Glock 17 IPSC gun?

Kunlun

Hi all

I ordered a Tokyo Marui Glock 17 custom in Flat Dark Earth for some basic IPSC shooting and CQB skirms and I have a few questions for the experts here.

Already ordered these parts:

- PDI 6.01 palsonite barrel

- Shooters Design 150% hammer spring

- Shooters Design diamond extended magazine catch

- Nine Ball recoil spring guide pro (with buffers)

- Nine Ball HU bucking

I want to order these parts aswell in the near future:

PDI piston head

Airsoft Surgeon super hard loading nozzle

Shooters Design enhanced magazine gasket

Airsoft Surgeon CNC Caspian slide+comp

TSC cocking handle + mount

Airsoft Surgeon reflex dot sight

Guarder G17 frame in black

Questions:

1: Will the thumbrest and magwell from the G17C fit into the frame of the Guarder one?

2: Will the recoil spring included in the Nine Ball recoil spring guide be strong enough to cycle the metal slide? Because I can not find a Shooters Design 150% recoil spring in stock anywhere! :( Any other option?

3: Any remarks/recommendations?

Many thanks in advance :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a Gunsmodify zero hammer for the glock, I've heard good things about it. You can get it at WGC.

Also, there's a brand that Ehobby calls SA (but its actually SAPH) that makes quite a number of bits for the glock. Get the adjustable trigger lever and the 200% recoil spring from SAPH, which you can order off ehobbyasia.

Also run KM high flow valves with your mags. The KM valves can adjust it's height via the shims included with the valves. You can shim your valves to the highest height without it snagging against the glock valve hammer (remember to test with gas in the mags as the gas pushes the valves higher) so that the valves will have the widest opening when the hammer strikes the valves to allow more gas to rush into the BBU.

Nice choice on the slide set. I couldn't afford that so did a poor mans job.

The stock TM barrel is 94mm, when i did mine i ordered a 5.1" hicappa inner barrel, thinking it would be 120mm, they are 112.5mm long, if i had just got a threaded muzzle adapter then that is long enough to hide the 112.5mm barrel. I was self building a compensator based on 120mm barrel.

Anyway your barrel and hop rubber are good choices.

I belive the Guarder frame is a stronger material than stock Mauri, it should be identical. The thumbrest on the G17c is held in place by a metal pin, this holds the hammer mech in place in the frame. Do not attempt to fire the pistol if the metal pin is out of the frame. The thumbrest should should fit fine.

The TM magwell. I bought one for my TM G17, the lower frame is the same as the G17c, if the Guarder is a direct copy then it will fit fine. However you will need to glue it in place for a more secure fit and some shaping of the magwell will be needed for a flush internal fit, 5-10mins work with a file and craft knife.

You will notice the difference in mag changes when fitted :)

Also worth looking into is the Magpul base plates. Just got some for mine, again a vast improvement in mag changes over the standard flat bases, only downside is regassing mags is a bit tricky unless you have a nice long nozzle on your gas can. Bit flash but they do offer an improvement in handling speed.

Didn't know about the Glock mag routers, good find as Nineball only make theres for 1911/2011/Sigs.

Army brand G17 mags have a tighter fitting router than TM mags, also the knocker valce sits higher than a TM as well, (got 1 second hand to try) will have to chrono it against a stock TM mag see if it's letting more gas through.

Piston heads.

I went with an Action vented alloy head in the stock TM nozzle. It needed work to fit, and then needed a lot of running in as very tight.

Don't be surprised if you have problems fitting items, this is normal even when the product states it is for what you have....drive you nuts that will.

Will see what i have left in my photo limit and maybe whack up a piccy later.

Get a Gunsmodify zero hammer for the glock, I've heard good things about it. You can get it at WGC.

Also, there's a brand that Ehobby calls SA (but its actually SAPH) that makes quite a number of bits for the glock. Get the adjustable trigger lever and the 200% recoil spring from SAPH, which you can order off ehobbyasia.

