Night Or Day?

TacticalKid

The biggest issue during the dark hours is that you can't really move in any vegetation (except grass fields and similar) without making to much noise. Unless you have a NOD of course. This forces you to use roads and the like, making you a nice target for anyone with said NOD. As I don't have the money to spend on a good gen2+ NOD, and the gen1+ I had decreased my ability to move in the woods rather than increasing it, I'd rather gather some sleep when it's dark outside and be up at 0500 and ready to go out at the crack of dawn.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I like night games, but only if it's with the right sort of people. The thing that annoys me is people who have no idea about light disipline, there is not much worse than spending ages getting your eyes adjusted for the dark for some little **** to shine a million lumen tac light in your face from 5 yards away shouting what team are you on? Then his mate does the same thing 10 yards further up the path

Personally I like night games, but only if it's with the right sort of people. The thing that annoys me is people who have no idea about light disipline, there is not much worse than spending ages getting your eyes adjusted for the dark for some little **** to shine a million lumen tac light in your face from 5 yards away shouting what team are you on? Then his mate does the same thing 10 yards further up the path

I agree. Linked to this are those who, when stood at the back or in the middle of a group advancing down a dark corridor, will insist on shining their tac lights everywhere so the guys trying to advance up front stand out and promptly get slotted from infront and behind.

I love night games (woodland, not tried urban), but, as said above, only if people know what they are doing!

I've used head mounted NVG to great effect, along with a night sight on my M4, but my favourite is my dedicated NV riflescope bolted onto a sniper rifle. With this and my ghillie, I owned the night at my last game :)

• 2 weeks later...

Night! My god, yes, night...

Had a blast with a small team of 10 people ( private skirm, so 5 vs 5 or so ) in a small farmhouse.

Red LED light for navigation, barely used the white light I had. Just use your natural nightsight.

People underestimate natural eyesight. After some getting-used-to, I found the lowest setting of my RDS to be blinding and ruining my nightsight!

Stalk, shoot, stalk, shoot. Watch every step you take, pause every 5 steps to hear. Try and get as many stealth ( knife ) kills you can.

Sometimes it gets so quiet, your own heartbeat disturbs your hearing :).

love it.

I like night time playing but it makes me a bad team player. I am hard enough to keep tabs on during the day but when the sun goes down, I'm off! knife in one hand Mk1 in the other on a murderous rampage.

As yet I don't own and NV but my list for the new year is Thermal which is obtainable sub £3000 now. (no kids, no mortage, no flashy car)

Night games are fun but in this area we have a problem with them having a lack of players. Last night game I got further than I should have in pitch dark with no use of a nav light. Crept into a well light "village" and maintained this position for a good hour before getting a chance to ambush.

I hope to get some NODs before the night game season kicks off this year.

i have done both but only in CQB at night...

due to the range of our beloved airsoft, i found night (or dawn) game way better. the night game CQB are pumping way more adrenaline into your body. I have seen beginner checking during night game.

at Dawn it is also very good, the shadow are playing trick with your eyes.

It really depends on the type of night games. They can be fun, or just flat out dangerous with dumb people. I've had several close run ins with people being dumb. So much so that many people I know refuse to play night games. That, and my experience, has been that they suck. People either camp or become terminators.

With the right people and tracers+nvgs......way better than day. Day games are just easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Day for me.

It has to be such a perfect set of circumstances for night games to be fun. First and most important of all is just finding a full complement of guys who understand the etiquette of night games.

With that said, as has been noted above, when you get night games right they can be the best games you'll ever play.

Archived