Haley Strategic on airsoft

Billy Bob the Sniper

Every month I send downrange anywhere between 1000-3500 rounds of 9mm and 1000-2500 rounds of 5.56mm. A static IDPA target is good to practice and refine shooting fundamentals, and some run and gunning techniques. But until you have experience with shooting any kind of projectile at a target that is not only moving unpredictably but also shooting back at you, your application of the fundamentals is limited to a very specific training repertoire. Airsoft can play a role in FOF training if used right and the limitations of the tools are understood. It is an alternative to FOF training but I wouldn't say it replaces FOF training with SIMs and UTMs. Given the fact that LE dept training budgets are generally shrinking nationwide and the cost of SIMs and UTMs are relatively high, I would say that airsoft can be used as a means to supplement the additional training needed but can't be financially afforded to ensure that individuals put in harms way on a daily basis have just a few more opportunities to practice the skills they need in that crucial 1% of their careers.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the links Corps, interesting reading, though the amount of misconceptions flying around in there was fairly alarming. Gotta love this one:

Dressing up like a Special Forces soldier in the sandbox on the weekend to play with your buddies. Gay.

What the *fruitcage* are we supposed to wear? High heels and frilly dresses?

Anyone that's still using "gay" as an all-round derogatory word for something they don't consider 'macho enough' is a blatant moron in my book.

and they're not wearing 'special forces' patches or rank they haven't earned, are they? they're not photoshopping themselves into photos of iraq or afghanistan (we have a thread dedicated to that here, in fact), nor are they posing and labeling their pictures 'delta in iraq' or 'marsoc in afghanistan.'

What the *fruitcage* is suddenly wrong with people doing impressions in airsoft? Just because someone finds it enjoyable to try and emulate something they've seen and felt looked look, they're not automatically an idiot who thinks they really are a navy SEAL in afghan. People label their photos with such titles because that's what they've built a load-out based on, they've put effort in to it and then posted it because other people like to see said photos, because that's their hobby. If I've done an impression of a SAS bloke in basrah, I'm not going to call it "steve who works in homebase down camden" am I?

I'm "impressed" by how quick people change opinions and how, now, they never had any problem with airsoft. Although there still is the occasional perl of wisdom like "My feelings as well. I wouldn't disparage against Airsofters if they weren't douches or wannabes.".

Truly mind bloggin' ....

The real test is when this gets posted on Lightfighter :lol:

and they're not wearing 'special forces' patches or rank they haven't earned, are they?

I always find this particular comment very funny ... Why do people, specially on the RS community, automatically deduce that if it is an airsoft player the rank/patch/whatever isn't his ? What if i decide to go to a game outside my country and for re-enactment purposes use my own old rank insignia ( even if it is just a copy and not the original ) ?! Because i'm playing airsoft i can't use my own damn insignia ?

I'm "impressed" by how quick people change opinions and how, now, they never had any problem with airsoft. Although there still is the occasional perl of wisdom like "My feelings as well. I wouldn't disparage against Airsofters if they weren't douches or wannabes.".

Truly mind bloggin' ....

We just stumbled into the typical mind of a male consumer within the male fashion industry. :P

Its what looks cool on a range.

Whats the best gadget currently

Whats the newest model.

Whats been preached by the experts.

I ran a range a few weeks ago, watching these guys with 000's dollars of guns and gear; 5.11 gear, latest gas blocks and rails, piston ARs, NV enabled RDS.

Irony was:

- Sighted in everything for them, BUIS and RDS's. Took half a day to do that.

- Even after it was sighted, they couldn't hit anything on a range or with pop up targets on an advance.

- Yet they know how much each bit of their guns cost and the pros and cons of each of the parts, and where to get the best prices.

Funny thing...I used to do exactly the same thing for airsofters...I pick up a totall decked out airsoft gun, 90% of the time I know the iron sights won't be sighted in.

What the *fruitcage* is suddenly wrong with people doing impressions in airsoft? Just because someone finds it enjoyable to try and emulate something they've seen and felt looked look, they're not automatically an idiot who thinks they really are a navy SEAL in afghan. People label their photos with such titles because that's what they've built a load-out based on, they've put effort in to it and then posted it because other people like to see said photos, because that's their hobby. If I've done an impression of a SAS bloke in basrah, I'm not going to call it "steve who works in homebase down camden" am I?

well, if you dress up as something you're not, with all the bits and gubbins like fake flashbangs, expect to be called a 'wannabe.'

well, if you dress up as something you're not, with all the bits and gubbins like fake flashbangs, expect to be called a 'wannabe.'

I would expect other terms, as "reenactor" or "milsim player" thrown in aswell. If you or them prefer to focus on the derogatory, it's your problem.

LOL, I remember the debate I had here with people about the CoD:MW Foretrex 101 faux GPS unit they would buy and wear at a game.

I never understood why, but I can see that it can be real easy for other people to say: *cough* poser *cough* :P

In saying that, I have seen guys carry jet boilers in their vests, now that is class !

I'm fully aware of where it comes from, but the fact is that the people who dish out the 'wannabe' comments don't realise that actually 99% of the time the airsofters doing these impressions are not weirdos who actually believe they are in SF. Sure, there's a few twunts who do believe that because they put on some super expensive camo on a weekend and stroll around a bit (usually shouting "take your hits" and trying to order everyone around) they genuinely are awesome real world uber-soldiers, but RS shooters should have the common sense and intelligence to realise that these guys are a minority.

As per my thread in off-topic, I've had a lot more US-based RS guys come on to my youtube channel and give me grief and BS than compliments. However, I don't automatically assume they're all like that, so you don't see me going around slamming on all of them. It only takes about 30 minutes (maximum) of actually looking around the respective community boards and thinking about it properly to realise that the stupid minority is just that, a minority. Anyone who generalises (in either direction) is straight up lazy, and ignorance through sheer laziness is right up there my list of worst traits that a person can display.

My only problem with airsoft as a training tool is the hopup...forgive me if i'm missing something here but woudn't some of the stuff that Haley uses, like canting the gun sideways to minimize exposure, throw of the accuracy? Or is this pretty much a non issue?

Try it the next time you're in the field... depending on the range it may not be an issue. Try it with an actual target and you can see for yourself that the bbs hit (or not) the target. In our case, they did :)

For those unaware AR-15 is often ill regarded even in real steel circles. At least half of them are as bad as or worse than the worst airsofters.

Its a lego gun that's cheap, works really well, totally multirole, and can play dressup like the SF boys has on their. Who wouldn't want one to feel just that little bit more special? :) Its like owning a "potential" adventure...

If you are a real connoisseur of firearms, you would collect a whole bunch of obscure make rifles but give you the best kick and bang, but those guns would never have dirt on them. If you are a fanboy, you would have a whole bunch of AKs and M4s of all different rails and accessories, but can't shoot for peanuts. Then you have those guys who keep it practical, buy individual guns for a specific purpose, or buy different uppers and multicalibre bolt groups for their ONE AR :)

I would disregard anything said off bARfCOM. Place is a joke and always will be. I know its been said before but its funny to see people to be completely against is and say any form of airsoft is 'gay'. Then for some one that they all look to endorses it and they all of the sudden begin to like it.

And 3vi1-d4n I wouldn't say that because you have alot of guns that doesn't mean your a 'shooter', I have alot of them but yet I do have my main ones that I tend to grab for the range.

Software over hardware.

From what I've read on it, Lightfighter seems significantly worse than AR-15. Mil-photos's board seemed pretty shocking as well, just on there it's more british squaddies (I'm talking the scum types that had the choice between a life of crime/ASBOs and the army here, I've got nothing but respect for the decent infantry lads) than americans, slagging off everyone within firing range.

Its a lego gun that's cheap, works really well, totally multirole, and can play dressup like the SF boys has on their. Who wouldn't want one to feel just that little bit more special? :) Its like owning a "potential" adventure...

You know he's not referring to the actual weapon right?

Haley being an ex-CEO(correct me if I'm wrong please) of magpull has a pretty good idea what % gross profit came from the worldwide airsofting comunity. Now since he has his own company he is after a slice of that pie. Has his new DVD been released yet?

Magpul odds on will release a DVD in the future implementing airsoft tech a sort of "dynamic art of cqc" or "dynamic art of house defence" ;)

Bottom line airsoft is getting more respect slowly, = more money generating incomes and tax revenues = less chance of it getting outlawed or stupid restrictions being applied.

My 2cents.

Xao

Bottom line airsoft is getting more respect slowly, = more money generating incomes and tax revenues = less chance of it getting outlawed or stupid restrictions being applied.

In the US or the rest of the world maybe but in the UK one 'i'm bored lets have some fun' day or 'lets push poll ratings up' for the Government and we have no hobby. Hate to say it but it is true as much as well all hope it doesn't happen.

Anyway in regards to the video it is not a bad idea, the concept of using a low velocity toy that is a third to half the cost of a real gun is much better than trying to practice with the real thing. It is for these same reasons that practical shooters use airsoft, it gives the weight and feel without the danger of live rounds. However my only issue is that as 'great' as Haley is this all feels a little 'buy my new DVD when it comes out' like everything he and Costa did for Magpul. Saying that if it changes the opinion of some RS shooters than maybe it isn't a bad thing.

'FireKnife'

My take on the critisim of those who build impressions: When are you going to criticize people who dress up and go to American Civil War reenacments? What about Revolutionary War reenactors? WW1/2? No? How is that any different from airsofters building impressions? Yes, there are those who go overboard, even some who abuse it/lie about military service. It happens elsewhere too. The exact same can be said of real steel shooter community.

Ok, everyone has a right to an opinion, no matter how stupid. But that doesn't mean you have a right to demean and bully people who have different ideas on what they like to do with their spare time and disposable income.

Yeah, a lot of us like to do MilSim. If you're going to criticize us for that, then you're going to have to say the same about anyone who plays BF3, MW3, ARMA2, and so forth. The only difference between airsoft MilSim and FPS video games is airsofters tend to get a little bit of exercise.

But this is the Internet, where reason and logic are not welcome.

/rant

All of that said, it's really interesting to learn that Mr. Haley has engaged in actual airsoft gaming (hopefully good MilSim) as well as endorsing the platform for training. I wonder how TM's sales are going to do now that they got a bit of free advertising...

Archived