Also run KM high flow valves with your mags. The KM valves can adjust it's height via the shims included with the valves. You can shim your valves to the highest height without it snagging against the glock valve hammer (remember to test with gas in the mags as the gas pushes the valves higher) so that the valves will have the widest opening when the hammer strikes the valves to allow more gas to rush into the BBU.

Gunsmodify zero hammer: check

SA trigger lever: out of stock :(

SA recoil spring: check

Not too fond of HF valve, will check first with the other upgrades installed

Hate to blow my own horn but check my reivew here, http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/197498-tokyo-marui-glock-17-3rd-generation-gas-blowback-pistol/ specifically regarding the piston head and muzzle. I do believe that I was not able to get the PDI head to work with the AS muzzle.

Mmm, so run with the PDI head and stock muzzle? Getting good results with that?

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming! :)

@ Dagonet: Cheers for the info mate!

I like the Magpul base plates aswell (I had them on my KSC G19) but I think I am going to order the G17C mags which have the big base plate anyway.

Also, anyone got experience with the 50rd mags? Any issues?

I will take a piccy of the base plates later for you and put in here, Fobus quick draw mag pouches are rather good too, will include that in piccy.

50rd mags. Here in the UK it's way cheaper to get a 50 over 2x25s, just the extra length and weight to deal with. Maybe too bulky for ISPC duties, but for storming a building when all players are limited to single shot only indoors then yeah worth getting one for bunker busting :)

For magwell use anything with an extended base plate will be better than stock flat ones.

I started a thread a year ago, did some strange things to my G17 might be helpful to you as well.

www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/190931-race-gun-tuning/page_p_2388591#entry2388591

I removed the short stroke spacer in the end for general play, so i don't have to count shots. I have short stroked the trigger travel by inserting a pad to stop the full return of the trigger. The safety still works (just) but the dead travel to disengage the safety is gone, a minor tweek but that and short stroked makes for lightning fast double taps.

Oh yes look into trying heavy BBs out :) i get 40m hits on .28s makes them jump when they pistoled at range, boxmag rof'ed up aegplayers don't like that :rolleyes:

@ Dagonet: Cheers for the info mate!

I like the Magpul base plates aswell (I had them on my KSC G19) but I think I am going to order the G17C mags which have the big base plate anyway.

Also, anyone got experience with the 50rd mags? Any issues?

I had a friend telling me that highflow valves didn't matter in his 2011 build since there's enough gas volume per second rushing into the BBU already. I run a 1911 myself so the highflow valves were a significant improvement to the gas efficiency of the gun.

Since you're running a metal slide + 200% spring the highflows MIGHT help you against the resistance of the slide moving backwards. I recommended them anyway since there's no disadvantages other than blowing a hole in your wallet but since you're considering an IPSC build I would've thought you'll like the best of the best with cost being a non-issue in most parts. But I'm getting off point...See if you have friends with a highflow valve glock mag after you've completed your build and compare the differences between a mag with the stock valve and a mag with a high flow. If there is a noticeable difference in performance (I'm assuming it's a performance increase) then see if that justifies spending money on the high flows. If not then don't bother :P

Cheers for the info!

I will order a normal mag first so I have 2 mags and when I am going to skirm I will probably purchase an extra long one :)

I was told that the AS reflex dot sight stays on even with the protection cap on? Is there any other alternative than the Element version? :/

Kojak, i reckon it fits on the trigger pin and two screws into the frame ?

The FAB defense Glock mount is cheap and for real Glocks (about £30-35 in the UK) that has a 20mm mount and held secure by pushing through the trigger pin with an extended one.

Also there is a cheap ACM mount that fixes via grub screws to the frame RIS rail (about £25 in the UK) cheap alloy casting.

The drawback with slide mounted red dots is the extra weight. Make sure the slide is cycling correctly and the pistol is running right before mounting one up. It will take more energy to cycle.

I had looked at the FAB but unsure if it will fit a TM as TMs are slightly off-sized to real Glocks and the trigger pin may be out of position. I was taking more of an interest in the ACM rail mount, as i could run a scope then. ( i am english we are slightly nuts )

Some good Glock loving going on here....there ugly they need some loving :)

Ok piccys.

