Dragonredairsoft Replica Ops-Core FAST ballistic helmet

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great video. I just wanted to share some first hand observations so far.

I've always liked the look of the Crye Airframe helmets on their own ... they've got a great aesthetic and a nice silhouette. I just don't like the way they look when actually put on someone's head. I find they tend to sit a bit tall and look bulbous (at least, the real ones I've tried).

I presently have a genuine OPS-Core Bump helmet (Carbon fiber) and I had a chance to handle a couple of the DragonRedAirsoft Ballistic FAST helmet replicas. One is a tan helmet, the other a multicam version.

I'm really impressed by the overall quality of these DragonRed OPS-Core helmets. For the money, these are hard to beat.

* The shell is light, made from ABS, and appropriately thick just like the real ballistic helmet.

* Detachable (velcro backed) padding is also decent, though not quite as nice as my real ones. Real pad sets are available from OPS-Core for $40 and are compatible with the replica helmets. I think the replica pads are fine though.

* The liner/Occ-Dial adjustable fitband is okay. Not as tight fitting as my real version. And if you try to over tighten it, it'll reset itself back to the loosest setting. My real helmet doesn't do that. Honestly, it'll keep the lid securely in place and is overall good enough. Also I think the felt liners that wrap around parts of the fitband need to be cut for more wrap around coverage. Parts of it don't stay perfectly wrapped around the fitband, but nothing most people will notice and shouldn't affect comfort or function.

* The adjustable straps on the harness feel just like the real thing.

* A very pleasant surprise was the fact that the bungee cords are the correct color (tan) and have shrink wrap around the metal/bungee connection point of the hooks just like on the real version. Earlier versions of this particular replica had the bungee cords in black. This has been corrected in current versions.

* The tan of the helmet looks a tad light, but I'll have to get it home to compare it to my real helmet. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the fact that the arc rails are black painted tan. The very earliest versions of the Bump and Ballistic helmets had black painted tan arc rails. I think it was gen 1 or possibly earlier. All the current versions have their arc rails cast in the appropriate color. I only noticed this when I pulled the multicam helmet out of the box and saw that some of the tan paint was flaking off the rails. Not the end of the world I guess.

* The helmet with the multicam finish is really nice too. Looks the same as any other licensed water dipped product I've got.

* The chin strap clip could be a little nicer. It looks the part but the male part doesn't snap into the female part of the buckle quite as distinctly as the real deal does. It seems secure though.

* Comes with the various mounts for tactical lights etc.

* Sizing: It says M/L ... but it's substantially larger than that IMO. To me, it fits more like a L/XL. This is compared to my real OPS-Core helmet which is a M/L.

Anyway, like I said, for the money it's a good quality replica. If you're in the market for one and like the look but don't need the true protective capabilities of the real helmets, this would be decent for milsim.

Note, quite a few companies are making these helmets right now. Save your money from the cheaper versions, and drop your coin on the DragonRedAirsoft versions. The other ones aren't worth it. The DRA ones are.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't me to thread jack, but a couple of questions. Well first off your review and uscmCorps's made me pick one of these up.

Fits fine on my melon, but the chinstrap is snug. Having never worn a helmet before except for football, generally how tight should it fit? Is it possible to buy a larger chinstrap set from OpsCore themselves? Thanks!

I typically tighten the chin strap so I can still talk freely. Going for the simplest solution did you push the locks on the chin strap all the way up? You can buy a larger chin strap if that doesn't work but I think you would have to buy a complete occ dial system which costs about $130.

In the next few days I will do a performance review after using for the past month and also a few things I added to my liking.

Good question. Here are more photos of the FMA brand ballistic lids: http://rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10&prodId=15493&cateId=75

I'm mostly interested in sizing comparisons between this and other copies like the Emerson and FMA, since I require an XL. Speaking of the chinstrap being too short on one side, is that to accommodate this thing?

If you need more length on the straps I would consider buying one of those Ops Core CBRN extenders.

That said, I keep my straps tight enough to prevent 100% articulation of my jaw, but loose enough to talk easily. That's the fitting you want.

Kojak: the DragonRedAirsoft might actually fit you. It's slightly larger than a regular M/L.

Another suggestion would be to replace the the two pads on the top of the head with thinner/softer pads, which in turn would lower the helmet and give more slack to the chin strap.

I think I'll survive. I don't imagine me needing it much looser, and I have slack on the front straps just not the rear.

If you need more length on the straps I would consider buying one of those Ops Core CBRN extenders.

That said, I keep my straps tight enough to prevent 100% articulation of my jaw, but loose enough to talk easily. That's the fitting you want.

Sounds like I have it right where I need it. Thanks!

Edited by Jrad51

Good question. Here are more photos of the FMA brand ballistic lids: http://rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10&prodId=15493&cateId=75

I'm mostly interested in sizing comparisons between this and other copies like the Emerson and FMA, since I require an XL. Speaking of the chinstrap being too short on one side, is that to accommodate this thing?

Well, my replica Airframe is on the way, but I think I'll go ahead and order one of these too so I can decide which I prefer.

• 1 month later...

I think that in replica terms the "carbon" would have a bolt-on NVG shroud and vent holes, and the ballistic version would lack the vent holes.

First Spear sells their helmet covers in "ballistic" and "maritime" versions--am I correct in assuming that the M/L maritime would fit replica bump helmets with molded NVG shrouds?

Based off my real Ballistic and Carbon helmets (both M/L) dimensionally they're a little different. The internal cavity is the same on both, however due to the added thickness of the ballistic shell, the ballistic version is externally a little larger (it's scaled up) than the carbon version. And obviously the carbon version has vent holes whereas the Ballistic has none. Both are designed to use a VAS shroud vs, the plastic base jump helmets which have the shroud molded in.

Regarding the First Spear covers, the jury is still out regarding the fitting on Carbon helmets. The covers are designed for the ballistic version which as mentioned is scaled up. So a M/L cover is supposed to fit a M/L ballistic helmet. However according to the rep I spoke to at Shot Show, it's possible the S/M will fit the M/L Carbon helmet better than the M/L cover. I have both size covers incoming, so I'll know more in a couple days. I'll also be able to test the cover fitting the replica ballistic helmets as I know someone who has one.

Borrowed someone's Replica Ballistic Helmet.

Confirmed. The real M/L covers DO fit the Replica M/L Ballistic Helmets from DragonRedAirsoft:

gallery_29472_1549_16369.jpg

gallery_29472_1549_21860.jpg

gallery_29472_1549_7646.jpg

If you have a real M/L Carbon or Base Jump helmet, you should get the S/M helmet cover. I confirmed that size cover fits those helmets on my own real Carbon helmet. AS for the replica Carbon/Base Jump Helmet I'm not 100% sure if it'd fit (as I don't have one), but logically it should.

Again, this is NOT an endorsement for the replica helmets ... the question was asked if these covers fit, the answer has been given. ;)

That's great but what was the point of these (rather expensive) covers again? The helmet has water transfer MC pattern...

I think the fabric colors look a lot better than the dipped pattern.

Also allows your helmet to change color/hue/shade with your uniform when things get wet. Something a painted/dipped helmet will not do.

Then, there's those of us who don't want to buy multiple helmets to wear with different color uniforms. A lot of events have a tan vs green and enforce headgear colors to match that of the uniform. This way, you can have your green color painted helmet and run a cover when you're put on the tan side.

-Ex

Edited by Extraordinaire