Classified system - possible improvement?

Newer system or stay with the old?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Old system - I prefer the forum system
    • New system - I'd like to give that a go

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could. And probably would. It is spar after all...

The 100 post limit seems to work well, I say keep it. It never bothered me before I got to 100, and probably not 95% of other members.

Arnies is a very social community, which happens to have a sales area too. If one joins just to sell stuff, it's probably not for you. It doesn't take long to get 100 sensible (ish!) posts, I think the mods have it spot on :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its not spamming. I went to look at shops 'recommended' by the forum only to find most of them had closed down. I wasted ages, If someone had bothered to either 'delete' them or mark the fact the shop had closed I would have been grateful. I would have thought other would have when arriving here as well.

are you a member of any other airsoft forum borgcymru? if so, 99.9% of whats listed in the sales on arnies is listed elsewhere, your really not missing out on some secret club where everything is 50% cheaper, the only difference is that you have to earn the right to view it, by contributing 100 usefull or relevant posts.

Well theres posts about the servers struggling and the need to delete the flop sum and when someone points out the dead branches you call it spam. For the sake of 6 posts you remove 70.

As I have said. I'm not a squirmisher I re enact. I came to to find info on that side, hence my asking on the FN FAL thread. Also the info on WW2 items.

As for 'building it up again' I'm not sure the response to this 'humongous over posting problem' has given me any encouragement to carry on here.

You read the rules when you joined here.

You spammed a bit, got told you were spamming, and spammed a bit more.

Your post count got reset because you couldn't follow rules and advice.

You get all pissy over this and threaten to leave, as many others have done, hopefully trying to bully the mods into reinstating said post count.

Not really helping yourself, are you?

Its not spamming. I went to look at shops 'recommended' by the forum only to find most of them had closed down. I wasted ages, If someone had bothered to either 'delete' them or mark the fact the shop had closed I would have been grateful. I would have thought other would have when arriving here as well.

What would have been more use and wouldn't have got your post count reset would have been to post a topic in this 'Site Suggestions' section and suggest that inactive retailer forums are removed and list which look inactive, posting a single word post in each one looks like blatant spam and just posting 'Gone' doesn't even hint towards saying it's inactive, posting something along the lines of 'This retailer appears to be gone/closed down' would have been more use and you'd have probably got away with it.

EDIT : Retailers and manufacturers who have subforums on here are not 'recommended' by the forum, they have simply requested a subforum as a way to advertise/communicate with members directly on here.

Also, you say you wasted ages, Arnie and Marlowe both have extremely busy personal lives and full time jobs which they do before they can even consider the admin actions on this forum, inactive retailer subforums have been flagged as something to sort out for a while but because they have limited time and some members do insist on not following forum rules it's always been the less important job to be done by them.

In addition removing inactive retailer subforums wouldn't actually remove the load on the server, the topics and posts within all of them make up a tiny portion of all posts and even when the subforum is removed they're dumped into the main section.

If everyone followed the rules and guidelines the moderator and admin team would have more time to do all the little house keeping jobs on here.

Edited by Rob15

As already discussed, this is an airsoft community forum that exists principally for the discussion of airsoft in its many forms. The classified section is a secondary feature for regular members. There are many countless other online sources of purchase for airsoft replicas where you would probably be better served, if your only intention in being here is to purchase a RIF.

Years ago we used to allow all members, regardless of post count to participate in sales. Whilst this did wonders for the forum 'popularity' (hundreds of registrations each month), this was because the forum became used increasingly as a place of commerce - a place where anyone could sign up, offer an item for sale or buy an item, and few questions were asked. This laissez faire attitude sadly resulted in increasing numbers of disputes arising due to individuals intentional defrauding buyers / sellers. As a result a 100 post requirement for access to the sales forum was implemented. Over time this has been tested and found to be the best safeguard for our members so as to ensure that they are buying and selling with reputable, committed members of the airsoft community. I have discussed previously lowering the post count requirement and the overwhelming response was that members were happy with the 100 post count - they feel it works.

Your idea for an optional registration scheme for sales is a good one, and definitely one that I will discuss with Arnie in more detail. Unfortunately for the time being you must play by the terms and conditions set for this forum - terms you agreed to when you registered to participate here. This includes not intentionally spamming so as to gain access. If you feel you cannot comply with these conditions, you are advised to seek alternate sources for purchasing a FN FAL. As already discussed, there are numerous other places on the internet far less concerned with duty of care to its members.

borgcymru - seems to me that you're the kind of person who would complain to the bar staff that the restaurant where you wanted to meet someone to discuss a private business transaction wanted you to actually buy their products before giving you a table to sit at....

When you think of this "real world" comparison, does your attitude seem reasonable? This airsoft website and forum is NOT a commerical site, auction site, sales site or anything else. It is a forum for discussion, conversation and suchlike that just happens to have a classified system tacked on the end. Much like a sports magazine you could buy in WH Smiths is a method of presenting information and articles and happens to have a few pages of adverts at the back.

You need to remember what the main purpose of the site, business, magazine, or whatever actually is, then you may find yourself better placed to use it to the best advantage or go elsewhere if YOUR primary purpose doesn't match up.

There are plenty of airsoft retailer websites that have second-hand/"pre-owned"/whatever sections on their shop websites. Those sites have the primary purpose of selling you things. Some of them have a discussion forum tacked onto the back. Do you get the difference, the point I'm trying to make here? Maybe you'd be better off looking on one of these sites?

Good luck finding whatever it is you're looking for.

• 11 months later...

Yes feedback is good 100 post count not so much.

I have had a account here since 03 I got

Out of the game in 09 came back here last year could not remember my login started new acct tried to build post count quickly got a bunch of from some users saying I was bot

Made me think if I really wanted to be part of this site or not I don't come here much because of that incident. I use a lot of sites for there buy/sell If you really want to make it so ppl don't get scammed make entry into buy Sell a pay feature cost you $30 a year to use a couple other forums I use do that really gets rid of riff raff that way.

Just thought of someone who can't use classifieds.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charging people to use the trades forum has been mooched around before. The issues arise around banning people and a perception that they are paying for a service.

bradw76: if you emailed me asking to access your old account I'd sort that for you. Let me know your old username and I'll run a couple of checks and merge it with your new one.

The 100 post requirement seems pretty good. I've been using a few of the other forums recently, purely because I couldn't get on to arnies classifieds and didn't know why. I've been learning the hard way again that there are scammers out there. I've also been out of the game for a bit and basically try to round up all the old RIFs I used to have, now that I actually have a paying job. Nothing ever seems to go down in price though, lol. That's one thing I've noticed. A KSC G18c, for example, is still up for the same price second hand as it woulda been 6-7 years ago. Interests have changed so much it seems though. Models which were popular years ago, are now discontinued, including the majority of their accessories. Anyway, I'm probably boring everyone and this is probably inappropriate for this topic, so I'll leave it there, with an apology attached :)