Retapping CA M24 -- Have Questions

Carter

Hey all, I am about to retap the screw holes of my CA M24 as they are stripped but I was wondering what size tap I should get. I don't really want to go out and buy a whole set as I feel that is an expensive purchase for something I should only need once.

So, for those of you with M24s and have retapped their stock screw holes...what size did you use?

Thanks

Oh and when tapping dont just screw tap in all in one shot!!

After it bites (one or two full turns in) progress with a full turn or so in and half turn out (you'll feel it getting harder to turn in) so it cleans the shavings out of the hole and doesn't clog up and rip out your new thread ;)

You prob know this already but just thought i'd throw it out there to save tears later!

Here is the biggest problem. I bought this gun used as a fixer upper and the gun did not come with any screws securing the trigger mech to the receiver (which is where the stripping occurred btw). So unfortunately I can't just take the screws in somewhere to match them up which is why I was hoping someone would be able to tell me the sizes/types/whatever I need.

Bring the receiver and mech with you would probably be the best idea and get everything at once.

If its not imperative that you have to replace the screws with original thread size just go up a size instead so you wont have to use a helicoil....A helicoil is only necessary if you need to keep the original size, otherwise go up a size.

To save a lot of messing about bring it to a mechanic or engineering shop as its a ten min job for somebody withe the right tools and parts bins full of bolts and screws. They will probably fix it for the price of a decent coil kit as they aint too cheap.

If you want to do it the ignorant (not very adviseable) way get screws approx lenght (measure hole depth with a toothpick or biro inner) and 2mm bigger than the hole and just drive them in. BUT do so at your own risk, future removal and strenght of fix may be nightmarish

If i was you i'd get sombody to do it, in this case its the easiest and cheapest solution

Ha yeah I suppose I didn't make my problem totally clear. Yeah I think I might just take it somewhere, my old man works at a tractor dealer so hopefully the mechanics there have the right tools. I wanted to try this myself but since I don't know the details of what I need it might just be best to let a professional do it.

The screws that hold the trigger mech to the receiver are M3 course, about 10mm long. Using a larger screw will be a pain as there are two blocks on the M24 trigger mech that the screws pass through, and as you can guess, they are drilled to take an M3. If you want to go up in screw size then these two blocks will have to be drilled out as well

And I still can't work out why I have a complete M24 trigger mech in the spares box - it must have been there for yeeeeeeeears.

The screws that hold the trigger mech to the receiver are M3 course, about 10mm long. Using a larger screw will be a pain as there are two blocks on the M24 trigger mech that the screws pass through, and as you can guess, they are drilled to take an M3. If you want to go up in screw size then these two blocks will have to be drilled out as well

And I still can't work out why I have a complete M24 trigger mech in the spares box - it must have been there for yeeeeeeeears.

So to nutshell it its not really a job for anybody not experienced in the world of spanner spinning :D. Even when you are stripped threads are never fun.

No but if your not comfortable doing it yourself and you dont want to f**k it up get somebody to do it for you was more my point. If you screw up the coil its going to be even more expense. Judging that he had to ask tap size when he had the rifle there he has more than likely never used one before.

Apologies to the op if i made it out to sound overly complicated

Archived