WA SCW 1911 Wilson Combat Professional Parkerized

WA SCW 1911 Wilson Combat Professional Parkerized Model

Article by Twin_cam

Pictures by Hitman

Depending on whom you ask, the 1911 is considered to be the best fighting handgun ever designed. Based on the plethora of manufacturers build this pistol in all shapes and sizes, it would seem that shooters agree.

When I first started playing airsoft, all anybody had in his holster was an infinity. Nice, but who in the military or law enforcement uses an infinity? To compound the problem, there were very few single stack 1911’s on sale and everyone was gaga over Glock. After buying ever iteration of the Glock model, I finally found Nirvana. My favorite salesgirl sent me an SMS to tell me that a single stack 1911 was finally available. The first time I laid eyes on the gun I was in love. There was no denying the beauty of a Wilson Combat service grade cqb. I had to have it, and after seeing it, my wife also agreed that I had to buy it.

So began my love affair with the single stack airsoft 1911 and my need to improve upon the breed. What can you do to make a 1911 better? Lots, actually. It turns out that one of the best things you can do is make it smaller and easier to carry. This was Colt’s response to the shooting community when they asked for a “handier” 1911…the combat commander. Although I’m happy with a commander, today’s review is on something a little more special than your run of the mill plain vanilla commander. Today’s topic of discussion is the Wilson Combat Professional model.

The original commander was a chopped 1911 with a 4.25 inch slide versus 5 inches in the govt. model. This gun’s barrel is chopped even more to only 4.1 inches. The dust cover is also shortened to match the proportions of the shorter slide, but the full sized grip frame is still there to ensure controllability.

The western arms version is very good out of the box, with a very nice weight to it. The gun is equipped with a single sided safety, which should be fine even for southpaws. I got used to them a long time ago. The finish on this gun is parkerized, and the western arms finish is actually a pretty good rendition of the real steel coating. Because it has a truncated barrel, the professional must make do with a bull barrel and reverse spring plug with full- length guide rod. Sights are 3 dot Wilson combat pyramid sights and the grips are rubberized plastic. Nice, but not very thrilling.

Tuning began in earnest and the first thing that was done was to chuck the stock slide and install a shooter’s design replacement. This slide perfectly matches the western arms parkerized finish and looks like a factory piece. The reinforced recoil spring was cut to proper length and fitting began in earnest. Since this gun used the stock frame, the biggest hurdle was fitting the slide. As with all my previous 1911 builds, this is the most time consuming part and it requires a lot of patience to get the fit just right. Too loose and you have a sloppy gun, too tight, and you risk jams and breaking your barrel hood.

Once all necessary fitment was finished, tuning began in earnest and the finished product was tested and debugged. To crown it off, the stock grips were swapped out in favor of real Wilson diamond wood grips. It now looks as real as can be, and easily outdistances marui m9’s even with its hop set to zero. It now looks ready for CCW duty.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hitman/Twin Cam:

First time I have explored this part of the fourm, so I'm just seeing this review. What a great looking gun! How is the accuracy?

It shoots to point of aim and at 20 to 30 ft, all your hits will be squarely in the cardiac triangle, if you and the target are standing still anyway. I think that's sufficient for combat accuracy.