Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

I have set up another account for house outgoings, which my other half contributes half of everything rounded up into and I put the same into from my primary account. Rounded up, so we'll have a buffer for anomalous bills or emergencies.

With food shopping we take it in turns. Everything left is our own.

Come payday, I still had 900 in my account last month, she has a spreadsheet and is budgeted down to the last £20.

This is why I will not get a joint account.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get paid on the last day of the month, all the big bills come out on the first.

I predict the annual ones and save a bit for them but basically I am totally chill about the whole thing.

It's only money.

I know that I can pay the mortgage and the critical bills on the salary of a Mcdonald's drone so I know I'll always be fine.

Anything else is just gravy to me, do I need SCUBA gear?  No.  Do I need my bike? No.  Do I need my car? No.  Do I need my PC? No. Do I need airsoft gear, 100meg broadband, unlimited mobile broadband, a laptop or camping gear? Nope.

I have those things because I want them and I can afford them, I am not motivated by money, I have never been motivated by money.  My only objective is to be happy.

Sure, that makes me impulsive and whimsical - I don't care.

I pay my wife's mobile bill, pension, prescriptions and fuel (she uses the car for work, I walk or ride), I also give her £320 a month to get the groceries and have about £100 for herself.

She works when she can and her earnings go into a savings account which I don't have access to (or I'd spend it) which we use to pay for a biannial holiday.

What makes me chill is that I know I was totally happy on terrible wages in a menial job and that I would be again.

I've done my time on minimum wage, hated being the only guy not going to the gig/having the nice things all the time.

I'm not materialistic in that I want to have the money, but I like the freedom that having a bank account with money in affords me.

This time last year I would not have been able to treat myself to a gbb mp7 like I did last month.

I think stunt makes a very good point. As I dont work (unemployed, and cant commit time to freelancing anymore), my soul income is from my wife and odd bits'n'bobs that I sell on eBay (or airsoft items). I'm quite happy now as I was when I had to share a house and count every last penny for food shopping (shared a house when I was at college, second year). It's more the people you're with or know that keep you happy (be it friends or family). Though, to be very honest, I'd be quid happy living by myself in a bed sit, just so long as I could get on the net to read about news and other things (which isn't hard to do these days).

I've been poor and happy.

I've been wealthy and depressed.

I've tried to buy my way out of depression and failed.

I think the trick is management of expectations, It's no good being poor and dreaming of a Ferrari, that will lead to disappointment.

You can be poor and dream of baking a perfect cake though or climbing Mt. Snowdon.

I've also been poor and happy, so I'm by no means saying that money is the be all and end all.

I'm in a happy place at the moment, and I'm also happy that I'm not so skint I can't go out and have more experiences and do more.

I remember about 2 years ago my girlfriend got made redundant so my abit above minimum wage had to support us both. She got told by the job centre she wasnt eligible for any benefits at all, because i made a little over £1000 a month. My rent+council tax was £625 to start. Though we could just afford it i must say i wouldnt ever want to be put in that financial position again. I found it frustratingly boring, so many things cost money.

Its easy to say you dont care and reminisce when you have a surplus or are not in need anymore. Money doesnt make you happy, it just makes it ALOT easier to be happy.

Am guessing you mean ineligible for benefits. You can still claim what's know as contribution based income support, based on how much you have paid into the system.

Unless the inland revenue have *fruitcage*ed your records up to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds and say you're ineligible until it's sorted 3 months later.

The IR and JSA shouldn't be allowed near a piggy bank, never mind the millions they dish out on a whinm and can stop at any time until you prove you're still entitled.

Anyone who works for the JSA should have to have claimed at sone point, so they can see how effed up the whole system is.

Am guessing that happened to you or someone you know, Shmook?

I honestly think I must have had a few lucky brakes when I've needed them. Just have problems once I'm in (had a terrible experience with a Jsa advisor, thank *fruitcage* I found a job quickly - back in 2010).

Just bought my tickets for Oulton Park (10th June). That made me smile. But also sad (can't go an airsoft game spring/gas only, like games with limits).

Is the...other place down for you guys? The one where scams are aplenty and the same threads surface again and again week in, week out?

Kinda smiling at that, but at the same time I do like browsing some of the threads and have scored most of my stuff off there.

Myself. Treated like a piece of *suitcase* for 6 months, even though I played by the rules. I informed the JSA of the few days I worked over that period, unlike most, and still got treated like scum. I received no help, and no advice throughout, and got stiffed over on what I was 'entitled' to.

I've been paying taxes for the last 16 years, since I was 18. I was eligible for income based, and contribution based JSA. It took 3 months from applying to my first payment, and every 2 weeks I saw a different person, and had to explain repeatedly that I had entitlement and ask why I wasn't on the system.

It was a joke, and I've never felt so belittled. I had worked full time since I was 21, my wife had too, and for paying in and following the rules, we got turned over and dry humped.

Yet you repeatedly see scrotes who have never worked a day in their lives get far more than £71 ish a week...

