A&K SVD PAS CO2 to HPA?

Paleblue

Ever since I saw the testing videos of the PAS kit, (which is this: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/pas-co2-conversion-kit-for-aandk-svd-sniper-rifle.html) I knew it was a step in the right direction because the bolt pull of the A&K with stiffer springs was abysmal. However, I also knew that unregulated CO2 can be just as much as a nuisance. So why can't someone drill and tap a CO2 cartridge to run HPA? Here is the theorized plan.

18gnt3.png

I don't actually have a CO2 conversion kit on me, so I can't verify myself. But technically, couldn't this work? So a cartridge, in the cylinder is drilled, tapped, and connected to a hose as shown by the blue. The hose then runs through the spring guide and down to the grip and finally exits the gun out of a drilled hole in the grip to a regulator and an HPA tank. Is this feasible? :/

Thanks Horseman. I forgot I'd be pulling the bolt back. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the CO2 capsule will be empty. It merely serves as a transition. But can they be drilled and tapped? That's my main question. If that can be done, the rest of the plan seems do-able. Here is the revised plan.

2n0t381.png

So a metal pipe, or something both solid and hollow, is now connected directly to the CO2 capsule. To account for the backwards movement, the pipe will have o-rings to seal the HPA and will not be connected directly to the spring guide. Feasible?

I'd say you should make the metal pipe solid with the capsule, and make it move inside some sort of housing which is connected to the spring guide.

The bigger pipe which the CO2 capsule pipe moves within, could be drilled and tapped on the spring guide.

TBH, I am not familiar with neither the A&K nor the CO2 kit.

post-64595-0-89821300-1324124591_thumb.png

nah, paleblue's current plan should work.

i have drilled holes into co2 capsules. the metal is very brittle and likes to chip. i would advise trying to drill a hole with a drill press first to see if its possible to get a clean hole, otherwise youll have to get a custom capsule cncd for your needs.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly the entire cylinder that holds the CO2 canister is airtight. So you could just leave the canister out and use the cylinder space as a expansion chamber. The easiest way to do this would be to tap the bolt face. So you would have a hose running from the outside of your bolt to your tank. I wouldn't care, but I know to some that aesthetics does matter.

Drilling an existing brass CO2 bulb and tapping it is a terribly fiddly job and you are likely only to get it wrong over and over. I'd recomend that you get someone with the technical knowhow and equipment to make you an "adaptor" that would fit in the place of the CO2 bulb and have a strong thread for the external rig to screw into.

If the bolt is airtight, or some other setup like that, you should seriously consider getting a replacement part and taking it to the afforementioned mechanical person and have a new part made from scratch designed to take the external gas rig.

Particularly if the gun is designed to use raw CO2. You do not want to use hand threaded anything when you are using 850PSI.

Archived