Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went out for dinner at buddies.

Buddies, for those who don't live in northampton, is an American themed burger diner type place. I had a burger served in a bagel with bacon, onion and garlic mayo in it.

It was amazing. Hell, its always amazing. I wholeheartedly recommend it if you're ever in my humble little town.

Now, I am going to have a Morgan Spiced and coke in my captains tankard, and watch Breaking Bad.

I (eye) got my PPE cheque (check) in the mail (male) today.

£1500.  Now I just have to work out what to spend it on.

Homophones are dangerous.

Some are the super simple common ones like I and eye; whole and hole; their, there and they're and to, two and too.

However there are some lesser known ones that people routinely get wrong, either due to not realising there are different spellings or through not being sure which is which.

Waist and waste.

Practice and practise.

Affect and effect.

Stationary and stationery.

Banned and band.

Dual and duel.

Licence and license.

Piece and peace.

Weather and whether.

I've seen them all on here,  it's a minefield people.

Put some bacon on it.

Edit: bought some lego before. The flood gates have opened and swallowed me whole. I am not at peace but I am in pieces.

I remember taking a test in school and the answer was one of the following:-

Disturbed

Disrupted

Destroyed

Dismissed

The sentence was; a house was (insert appropriate word) by the tornado. I couldn't tell two words apart and as such, I got the answer wrong. It's hard to explain but if words look similar, I struggle.

Actually to be pedantic all four of those could be used, just depends on the context, meaning and whether being done for satire, humour or sarcasm too.

Assuming we are talking about a bricks and mortar house then destroyed would be the most appropriate with Dismissed being the least appropriate.

However to dismiss something means to 'send away' or 'order something / someone away'. So if the tornado was in fact named and preceded by a sentence naming it then you could say that it was 'dismissed'.

Vocabulary and language can be a funny sun of a *badgeress* sometimes.

Also, Toys R Us have a Lego set I am after for £12 when it is normally more like £20. Now to go into the Kirkcaldy store and make it not look like I am some pervert. If only I was a tad older and could have a more legitimate claim to the phrase 'it's for my kids'. To be honest I don't care really and that is truly what makes me happy :D.

'FireKnife'

Actually to be pedantic all four of those could be used, just depends on the context, meaning and whether being done for satire, humour or sarcasm too.

Assuming we are talking about a bricks and mortar house then destroyed would be the most appropriate with Dismissed being the least appropriate.

However to dismiss something means to 'send away' or 'order something / someone away'. So if the tornado was in fact named and preceded by a sentence naming it then you could say that it was 'dismissed'.

Vocabulary and language can be a funny sun of a *badgeress* sometimes.

Also, Toys R Us have a Lego set I am after for £12 when it is normally more like £20. Now to go into the Kirkcaldy store and make it not look like I am some pervert. If only I was a tad older and could have a more legitimate claim to the phrase 'it's for my kids'. To be honest I don't care really and that is truly what makes me happy :D.

'FireKnife'

"It's for my nephew / cousin / god son / brother"

I (eye) got my PPE cheque (check) in the mail (male) today.

£1500.  Now I just have to work out what to spend it on.

I'm curious stunt, what sort of PPE do you need for your job?

Genuine question :)

Are there any airsoft type shops near Kendal? At the mother-in-laws caravan and am feeling the urge to buy 'something airsoft'. And yes, being in a static caravan has put a smile on my face.

Edit:- another homophobe for you:- are/our is another one that would trouble my writing hand. 'Use to'. The amount of times I see that on Facebook, it makes my blood boil. What they mean to put:- 'You two'.

Edit No2: hahaha homophobe instead of homophone. Damn you auto-correct!!

Solution, stop using auto-correct. :P

"It's for my nephew / cousin / god son / brother"

Nah, I just told them it was for me. Gave the 20 something girl behind the counter an odd moment that looked a bit like this:

1w58_zps1afcac8e.jpg

Now we wait and see if he tries to claim it was on purpose or not. ;)

In all honest that was a cock up, typing too much and not bothering to check it all out, well done me.

