Classified system - possible improvement?

Newer system or stay with the old?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Old system - I prefer the forum system
    • New system - I'd like to give that a go

I can probably tweak the number listed, also bumping wouldn't be possible :)

ooohh. so if I am seeing correctly from the link, it would be more of an ad system like eBay (except without the auction) instead of a thread system? very cool.

Would we still be able to use the different subforums? (Bulk Sales; Gear: Gas Gun & Accessories; etc)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup very similar, you can see example images in the links I stuck in. We'd still have sub categories in the new system, I'll have to have a look at how it would work for bulk sales and revision of lists as items are sold from them. I'm not sure if the sellers can re-edit their posts - I'll have a look see ;)

Has there been any discussion of "rewarding" sellers with positive feedback based off that given in the "B/S/T Feedback" thread from before the reputation system was implemented?

Edited by Leon Kennedy

I'd like to give the new system a trial, see how it goes - can always go back if it doesn't work, right?

From the demo page, it looks like the listings would close after a certain time - that seems like a good idea in principle, as it's really annoying to reply to a post only to find that it's gone and the thread just hasn't been updated.

• 2 months later...

Needing 100 posts before you see classified is to me counter productive to bringing ppl into the foirum. I came here as a newbie to buy a gun, learn about prices and whats out there. Now as a total 'neewb' I don't have 100 posts worth of anything yet.

Seems a shame to me to waste an opotunity to atract new players and forum members.

The reasoning behind the post limit is quite simple, and has been explained many times. It is there for the protection of all users, by preventing scammers/spammers etc from setting up false adverts and then running off with the money, and other such nefarious activities.

If you wanted to buy a gun, why would you come to a FORUM, rather than go to one of the many retailers out there? This is not a shop, it's a place for discussions and social intercourse.

Getting 100 posts is easy by even half-involvement in a few topics.

The reasoning behind the post limit is quite simple, and has been explained many times. It is there for the protection of all users, by preventing scammers/spammers etc from setting up false adverts and then running off with the money, and other such nefarious activities.

If you wanted to buy a gun, why would you come to a FORUM, rather than go to one of the many retailers out there? This is not a shop, it's a place for discussions and social intercourse.

Getting 100 posts is easy by even half-involvement in a few topics.

But buyers can't really scam people. I don't see why we can't allow people to view the classifieds without 100 posts. Disable posting until 100, but at least let them see. I've had plenty of friends get in to the game and I've suggested to them that they buy a used gun instead of buying new, so with the same budget they can get something higher quality. Unfortunately, they have to sit and look at the classifieds with me since they can't do it with their own account.

Provided you know what you are talking about. Just seems a strange requierment to me. One I'll probably not forfill and will make me use other forums. I know its not a 'shop' . but buying second hand to start a new hobby is a decent way to try it out at a lower cost. People join forums for many reasons. I joined to see the going prices for whyats out there and maybe get something I can afford. But ho hum. Theres plenty of other forums about.

Once you've bought your gun from another forum , come back and join in the discussions threads, the classifieds section is a tiny part of this forum, it's a wealth of knowledge used by people worldwide and has a lot to offer for new and seasoned airsofters.

100 posts is a small price to pay if your actually serious about starting this sport, I for one am all for it.I'm a member of quite a few forums, and there's nothing more irritating than someone pm'ing you , how much for this, pictures please blah blah , only for them to dissapear off the forum.

The 100 post protects buyers and sellers from spam and drunk/high idiots window shopping at 4am.

Just my opinion, if you want secondhand sales straight away but with no history of who your buying from or selling to, there are many out there , Just not this one,

good luck.

Jim

I quite like it, it's good to see a more dedicated system as often it's a bit of a pain trawling through to find what you're looking for only to find out it was sold and they simply haven't closed/updated the thread.

I would say that people with under 100 posts can view but not message/comment people via the sales system, I know a lot of my team, when they first started, had to use my account to even so much as VIEW the sales to see what was on offer and at what prices etc. But form a security point of view to stop spammers etc, only being able to view until you have 100 posts is quite useful.

The one thing people have to remember is that spammers, time wasters and null posters is often the biggest plague of sales forums, take Z1 for instance. Trying to sell on there can be a nightmare, so many people simply lowballing, spam posting, picture harvesting, anything other than even semi-serious offers on hardware that knowing someone has had to be around arnies for a week or two, and therefore knows the ruls and the atmosphere a little is very both comforting and helpful. However, being able to SEE what's on offer, even if you can't buy yet would be useful, especially those looking to see what current prices command for various set-ups.

Something that would be very helpful, previous prices, if it started at £400 and it's now £350 I'd like to see what the original asking price was etc.

True, but the chances effort involved in going to the person and PM'ing them, and not being able to post a reply, instantly weeds out automated bots (can't reply) and time-wasters (too much effort to go and PM someone (which with most people flogging their sales in their signatures means you don't REALLY need to see the ad to time waste)). Just an idea at any rate.

But buyers can't really scam people.

If they enter into a trade and fail to send their half of the trade on purpose then they can scam sellers.

The 100 post rule was put in to protect buyers mainly, but it does also give some protection to sellers although trades appear fairly rare compared to straight forward sales. Since it was introduced we've seen it prevent a number of people who had managed to scam members on other forums such as Zero In even posting in the sales forum, in one case a member who had been scammed and had reports of him scamming other people came over to this forum to post a warning about him, by which point he'd been banned for trying to spam his way upto 100 posts anyway.

Having the limit may seem counterproductive but I feel giving a small amount of protection to members who are active in the sales section is more important and has shown to work.

If people want to see previous prices the only thing I can think of would be to have an openly viewable archive section where completed and locked sales threads get moved to where new topics can't be created, moving the threads over could be a big task though unless there is a bulk way to do it, and a lot of sales threads don't seem to get updated when an item has sold or show what the final sale price actually was.

Rob has pretty much nailed it on the head. If members could view the forum but couldn't post, I think that would be even worse than now. A scammer could PM people to see if they wanted to trade, then get like 5 or so people willing and then offer the same gun to all five and hope that one or more would be willing to send their's first - or "at the same time" and then never send his out.

This way, people can post trade offers in the thread and there at least is some sort of trail. Granted this isn't some grand, intensive sales protection, but it is at least something.

I know a scammer could technically get to 100 and still scam people, but usually I would assume that they aren't willing to put that much time and effort in it.

I love the classified system here, every time I come here I feel like its an intellectual exchange of goods and offers between civilized people. Whenever I look at the classified sections of other forums, I feel like its just a bunch of random people screaming and flinging poo.

And WhiteHawksan, I'm not quite sure what you mean? Since there is a time limit on editing posts, you can always see the previous or original asking price by looking at the original post since the seller cannot change it later. Price drops are made by new posts so in fact there is a nice neat timeline you could follow to track the price. Are you talking about at other forums?

• 2 weeks later...