Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the last 15 years or more, I have slept in a bunk bed.  Not because I shared my bedroom, but because I needed the space underneath it to store my large manga collection in!

Finally, I am returning to normal convention with a new bed <3  Not that I don't like my own little 'Laputa: Castle In The Sky' but... y'know admitting you have a bunk bed at 37 is a little embarrassing.  At that age, to use a bunk, you are either barracked, or in prison :D

---

Also, I am happy that I will never, ever be an alcoholic.  I got a bottle of white wine to enjoy with some French Brie and biscuits.  2 glasses made me feel decidedly unwell (I am not usually a drinker, admittedly).  I just cannot understand how being drunk can be in any way enjoyable.

...because if you feel unwell then you clearly have some kind of adverse, atypical reaction to alcohol 

My dad has a similar thing - one and a half pints will have him out cold - his kidneys were wrecked by hepatitis and he can't really handle it.

In any case enjoying being drunk has something to do with GABA receptors, or whatever.

Well, I do sometimes like one... ONE... glass of red wine with a large meal.  Anything more than that and Im 'ugh'.

As an experiment as a kid, I did drink 8 pints of lager over the period of around 4 hours and it rendered me pretty much dead.  Usually, I can drink one or two glasses of brandy, or sherry, or liqueur and they don't touch me at all.  It sort of depends on the alcohol, I guess.

I just cannot understand how being drunk can be in any way enjoyable.

Well, it can be considered enjoyable only when the alternative is worse. ;)

Anyway, I picked up the Humble Indie Bundle today, and it has that little gem titled "Rymdkapsel". It's something like the old game Netstorm crossed with Settlers. And it's for Android.

I don't drink any more - I ocasionally have a cider to test my resolve and it knocks me sideways.

The days of throwing down the "six pint challenge" are well behind me.

As are the days of regularly consuming 15 - 18 pints of cider in a night.

Also the days of grand-slamming my bed, waking up with broken bones and huge cuts, sleeping rough because I couldn't find my house, being an obnoxious *beep* and having sexy time with strange women who were bigger than me.

I don't miss it.

Also, bunk beds are kind of cool if you have the right sort of one, I had a 7' x 6' alcove in my bedroom in glasgow and put a platform 7' up the wall for a double matress, it had a couple of wardrobes under it and was pretty cool.

I had a great view out of bed, through the window and down to the river out of it.

Finally finished porting character sheets over from one roleplaying game system to another.  Being a multifaceted game, including squads of personnel, there were 29 to transfer.  God knows why they wanted to change the system halfway through a campaign...

Yeah, just had another glass of wine with some lovely brie, and all I feel is a little dizzy.  Just can't understand what the interest is whatsoever.  The remaining 2/3rds of this bottle is sink-bound.  Waste of £12, if you ask me.

Finally finished porting character sheets over from one roleplaying game system to another.  Being a multifaceted game, including squads of personnel, there were 29 to transfer.  God knows why they wanted to change the system halfway through a campaign...

Yeah, just had another glass of wine with some lovely brie, and all I feel is a little dizzy.  Just can't understand what the interest is whatsoever.  The remaining 2/3rds of this bottle is sink-bound.  Waste of £12, if you ask me.

the interest is because people clearly have different, "better" experiences then you! Don't be so solipsistic ;)

as said put that in a bolognaise all tv chefs demand you have left over wine / stale bread these days

Ha, I remember having a 200ml can of Scrumpy with dinner, then going to my local bike shop to pick up a cable.  I didnt remember the journey and for days later I was going "I gotta go get that cable".  I completely lost about a half hour of my memory.

Are you sure that wasn't scumble?

Well, I had to leave for work at half 5 this morning, instead of my usual 7.30 set off. Expected a day of toil and swearing at a job...

But, I was done and home for 9.30! The boss said "see you back at the yard", and I said *badger*s to that, it's Friday and I've already done a half day. It's home for me!

Spent some time playing with the boy, then pub lunch with the wife, boy and dogs. Ate outside in the sun, and back off there in a bit to meet friends!

Been playing XCOM Enemy Within.

After getting used to the super-cautious style of play I developed playing Enemy Unknown I thought I'd have trouble playing the new missions but these gene mods are amazing.

My whole squad has the mimetic skin mod and almost all have the hardened brain.

I am steamrollering the game, I haven't lost a soldier in nearly 30 missions.

I came up against a sectopod just now (in E:U it would probably kill half my guys), I went invisible and surrounded it, the first it knew my guys were there was the shredder missile hitting it, a critical hit and a normal hit from my Col sniper and a couple of rounds from my assault trooper's alloy cannons and it was toast.

I even had enough actions left to put both support troopers on overwatch.

I built up a MEC to Paladin spec and it has the particle lance but I'm just not feeling it.

Granted she isn't a Colonel and I only have one but I think the gene mods are much more powerful...

Finally managed to get down using the 'off the 45' technique down to a say 95% success rate.

For those that don't know, it means when inserting a magazine into a pistol and pushing it in so you hit the back of the base at a 45 degree angle to the slide lock and drop the slide in one motion.

Sounds strange but it works very well on a 1911. Too bad I can't find a video to show what I mean, for once you have failed my Youtube.

'FireKnife'

Also have just heard the new 'Outlook is better than GMail' advert.

Basically it tells you how GMail scans your emails to find key words for advertising. Outlook doesn't do this apparently, or there is an opt-out box that they will honour.

So basically total BS and they might want to focus on their email server not being easy to hack before they worry about 'email screening' adverts that aren't even correct.

Perhaps they have finally realised that anyone with half a brain doesn't use IE, Bing or Outlook unless they have to or they need a browser and email to collect all their junk for them.

Gave me such a chuckle, especially with how 'serious' the advert tries to be while telling lies.

'FireKnife'

Well after all this 'Outlook is amazing' adverts from Microsoft perhaps they can explain to me why my boss is sat trying to sort out a PC with Outlook that is basically failing to do anything and has lost itself?

All it does it claim it needs a disk check which then causes it to get stuck, over and over again.

'FireKnife'

Finally managed to get down using the 'off the 45' technique down to a say 95% success rate.

For those that don't know, it means when inserting a magazine into a pistol and pushing it in so you hit the back of the base at a 45 degree angle to the slide lock and drop the slide in one motion.

Sounds strange but it works very well on a 1911. Too bad I can't find a video to show what I mean, for once you have failed my Youtube.

'FireKnife'

A lot of people call it a "powerstroke", try searching for that.

Archived