My M40A3 Project

trdsupragt

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it's a "sniper" rifle, or a bolt gun, I thought I'd start here. I apologize in advance for the lack of detailed photos because I am the type of person where once I get started on a project, i won't really document that well until I actually near the end of it.

Yes yes, I know, the M40A3 has been done time and time again, but it's a gun that I really like the looks of. I'd been wanting an M40A3 for some time but never thought it was worth it to get a Fortress stock back when they were first released. Most of you, if not all of you, will know that they broke very easily and were ridiculously expensive. Well after the college quarter ended and my winter break started, I decided to finally jump on this project and get started.

I started off with a Kart M58 (or M40A1). While it's not the best shooter out there, I'm not a big airsofter so this suited my purposes. I shoots decent and shoots where i want it to go 90% of the time. The part that appealed to me most was the bull barrel. As cool as many stocks look out there, sometimes it just ends up looking oversized when the barrel looks dinky as hell. In any case, here's a photo of the starter. When I bought this gun, it actually didn't have the ugly texture like some have commented on. It was more of a rubbery smooth black and didn't have any texture at all.

IMG_1801.jpg

Here's a photo after cutting the thumb rest area. This was the first obstacle to overcome as I didn't know how to get the ball rolling.

df0ef401.jpg

Finally some molding of bondo onto the rear of the stock.

e55c872b.jpg

Now it's starting to look a little like an M40A3?

IMG_1807.jpg

Notes:

Currently, I'm only using bondo to get the overall structure and shape of the stock. Once that has been completed, I'll be reinforcing it with sheets of fiberglass mostly around the pistol grip area, as that seems to be the weakest point of the stock.

My only reference throughout this project is the McMillan website and scattered photos of the actual M40A3/A5 and other forums of people posting pictures of their own McMillan A4 stocks.

Hope you guys like the project so far.

It's a Kart M58 that was shaped like an M40A1.

That's a pretty good looking stock you got there Geri. Not bad yourself lol.

I've got some more sanding and a little more bondo to go, but here's the latest photo I've got. It's mostly little nooks and crannies that I need to fill in and fine sand now. Then comes the details like the saddle cheek rest and the stock pad.

IMG_1808-1.jpg

Thanks CHIFF. As pleased as I am with the project thus far, just the stock alone is rather heavy already. So I'm not sure how field worthy it would be. Then again, I don't even play much anymore.. So I guess that's somewhat redundant. I'm now in the final phases of molding and sanding and getting the little details on the stock smoothed out. Then comes accessories, like figuring out the saddle cheek rest and the stock pad.

Geri, what did you use for the shoulder pads? I'm trying to find something that will work for it.

I emailed McMillan and they told me to give their customer service line a call, and the people there will send me a set. Though I don't know how much they cost, as I haven't had the time to call yet.

New picture. I still need to add some more to the stock as it's feeling kind of uneven. The hook needs work, as well as the ledge where the pistol grip is.

76906433.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The colour my largest trouble, but you may see it that on the end of the stock there are little indentures and where the edges of the casting mould meet they moved away from their place compared to each other in some places. To the next I will solve the problems, and sadly will be black, I cannot hit the suitable green colour unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived