Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Hell i didn't even know i got one. Got called in to the office wondering what i had done when i was told that it was an appraisal, i am doing well at my job and every 6 months you get one with a performance based bonus.

I am still used to being back on £7 an hour and scrapping every penny, i don't know why i keep doing this though. Need to get back in that spending mindest, now if only i had a site up here to buy stuff for, airsoft guns don't have as much punch when you use them for shooting in the flat and that is it, stupid Aberdeen and it's 'but guns are evil' council that lets all the toffs out to shoot at birds, animals and the lower classes. :P

'FireKnife'

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, just found out that I'm actually on £10 an hour on my contract, as someone's union last year made a fuss about how little money people working in my position made. So I've gone from expecting £10K per annum to... £14K per annum.

At last, I can retire and live as a king. -_-

Still better than working over here, it may be £20k, but that just about gets you a place, fed, a car and some small disposeable income.

'FireKnife'

It also gets you free healthcare and about 1 twentieth of the heavy metal content you breathe in Hong Kong.

Also, rent is just stupid high in HK. In the UK I was paying £340 a month, bills inclusive, for a flatshare right in the city center. Now, I'm paying £950 a month for a flat in the middle of the countryside, an hour's commute from the city proper.

Also, the entire flat I'm in is literally the size floorspace as my UK bedroom was. Woo.

There are ups and downs to each, but in my particular case I'd overwhelmingly prefer to live in Edinburgh than Hong Kong. Unfortunately, as there are no decent jobs available in Edinburgh which would help further my career path, I had to compromise.

At least the airsoft stuff is cheap here, though oddly enough my local site in Edinburgh was cheaper on the green fee. :D

Hmm, odd, flat prices were really high when i looked in Edinburgh.

Ah well i suppose both have their benefits. I know you only get 14k, but from what i recall based on exchange rates most things in HK are nearly half what they are in the UK. I remember buying a can of Coke for all of 40p back in the day and transport was all of 50p to travel a fair way. But then the flat prices were huge. My uncel who was ex-patting and earning 1.5 times his annual salary (he is a freelance senior aircraft engineer just to give you an idea) and he had no choice but to stay in the apartment that was provided for him due to the cost of other places.

Though from what i was told in HK it is more about having the latest gadget than liveable conditions? Also not really an option for you but do you still pay that much for owning a house-boat thing? And finally have they finished that afwul abomination of that big Hollywood style thing out from the city?

'FireKnife'

1) Inflation has hit us too - the HKD is linked to the USD for the next 30 odd years, so as they *fruitcage* up their economy, we also have to adjust.

2) Yes, to a ridiculous degree. I saw a monk the other day who had a Samsung Galaxy SIII. The turnover for mobile phones here is ludicrous - Averages about 2 new mobiles a year per person. On the plus side, if you know where to go you can get last gen's flagship models for about 75% the retail price, used but in good nick.

3) HAHAHAHHAH OWN A BOAT OK THEN, No. That's talking about £150K straight up. No way I can afford that. Also I'm claustrophobic, hence my general dissatisfaction with HK living standards (Hey guys, it's a 500 square feet flat! WOW THAT'S *fruitcage* HUGE etc).

4) Sorry, which abomination are you referring to? We have about 7,000 of them to pick from.

1: Ouch not good. Why stick with the US dollar, it is a *suitcase* currency for the modern world, the pound or the euro would be a bit better, not much in the case of the euro but still.

2: All i remember is (no offence just an observation) bad toothed and heavily BO'd locals that were in rather faded clothes. Still had a iPod, PSP and some form of tablet on him, and even the clones of them are not that cheap if you have that many of them. Though still i can't see how anyone can value an electronic toy over a clean place to live.

3: Just an option, i meant renting but again when i was there was a while ago.

4: I can't exactly remember it is a massive sort of whitish-pink thing with gold trim and such. It was a hotel from what i recall, lots of fake statues and looked like a proper load of Hollywood tosh that no-one sane would stay at. Not sure if that helps, still i must admit i did like my time in the city, just i did the Land Inbetween tour or whatever they call it where you visit the area between the top end of Kowloon side and the Chinese border, all the older areas and rural parts and we passed this thing and it just ruined the thing.

Still i really would wish i could visit again, and take some airsoft toys back with me :P.

'FireKnife'

Don't be too jealous of my speedy webnets, chaps. I'm paying enough for it. The wife starts university on the 17th, and so of course then on finances will be tight. But still, I've been given the go ahead to keep an eye out for cheap ish woodworking tools for the mega garage. I'd put a gun wall up, but I've only got 4 guns now :(.

I'm half tempted to buy a properly old car for pennies and restore it, but what should I go for? I quite like the idea of something small nippy and rwd, but I'm not sure what else is out there apart from an original vw beetle…

If I was going to build something myself it's already planned, dpv. Seriously, it'd be easy. Old beetle, strip the entire shell and chassis off so you're only left with he floor and running gear, then simply get a load of pipes and weld them all together. Nice and simple, and I have a few friends that could easily build me a 100hp engine for one, which would be rapid in something that light.

Plus you can get turbos and fuel injection kits for them these days...

Only problem would be if I was to crash, lol.

In other news, I picked up a knife sharpener at Ikea the other day for £10, used it last night before making tea and its bloody fantastic. Not sure if it's shaving sharp, but I'm going to test when I get home :D.

I'm very tempted to get an A series Opel Manta from the mid 70's. They're such beautiful cars and I think I've only ever seen one on the road. So tracking one down is somewhat of a challenge. But having to deal with a 70's engine, carburetor, e.t.c. is somewhat off-putting. Still... :wub:

b_opel_manta_13.jpg

I'm very tempted to get an A series Opel Manta from the mid 70's. They're such beautiful cars and I think I've only ever seen one on the road. So tracking one down is somewhat of a challenge. But having to deal with a 70's engine, carburetor, e.t.c. is somewhat off-putting. Still... :wub:

b_opel_manta_13.jpg

Hey, that's pretty. I want a muscle car or something like it and this Opel looks just right.

That's why I like Capris. They're like muscle cars scaled down for our roads. :D

I want to do one up in matt black, jack up the suspension on the rear, and stick bull bars on the front and make it like a death race looking machine.

Either that, or make a US black and white police interceptor type affair.

Archived