any kind of range,zeroing of sights etc is where the similarity ends, the bottom line hes trying to stress is muscle memory.

How can some of these people honestly have never thought of training with airsoft guns? I'd train with a broomstick if it'd make me a better shooter. I just don't get it.

I'm "impressed" by how quick people change opinions and how, now, they never had any problem with airsoft. Although there still is the occasional perl of wisdom like "My feelings as well. I wouldn't disparage against Airsofters if they weren't douches or wannabes.".

Truly mind bloggin' ....

Although there still is the occasional perl of wisdom like "My feelings as well. I wouldn't disparage against Airsofters if they weren't douches or wannabes.".

Truly mind bloggin' ....

Well, those "occasionals" shoot RS, so they're definetly are badass.

I wonder how many of them can actually run around all day with the same equipment as an airsoft wannabe.

Those guy's are just as much wannabe's if not more, only having a RS gun, instead of airsoft, thinking they are Costa, the terminator or JCVD.

In short, both communities have douchebags.

to be fair, many real-steel shooters don't dress up in full gear and take photos as if they were a special forces team in iraq or afghanistan, complete with little accessories to make the photos look more 'authentic.'

this forum, on the other hand, has many such photos. the 'wannabe' derision is not without merit. if you don't fit that criteria, ignore it and move on.

Well, those "occasionals" shoot RS, so they're definetly are badass.

I wonder how many of them can actually run around all day with the same equipment as an airsoft wannabe.

Those guy's are just as much wannabe's if not more, only having a RS gun, instead of airsoft, thinking they are Costa, the terminator or JCVD.

To be honest i wouldn't go down this avenue since that would only add fuel to an already too big of a fire.

What i do find mind bloggin' is what makes them think that they havethe right to criticise others who do or think things differently, no matter how many credentials they might have or believe them have. I mean ... does the fact that i own a $3.5k Cannondale mountain bike make me a poser/wannabe, thinking that i'm Nino Schurter or Julien Absalon ?!

I will be the devils advocate here:

Given how easy it is to get airsoft guns I can see how people like MAG or MAAG could turn it around and turn it around to say that availability of airsoft guns not only promotes violent crime in children but also provides a means of training and promoting future terrorists.

And I am sure as soon as the home office/homeland defense gets a wiff of this they would probably come down with a ton of bricks. Not that there is any real evidence, but that has never mattered for internal security forces anyways :P

All they have to do is find the LARGE number of youtube video of Chinese geardo's airsoft gear the US doing fire and manouvre drills with AR15s on a walking range, to pin it as foreign agents against the western nations.

Watchout....SMGLee! :P

---------------

Muscle memory is one thing, trigger control and recoil control is the next. Those things can't be taught in an airsoft platform or applied at a game.

Sure, some defensive drills and some infantry minor tactics apply in both airsoft and real world, but the basics like fire control orders, which are essential in the military to keeping a platoon in a fight, doesn't easily apply in airsoft as suppressive fire in airsoft does not have the same effect.

So there are limitations to how airsoft can be applied.

And then of course when you have these cool toys in ones hand, people ALWAYS shoot at people for fun, that basically takes the training mindset out of any training day.

Since somehow i can't edit my own post for some reason ....

to be fair, many real-steel shooters don't dress up in full gear and take photos as if they were a special forces team in iraq or afghanistan, complete with little accessories to make the photos look more 'authentic.'

Using official camos ? Maybe not. Using brand name ( 5.11, Blackhawk, etc ) "tactical pants", "tactical shirts" and so on ? Using plate carriers with actual ballistic plates although they will NEVER EVER use them and so on ? Yes. I could go on all day but i think you get my point. The difference here is that i don't go around calling them "redneck f***" because they "waste" some thousand dollars on courses just to shoot around cardboard targets on the weekend and call it "self defence training".

FYI i'm not criticising RS shooters here, if anything, i'm jealous of them ... the only thing i could shoot at the moment would be shotguns and 6.35mm pea shooters ( although i am in the process of getting my licence for practical shooting, 9mm here i come :D ).

To be honest i wouldn't go down this avenue since that would only add fuel to an already too big of a fire.

What i do find mind bloggin' is what makes them think that they havethe right to criticise others who do or think things differently, no matter how many credentials they might have or believe them have. I mean ... does the fact that i own a $3.5k Cannondale mountain bike make me a poser/wannabe, thinking that i'm Nino Schurter or Julien Absalon ?!

I see you point, but next time, do quote me fully. As my last sentence explains it all. ;)

Since somehow i can't edit my own post for some reason ....

Using official camos ? Maybe not. Using brand name ( 5.11, Blackhawk, etc ) "tactical pants", "tactical shirts" and so on ? Using plate carriers with actual ballistic plates although they will NEVER EVER use them and so on ? Yes. I could go on all day but i think you get my point. The difference here is that i don't go around calling them "redneck f***" because they "waste" some thousand dollars on courses just to shoot around cardboard targets on the weekend and call it "self defence training".

FYI i'm not criticising RS shooters here, if anything, i'm jealous of them ... the only thing i could shoot at the moment would be shotguns and 6.35mm pea shooters ( although i am in the process of getting my licence for practical shooting, 9mm here i come :D ).

and they're not wearing 'special forces' patches or rank they haven't earned, are they? they're not photoshopping themselves into photos of iraq or afghanistan (we have a thread dedicated to that here, in fact), nor are they posing and labeling their pictures 'delta in iraq' or 'marsoc in afghanistan.'

the wannabe criticism is easily earned, and in many cases validly so. there are idiots in the real steel community as well, and they get policed up (sometimes) or start a forum (ar15.com). as i stated earlier - if the criticism doesn't fit, shrug off and continue movement.

airsofters are our own worst enemy when it comes to outsiders' impressions of the community. this video and endorsement by haley helps, but at the end of the day airsoft's reputation falls on the vast communities of users.

Come to think of it, wonder if Haley knows about GBBR's? Maybe those would be even better training tools, albeit more expensive.

Travis and some of his HS partners are long time airsoft afficiandos. He knows of GBBR's, but he's a long time Tokyo Marui fan.

Not sure how you can say a GBBR is more expensive than a Tokyo Marui Recoil Engine AEG since TM M4's are in $550+ and TM SCAR's $660+ with shipping to the US. He's got the funds to buy whatever he wants, so he chose TM's in this case.

Archived