First piccy, TM magwell attached to a TM frame. Hopefully in the piccy you can see the frame has to be bevelled in line with the magwell and smoothed over with expoxy for a good snag free finish.

The magwell is plastic and held in place by a allen bolt. Due to the 3/4 wrap around design it is possible to snag the edges and rip it off when running through undergrowth with the pistol holstered... not me someone else did that. Bit of extra glue will solve that. The TM magwell was cheap and very light. A full wrap around metal magwell will be more robust. Sure i read somewhere that a WE hi-cappa magwell has been fitted, but did require a lot of work. That may well be hiding in the Glock picture threads on here.

Second piccy. Side view of pistol and Fobus quickdraw mag holster. The Fobus is belt fit only, cheap and very good for urban/CQB or a budget ISPC set up. It dosen't work so well in woodland when crawling about, as mags can get pulled and the BB track is partly exposed to picking up dirt and thus jamming BBs which you find out when you get the drop on six players and only shoot blanks.....all there AEGS fed perfectly....i wasn't to happy with that result.

Third piccy. Just got a brown Guarder 4 mag pouch, for 9mm double stack style mags, molle fitting. Cheap, 2 slots are tight, but for £12 happy with it.

Fourth piccy. A real one !

post-65039-0-06999500-1324668247_thumb.jpg

Yep Fobus twin mag pouch is real. They are quite cheap £15 in the UK, the holsters are cheap too, but i think you need to order one for a .40cal real Glock as the Mauri Glock is not sized the same as the real 9mm Glock, the Glock holsters are a little harder to get in the UK as airsoft glocks are different.

Mako, thats the FAB one ? yes ? again it comes down to the trigger pin placement on real compared to airsoft. Can't remember if it's KWC/KWA one of those is the same as the real one but TM aren't.

Bit of a epic search a couple of real mounts crop up in the Glock picture threads, if you have a free day to search through all 200+ pages, you just don't get much action going on with Glocks with tricking them up.

Mako is this one: http://www.opticsplanet.net/mako-group-fab-defense-black-tactical-scope-mount-for-glock-48706.html

So yeah, the FAB one :) I guess for now the only solution is a docter sight on the slide ... Just worried about the sights resetting and eventually breaking because of the blowback ...

Joy of airsoft clone sights :)

I did stray into the real IPSC forums. Mixed views on slide mounted sights, most seemed happy, some had issues with zero shift or internal damage, and thats on real Docters etc etc, even real ones have a lemon rate.

I would work on getting the pistol up and running correctly first, then look into what sighting system to go for.

First bad news: all of the Airsoft Surgeon slides @ scopeandlaser are out of stock, even when not mentioned on the site itself ... Been looking around but it is going to be very hard to find an AS G17 slide that is in stock :(

Seems to be less stock choice here in the UK... as if Glocks had fallen from favour, used to be a few slides available, now seems to be Guarders only. Outer barrels seem to have vanished as well.

Still a stock TM will be good to 30m+ for game days, more with a barrel swap and internals.

Strangely i did find real scope mounts in stock in the uk (£52) but not sure if the trigger pin is correct to real Glocks for mounting.

Might have to buy some bits incase there is a global Glock bits shortage going on.

Keep hunting a slide set may turn up :gun2:

Rock out with your Glock out !

Found a Airsoft Surgeon slide in stock @ BoomArms: http://boomarms.com/shop/item.cfm?id=AS-SLIDE-G17SA

I like it! As of now I am still waiting on my Glock17 from AirsoftHQ, no replies to mails whatsoever so take it from me: NEVER order there! It's been 3 weeks since I ordered and there is NO form of communication at all ... If I knew this all along I would have ordered elsewhere :/ Thing is I paid by bank transfer >_<

Also, too bad there are no scope mounts like these: http://www.ipscgm.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=372_381&products_id=1560 :(

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, finally after 3 weeks of no communication at all from AirsoftHQ, they finally mailed back saying they will send my Glock ... All the other parts I listed before have arrived except the AS slide, I will shoot the gun with the orginal slide for now.

Oh btw, NEVER EVER order @ Airsoft HQ !!!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived