Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes me happy is no more 'work a 12 hour day, then come home and decorate until half 12 at night' to get the house ready for sale. Finished last night, and early finish today!

Ps, does anyone want to buy a house in Lytham, Lancashire? 4 double bedrooms, big garage, loads of space for airsoft kit... :P

and a go on the missus, that must be worth at least £50 :P

Unless he's stirring your porridge

Anyways what made me happy was the other half not engaging brain before mouth. Before going shopping she asked me to see if you can get gravy made especially for babies, by asking for "baby gravy"

Edited for *suitcase* spelling

Walked an interview last Friday, got the job today. Result. More airsoft tokens for me :D

Thinking about changing my car. Lowest insurance quote £750, highest £10K lol. I do wonder how the expensive ones stay in business.

Yeah, the insurance business is such a joke. That was for an MKIII Golf 2.0 16V. So not really that sensible ha ha. But as you say, you can get quotes for proper, performance cars at a fraction of the highest quote for a fairly low spec hatchback.

That was only from one of the compare sites by the way. I'll try all of them and then go to my broker and see what they say.

My best insurance quote was last year - I currently drive a 2005 VW Passat Estate 2.0 TDI SE worth about £2k, £2.5k tops - so I get a quote for £1100 with an excess of £3.5k (This was by phone.) I just said to the guy on the other end - "Are you serious? My car is worth maybe £2500 and you want me to give you half the car's value in a premium and then have a three grand excess? Would YOU take out this policy if you were me?"

At least the bloke had the decency to say "No, I guess not. Sorry for wasting your time."

A lot of my friends drive without insurance, what's a £250 fine against a 5000+ insurance quote for being under 25?

I was FAR less than impressed when my quote for my old 125cc run-about went from £125 fully comp to £225 in a year, with me getting older (23-24) and having an additional years no claims. I politely told them where to shove it and found a different insurer, but it's silly what they decide to charge you these days, it's like they WANT people to drive without insurance...

A lot of my friends drive without insurance, what's a £250 fine against a 5000+ insurance quote for being under 25?

If you'd like to give me their details, I'll report them to the police - these people are part of the reason why premiums are high.

Someone has to pay for the damage that uninsured drivers cause when they have crashes or whatever, since they don't have insurance to cover it and presumably can't pay for it themselves.

Honestly, anyone driving illegally - without a license or insurance or road tax or MOT or whatever, should have their car confiscated and either sold at auction or crushed into a cube at their expense (depending on the value of the car). Maybe THAT would be more effective than a few points and a fine.

The reasons premiums are high is pure profit hedge. I've claimed all of £0.00 in my 7 years of driving. I've paid £3,000+ in insurance premiums, someone's making a mint out of my safe driving and I'm not rewarded for it, in fact, my insurance costs have risen every year despite no-claims, age, years experience riding etc getting better and better. Rewarding safe drivers my *albatross*.

A lot of my friends REQUIRE cars to get to and from work, they also cannot afford £500/pcm just to drive to and from work.

Oh, don't get me wrong - motor insurance is legalised robbery. Home contents cover is done on "new for old" or agreed valuation basis, but motor insurance charge you a premium based on what you think your car is worth then if you make a claim suddenly your car is worth a whole lot less and that's what you get. I could go on, but there's only so much time...

The point is that uninsured drivers DO increase insurance costs for the rest of us, on top of which the insurance companies put their profit margins. They ARE breaking the law and they SHOULD be punished for it.

Well to para-quote your example:

I looked at getting insured on my ma's diddy old micra (safe bet you assume)

1995 Nissan Micra 1.0 worth about £400 - so I get a quote for £4768 with an excess of £2k (This was by phone.) I just said to the guy on the other end - "Are you serious? My car is worth maybe £400 and you want me to give you 11 times the car's value in a premium and then have a two grand excess? Would YOU take out this policy if you were me?"

I just left it as I have a motorbike for getting about in the country.

Which doesn't alter the fact that the increasing numbers of uninsured drivers are driving up the prices for the rest of us.

With an insane quote like that, I'm going to assume you're a newly-qualified male driver under 25 with no previous insurance or no-claims. It sucks...

The quote I mentioned before was all the more ludicrous since I was 30 at the time, and had 9 years no-claims.

The quote I went with in the end was over £700, the best I could do anywhere, still some £200 more than the year before it. :no:

Actually I had 6 years transferable no-claims on a motorbike, it was over 7000 without...

The thing is a lot of my friends would pay if it was even slightly practical, but if you're working as a farm hand making £450/month, there are no busses out in rural devon. My old houses nearest bus stop was 5 miles away and ran once a week.

So it's a life on job seekers or driving without insurance that costs more than your entire paycheck.

the price of insurance is driven up by backhand means, not uninsured drivers, it's driven up by deals between garages and insurance companies, lawyers and insurance companies, they are paid by the claimants insurance company to vastly overcharge the faulty party for profit.

The thing is a lot of my friends would pay if it was even slightly practical, but if you're working as a farm hand making £450/month, there are no busses out in rural devon. My old houses nearest bus stop was 5 miles away and ran once a week.

the price of insurance is driven up by backhand means, not uninsured drivers, it's driven up by deals between garages and insurance companies, lawyers and insurance companies, they are paid by the claimants insurance company to vastly overcharge the faulty party for profit.

Hate to be the one to say it, but if that's all they're getting, then they need to find a better job, or learn to live with it.

If ANYONE I knew was driving without insurance I would give them 1 week after telling them to sort it out. After that, it would be a phone call to the police.

Also yes, while insurance isn't exactly the most... moral or industries (to put it lightly) most of the price increases are from idiots claiming for whiplash when they don't have it, and couldn't possibly have had it. If (lets say) 1/10 people that have a crash and make a claim on insurance claim for whiplash, that'd MASSIVELY skew the average pay out.

I work in the motor trade. You either get big or little insurance jobs; I.E. either they've cracked a bumper and a headlamp, or need a new entire front end of the car.

While yes, the big jobs are expensive, and if you've damaged any armco or roadsigns, that's megabucks, i reckon the average for claims should work out around £2000, or £2500. (this is including all of the small jobs such as total £500 for a new bumper and painting, or £350 for a new wing mirror, etc).

Lets say 1/10 people start claiming £4000/5000 of 'personal injury' in the form of whiplash compensation for time off from work, and pain, and all that other guff. Average for claims suddenly skyrockets to £5000/£6000. At which point, yes, it makes sense to charge somebody as much as you can because statistics say that unless you do, you're going to lose money.

Anyway, happy thread.

Found out my wife got accepted into University! \o/. Managed to get one of the 140 spaces on the course from over 2000 people that applied for it. Very happy.

Now all i have to do is find a job in / around York...

Archived