Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my Concept2 Model C rowing machine out of the shed after (officially) too long.

Installed it on top of 2 layers of underlay to keep the noise down and got to it.

4k in just under 16 minutes on the hardest setting.

Not bad, I've got all winter to concentrate on it though.

I did order some new cycling gear to help get me out doing that over winter too though.

However, I still can't afford to buy new brakes - stupid Christmas...

quote name="k30dxedle" post="2652158" timestamp="1386001403"]Carbine pronounced with the long-E sound (IPA i:) is an acceptable pronunciation in American English. Always amuses me how on the Internet everyone's a prescriptive linguistics expert. Edit: true scotsman on radar, closing fast! chaff, chaff, chaff!

You are correct.

Pronunciation: /?kär?b?n, ) pronounced like my, so unless you pronounce my like mea like you are saying bean. Kar-by-n.

Or;

S

?b?n/ ) pronounced like see , so the e is a see noise, kar-bee-n

American English.

Yeah, erm what?

It is English we speak, not sticking 'American' on it so you can make an excuse to change words as you feel like it. We don't have Scottish Enlgish, Welsh English, Australian English or any other country that speaks our common tongue stuck on like that.

English is English, it is pronounced 'carBINE' and everytime I see people like Haley pronounce it incorrectly I both laugh and die a little inside knowing that our language is again being stumbled around like drunks on a Friday night. The same goes for every other word that people can't pronounce. At least those with accents realise that they know how the word should sound but they don't start saying they are speaking 'Birmingham' or 'Scouse' English to justify their mistakes.

But anyway this is the happy thread so away for a site seeing weekend to Inverness. That makes me happy as I get to see the last of the areas I want to in Northern Scotland while it is convenient, before I move away that is.

'FireKnife'

So, the American pronounciation of Iraq is to have the "I" as a single syllable?

I-raq? I-biza?

Just curious.

Edit:- whooooops, thought this was the rant thread. I apologise with the tiny tears of a male seal, left alone during mating season.

I apologise with the tiny tears of a male seal, left alone during mating season.

inb4 apologise/apologize dispute.   Also, why did you have to describe my sad situation... :(

I suppose that I am to look forward to my birthday on Saturday, but in reality my rant would be two textwalls in length and belong in the rant thread.  I guess today I get to see my Havanese, Winston, come home from the groomers all fluffy.  He naturally takes out his displeasure of going on me, always growling, even when he demands that I pet him.  Adorable at all times though.

<Snip>

That doesn't actually prove anything but alas I don't think you are going to get my point based on that post so lets just leave it at that as this would go on too long and it would end with 'differing opinions'.

But next time don't try and use Wiki to explain an argument, next you will be telling me that you get cancer from everything as it is in the Daily Mail.

As for what makes me happy today, it would be that I have only 7 more working days then I am off from the 14th of Dec to the 3rd of Jan. Can't complain :P.

'FireKnife'

Managed to dispose of an annoying fly that was threatening to contaminate my food....

...by waiting until it had stopped on the roof and pinging it with a .25 from my pistol (eye pro on of course). Gave me a good feeling to get rid of that fly and show how my skills have come in the past few years. :P

'FireKnife'

Rude not to.

I had a bit of a stroke of genius this evening.

I wore my SCUBA undersuit under my coveralls while I was supervising the night dig.

Instead of being cold, I was toasty warm.  And smug.

Damn. Makes me regret I didn't grab a wetsuit when the local thrift shop had them in August. I could use it as a spacesuit/SIGINT ninja suit for photo ops.

Somehow I managed to not flop on giving a presentation in German, though now my teacher assumes I can actually speak the language decently now...

Have my two doomsday papers pretty much wrapped up to turn in tomorrow and tues, so tonight I shall play monster hunter till my hands fail me (and having to get up again tomorrow for the final regular class day before exams).

I suppose I should be happy about my B-day on Saturday, but I honestly just hope to have the day to myself, which I know already is not going to happen.

I suppose I could just sit around in my kit all day...

I fitted some spare parts to my rowing machine today.

Working on the rowing machine has taught me a few things.

1, The customer services people at Concept2 are awesome.  I understand that they have to be since they are in the cut-throat gym equipment business but damn!

I ordered the parts at about 1400hrs on Thursday and they arrived on Friday morning.  I know they are expensive but they are the best by a mile and they have amazing customer service.

Hell, mine was second hand and although it is missing its serial number sticker they made the C from '93 until '03 so it is definitely betwen 10 and 20 years old and for under £50 it is running flawlessly.

That's right, the parts were under £50, including postage and VAT.  The track is fragile and long and had to come by courier, under £50.

2, Having seen how cheap the spares are (and they are all still available) I feel I am going to begin the process of getting mine in 100% showoom condition.

I put a few things on it today but I could do with a new seat, a chain, sprocket, pulleys and bungee plus some castors.

I might also strip the whole thing down in spring and have it powder coated safety orange for a giggle.

The only thing I am not sure of is the computer.

Mine is a model C and it came with a PM2 computer, I upgraded to the PM3.

The PM4 is available for a couple of hundred pounds and I am tempted because it comes with ANT+ capability and will sync with my HR monitor and the Garmin from my bike but...

Apparently the PM5 is in the works.

Should I wait for the PM5?

I do not know.  I hate not knowing.

Archived