During my latest shopping spree, I decided to get this nifty ACM reclica of the Accutact Anglesight. You can find detailed info on the real one, as well as a promo video here:

http://www.accutact.com/anglesight.html

This device is one of the most overpriced items I have seen in the RS world, (where people pay 60$ for a shotgun shell holder, anyway). 250$. For a piece of metal with 2 mirrors and some glass. Unbelievable. 30$ at ACMGear.com sounds a bit more reasonable.

Anyway, Im not here to smash their product, because it is actually great, just the price sucks. But thankfully we have the Chinese, avid to cheapen almost any product to make it affordable to us weekend warriors.

This device is basically a mirror system that allows you use the sights (from Aimpoints and Eotechs to your standard BUIS), to actually aim around corners, without sticking your head, your shoulder and other parts out that could get you “killed”, but without a heavy structure like the kitty cat.

PC100064.jpg

My first question, probably yours too, was: do I have to take it off to aim the gun normally? No. The mirror system lets you see through if you are looking through your sights in the normal position, no switch or anything like it to go from “corner aiming” to regular shoulder aiming. Because the glasses are about 2 fingers wide and high, they don’t cut down the picture of your optic, even on big aiming pictures like on the Eotech.

If installed correctly (just screw it on), it wont change the point of impact of whatever sight you are using. No adjustment or zeroing on this thing.just 2 sets of mirrors, hehe. On the other hand, this is supposed to work only with 1x or no-augmentation optics, but more on that later.

The structure that holds the whole mirror system is mainly metal and some strong plastic material (nylon on the real one) and looks like the low mounting rings for sniper scopes. It uses a thumbscrew to be secured onto the rail. The mirror box is only open on the back (for normal shooting) and on one side, for corner shooting. This led me to believe (while I waited for it, that this could only be used from one side and you would need to reposition yourself on the other side of a door, for example, to be able to use, but I was wrong.

The designers of course thought of this and made the box turnable: you can turn it right when you are on the right side of a door, hole, wall, etc. and left, if you are on the left.

I was kinda of afraid of the rugeddness, because of all the mirrors and glasses, but it feels pretty sturdy in my hands. Not that you cand step on it, but it will withstand normal handling and even light bangs against the wall, like most airsoft optics. No problems there (not going to try it out though, hehe).

To make it even better (this requires some training) the box can stop at any angle (not just one side or the other) for a whole rotation. This way, you can position it at 45º down and by holding the gun up and away from you, you can shoot OVER obstacles, like walls, trenches, etc. This will definitely need training, but imagine how cool it will be to get a kill from inside a hole!

I haven’t used it in battle yet, but I think it is more than a CQB aid. Ive been doing shots in my house at 30 meters or so and it works well, but then again, this is taking long-aimed shots. Sniper scene from “Full metal jacket” anyone?

Ive seen pics (promo, probably) of LEOs using it on the bottom rail of their handgun. There’s no way of holstering the pistol like that, obviously, but I guess you could carry the Anglesight in your pocket and take it out and screw it on in CQB situations. At 120 grams, this wont put much extra weight on a 1 kg metal pistol. Still, until you get the feel of it (the inverted left-right coordination) this will give you better results on a full-auto gun. I hope to be able to mount it on my M11 sometime.

I found the exact measurements of the real one: 1.8"x2.3"x2.75" (with mount)

46x58x70 mm (with mount).

Results with different optics:

ACM Micro-Aimpoint: Red dots with no magnifications are what works best with this.

PC100066.jpg

ACM Elcan Specter (only 4x maginification): Unexpectedly, it works! You just need to maintain the same distance for eye relief. Very cool.

PC100062.jpg

G36 with Mp7 style iron sights: More complicated to aim, because you are using two focal points, but it works.

P.S. The mirror box has Accutact markings on two sides.

PC100063.jpg

^ exactly my thoughts, unfortunatly as these look quite promissing. But I would ban them from a field too, not for blindfiring but because they could turn the games into a "everyone shooting behind cover-fest" and thats not funny at all.

But like everything in this world it has a good side which wont break the rules, you can carry it like it was a necklace (for example) and use it to peep around corners and see if its safe, which I think it is a very important feature.

BTW: +1 for ACMgear.com

EDIT: BTW, cant seem to find the angle sight, could you please post the link? thanks :)

Edited by Isamu

I dont think this would make people get more kills, just let them "blind fire" from corners, making the game more dangerous (for some people) or more static (for others). Sometimes aids are not good for the health of the game

I still think it is a valid and useful item used properly and under some simple rules :)

I agree, thats why I used Quotes :) but as steevols said, using it doesnt mean the other players will know you are using it and they will think you are blindfiring, which will lead to uncomfortable and unnecesary arguments :(

I prefer using it as a small periscope than in my gun. still very useful but nobody will complain :)

I remember someone (laylax IIRC) making a similar device to a few years back which attached to the rear of an aimpoint style sight.

Then as now the opinion is that they have no place in the sport.

All they will do is encourage cheating and dangerous play.

For example

Player A has this device, Player B does not.

Player A shoots Player B but all Player B sees is an AEG sticking around a corner/doorway.

Player B then assumes that if Player A is "blind firing" then it must be ok for him to do the same.

Player B then sticks his AEG around a corner and hoses someone point blank in the face

In the real world I can see lots of benefits for it. In the airsoft world it's a useless little trinket to add to your AEG.

I tested the RS version of this and the Aimpoint version on some RS guns some LEOs brought with them to a training day. While not traditionally considered blind fire, you loose a great deal of peripheral vision and that can be dangerous. You are literally limited to what you see through the optic and not much else. The LEOs were testing it and came to the same conclusion but it is still an option they're considering.

I do like the idea Isamu mentioned of using it as a corner checking device. Install it on a short rod and get a quick safe peek.

Not taking hits "is just straight up cheating" too If I recall correctly :)

Anyway, we are not the ones to judge, we can just give our opinions and let field owners ban or permit this device, voting with our presence (and wallets).

I personally prefer avoiding any risk of argument and use it just to peep around corners

I totally agree, that not taking hits is cheating, but If f I had to sink to their level to beat them, then so be it. Luckily, it would never get that far at the sites I play at, they have plenty of in game marshalls that would sort out devices like that long before I had to become something I really hate.

Not technically blind fire but I know from running a cqb site that if you give folks an inch they will take a mile.

The rule we run is you must present a target when you are shooting in an effort to combat players using the doors we have with windows in them as 'riot shields' . The way I see it its not fair to shoot someone if they have no chance of shooting you back.