Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regard to trigger safety they do, if not more so...

True but that was not my point. Yes some things are the same but it is not exactly the same ;).

As for 'happy thread' there is a sale on Lego and my local Asda has the set I want, reduced. Now to just wait out the next 2-3hrs until work ends.......

'FireKnife'

The reason for me is, well a few:

1. It is the only toy in which your imagination is the biggest limit. With other toys you have to work within limitations but with Lego you want it, you get the bits and you build it.

2. It, along with Thunderbirds as my TV program, was my favourite as a child. This is something that has carried into being an adult that has realised that sometimes you need to have fun with life and now you can afford to buy the stuff you couldn't as a kid.

3. The film didn't really help and added a valuable point. Both kids and adult can enjoy it in very different ways but there is nothing to say an adult can't be an inventor and a kid can't be a collector either?

4. Even if you make dioramas with them and not much else, there is nothing to stop you coming back and changing them when you are bored. As with point 1, Lego is limited to imagination and what you have available (or can buy more), this makes it strangely a toy that you can keep coming back to.

5. It actually has a rich and vibrant community of people behind it. Even the company themselves take things with a bit of humour. Add in that you can get sets like Batman and Marvel you can make your own little scenes based on other interests you have. There is even a term for people like myself (and Habakure it seems) which is Adult Fan Of Lego (AFOL) and again has a rich community behind it.

I must admit if I ever had kids (male or female) and they showed no interest in Lego I would be a little disappointed but more so as I think they are missing out on something that is both fun yet can tax the mind and show off your wildest imagination all in one go.

Perhaps it is just as I have had Lego in my life since I can remember (one of the earliest toys I remember being bought for me is Lego and now I am trying to hunt that single set down again 20 years on, no luck so far) and it will always be something that reminds me life can be fun sometimes, no matter how old you are.

'FireKnife'

Brickset is a great UK run site for lego news and forums. Also, eurobicks is another site that has afols on it that make some really impressive builds. I see it as a stress reliever, even though when you're in the middle of a build, and you release that you don't have the part necessary to complete it, can be a bit annoying.

But there is a dark side to it too. There are people who will buy up loads of sets for a unique part (normally a minifig) and then flog them on eBay to make a profit. That takes the fun out of it. Hand on heart, if I'm about to buy a lego set and I over hear that a child wants it (not throwing a tantrum but being disappointed) I let them have it. I've given toys away just to see the look on a child's face (yeah, that doesn't sound dodgy at all), reminds me of when I was a child.

Pay my import duties today and my parcel will be mine. Good bye AEG's, you were good. You were very good.

I must admit I am tempted to buy some sets for say half the set and sell the rest, but not just for a single minifig etc, some sets just come with rubbish stuff and good things.

Saying that I do have a liking for the small, hilarious vehicles that make no sense and making little compact, one man vehicles.

When I remember to take my camera home from work I shall get a few pics up of my custom builds. Turns out the little free models you get in newspapers (just cost a 50p newspaper and a walk to the shop) or can buy on eBay for cheap are great for a wealth of little parts and ideas. Tempted to buy a few more now, that does make me smile :D.

'FireKnife'

It's limiting with lego (detailing and also can get quite angular) but the versatility factor far out way the limiting aspect. If a model doesn't work, take it apart and start again. With kit bashing and moulding, it's permanent.

Edit:- spell check is making my head hurt. I though mould; is what happens to walls and food. Mold is something that you take a cast of and then create a mold?

For creativity I prefer miniatures. I can use those.

I do a lot of green stuff and conversion work.

Darkchild

I just find that a bit permanent but I have tried models (like expensive GW *suitcase*) before but still find that Lego, while limited, is fun.

Like last night, I made a two man boat out of a pair of single promo bag boats. This left me with some spare bits to add to my bits bag. Few minutes later I was rummaging arounf and managed to find the right bits to make a small, one man jet-ski like thing and finally have a vehicle for each minifigure (bar the two man boat which obviously has two now). This lead to me shortening down two vehicles so they are closer to the ground in case of one and going from an estate to a hatchback for the other.

It really does kinda pull you in though, I did spend all of 2 hours not only building a simple set but then taking it apart, adding bits to other sets, building a little diorama, changing that and then switching all the minifigs. Now I am looking at little blue base plates to make a water scene :P.

'FireKnife'

See, that's why sometimes I get confused, esspecially wih words that are pronounced the same, but have different ways of spelling them. Peek and Peak, are a prime example.

It's a small smile today but a smile none the less. Should finally have shifted the last of my aeg's (to someone I know) but if it falls through it's zero-in time (a G&P Car15 new version and an Army R85).

Edit: also, there's a place called Mold too.

See, that's why sometimes I get confused, esspecially wih words that are pronounced the same, but have different ways of spelling them. Peek and Peak, are a prime example.

Also, pique is pronounced the same.

My migraine is *fruitcage* off.

Never known anything like it. Been curled up and whimpering like a pathetic little *badgeress* for the last 2 days. Worst thing I've ever experienced.

I had one of those once. I genuinely thought a greater demon of hell was trying to use my head as a portal, such was the pain I was in.

Better be careful on arnies then...

That is the crux of the matter my friend.

It is called a homophone, a word that sounds the same but is spelled differently and has a different meaning.

A spelling checker would not pick up a spelling mistake caused by using the wrong homophone.

In a word of digital communication the wrong choice of homophone is the mark of the poorly educated.

I see them everywhere and they inflame my grammar gland.

Well, my having dyslexia doesn't help at all. Trying to see a word gets very annoying when there are version of the same sounding word but different meaning attached.

Hhmmmm nice sandwich for dinner, with gorgeous jalapeño and red onion.

Archived