I hated being in that position, but needed all the help we could get as we went from 2 full time employment jobs to redundancy and a pregnant wife on maternity leave. I appreciate life is about risks, and we decided to have a baby, but help wasn't there when it was needed.

It's a sore point ;)

I think to work for JSA you need to take a test to prove you're a *Ubar*.  When I was unfortunate to be on it for a while, I had no end of troubles.  They don't know their *albartroth* from their elbow.  The whole thing is an utter cluster*fruitcage*.

The problem with the Inland Revenue and Job Centre is that it is the kind of job that "dregs" end up in.

Did OK [slightly sub-average] at school, no ambition, no idea what to do with your life, hears that government jobs are almost impossible to get fired from, applies and coasts for the rest of their life doing the bare minimum.

You see, it isn't a shop job, they are temporary and full of people who have plans but need a job for now.

It isn't a job anyone has a passion or aptitude for* like IT or teaching.

Teaching is an edge case because you get passionate teachers and coasting dregs.

There are lots of jobs that you think: How do you end up doing that?  That's your answer.  Dregs.

We are just going to put up with it I'm afraid, more that half of everyone you meet is stupid and the clever ones (usually) aren't in jobs like that.

At least, we will have to put up with it until the AIs take over all government jobs and military planning, then the benefits system will be a model of efficiency for the 0.0002 seconds before the world is destroyed in a nuclear hellstorm.

* My mum however does have a passion for VAT.

She needed a job she could do that would be flexible enough to allow her to do it while following my dad around in the army, got into tax and excelled through not being a 10%er doing a half-hearted job (5%).

She moved into VAT and got most valued employee something like 10 years in a row (and counting).

The stories she tells me about the incompetence and waste are shocking.

That's it, they were just drones.

Peck away at a keyboard, ooh 'computer says no'. Sorry mr shmook, there's nothing I can do. Best call another department, hadn't you?

Rinse and repeat. I was on first name terms with about 7 people in payroll (who I called several times a week) who were good to deal with, but had their hands tied. The *fruitcage* *persons* at the job centre wouldn't notice if I beat them around the head with a chair until a week later.

Edit, derogatory term removed. Typed without thinking.

I found the person who woked on the late desk, was the nicest and also well informed. My assigned advisor was a *beep*. When people were late he was nice to them and would see them before me, even though I was on time. One time I was late, he made me wait half an hour before seeing me. I got a bit of a telling off from security (in a nice way) as I went up to the advisor and asked him he was making me wait. Then security asks me to step aside to have a word. The little *suitcase* had hit his panic button. The security gaurd turned out to be the son, of someone my dad worked with He told me that they do get nutters who will just lash out. He told me that if am late next time, speak to someone on the front desk if I'm made to wait longer than 20 minutes (if I'm late).

One thing I can not stand is to be treated like scum. It's a bit of a chip on my shoulder from being called a murderer at football games across the country. You get a sixth sense for when people look down on you at an early age.

It does seem that people who are on benefits, for a genuine reason, are treated terrible due to a handful of people who abuse the system.

Edit: whooooops, this is the happy thread. Something happy. . . . Watching Godzilla this week and I can't wait.

Habakure, that's the thing. You're automatically treated like a turd there.

I hated it and wouldn't wish the experience on anyone...

Anyway, yep, happy thread. It's half one in the morning and I'm just having tea, as I've been working like a madman on my kitchen. It's getting there.

Had nothing for 3+ weeks now, been living on ping meals and washing up in the bathroom.

After my wife went to bed tonight I've painted the walls the final colour, plumbed the dishwasher in and fitted all the worktops, and wired all the sockets in, so it should put a smile on her face in the morning to have somewhere proper to brew up and make breakfast for our 9 month old son!

It's a nice feeling though, working away and not realising ten hours have gotten past you. Get up first light to take advantage of the natural light. Which reminds me, my excuse of a garage needs new panneling (just a nice length of wood nailed in to part of the support beams), just where the concrete slabs join the roof. Nothing major but it does mean for one side I'll have to be in next doors back garden. No problem, just will take longer. And yes, that will put a smile on my face.

Also, another trip to Hobby Craft is needed for some humbrol paint, as I have a new idea for my MP7. Yes, I'm addicted to tan. Just find plain black so last year (throwing in some dark brown and green for good measure).

DIY is satisfying!

As for hobbycraft, I think I own every humbrol spray paint they do that suits 'airsoft' colours. I love that place!

Edit, probably agree with scorch there though. HK = black :)

I think I will firmly be in the unpainted guns camp.

I can see the reason for tan / OD on guns in the real world but given my love of more classic guns I would not want to paint one of my own.

Saying that some pistols do look good with a mix of black / blued and chrome / nickel / stainless parts.

Also finally moved in fully to my new flat. It is much better than my old one in every way and is cheaper. Also it is nice and roomy so I can do a little airsoft manouver training if needed.

'FireKnife'

Archived