Plus I have managed to once again have exactly enough parts to build the kit I just bought into something better. Now where is my stupid camera........

'FireKnife'

I'm curious stunt, what sort of PPE do you need for your job?

Genuine question :)

Plastic helmet, high visibility vest, coveralls and rubber gloves for maintenance, steel toe capped boots and custom fitted ear defenders.  I also wear safety glasses if I'm on an FTD.

If I'm working with lime I have paper coveralls taped to steel toed rubber boots, gloves taped to the coveralls and a positive pressure respirator helmet.

When I am working with mcadam I use insulated boots, heat resistant suede gloves and safety goggles.

Thank you for asking.

I think amateurstuntman means PPI.  I'm sure I remember him saying he's owed a refund of a similar amount due to the mis selling shenanigans.

Yes, that is what happened, that was a typo. Damn.

Are there any airsoft type shops near Kendal? At the mother-in-laws caravan and am feeling the urge to buy 'something airsoft'. And yes, being in a static caravan has put a smile on my face.

Edit:- another homophobe for you:- are/our is another one that would trouble my writing hand. 'Use to'. The amount of times I see that on Facebook, it makes my blood boil. What they mean to put:- 'You two'.

Edit No2: hahaha homophobe instead of homophone. Damn you auto-correct!!

You're from near Liverpool right? Round there they have the very unique plural 'yous', which leads to some spectacular homophone abuse on the interwebz. As well as making them sound like idiots. Interestingly, German has the same informal plural (ihr).

You're from near Liverpool right? Round there they have the very unique plural 'yous', which leads to some spectacular homophone abuse on the interwebz. As well as making them sound like idiots. Interestingly, German has the same informal plural (ihr).

Doesn't ever local accent have a series of words that are specific to that accent but make them sound like idiots?

'Drink of juice' in a Scottish accent for example, 'a'right love / chuck' in the Liverpool area, a fair bit of the Somerset and Norfolk rural accents, some Cockney and worst of all that stupid accent that some still think is a seperate 'language', Doric.

But then that is all down to preference and the fact I have stayed in different bits of the UK. What to one person is normal might sound horrendously stupid to another? However I can't really say one accent is any worse than the others bar Doric.

'FireKnife'

Yous is a regional thing that is correct. So long as it is not used in written form, there isn't confusion. You lot, is used a lot in Liverpool/merseyside too, but haven't met anyone who genuinely said 'chuck' as a term of endearment. I think that's a Cilla Black thing, that was supposedly a Scotty Road thing but most of my family are from there and they don't use it.

Auto-correct actually helps me with my spelling/grammar. Esspecially with it's / its. Always changes its to:- it's, even if it is uncalled for.

Edit:- FK what lego set did you get (Arctic or Coast Gaurd)?

I dunno, most of those are just regional slang, replacing the standard word with a different one. 'Yous' is just wrong.

Try the one I like the least then? 'Fit ya dien?' (as best as I can type it) is 'What are you doing?' or sometimes 'How are you doing?' and people write it like that. It is not correct and to my mind is as bad as putting 'Yous' or one of the other many strange word variants out there. It is like txt spk almost in that it isn't proper English and to try and treat it like such just doesn't seem right to me.

Perhaps I care a bit too much about the English language, it's true, but why do people keep insisting on using incorrect spellings and pronounciation and claiming it is just 'my accent', or 'that is how I speak innit'?

Anyway this is the happy thread so no more rants about poor language skills from me.

Auto-correct actually helps me with my spelling/grammar. Esspecially with it's / its. Always changes its to:- it's, even if it is uncalled for.

Edit:- FK what lego set did you get (Arctic or Coast Gaurd)?

I personally find it is often more a hinderance in it's current form as auto-correct 'assumes' a word, spelling or sentence structure. However as we all know assumption is the mother of all *fruitcage* ups and auto-correct proves that a few too many times. Still it isn't Google or Bing translation software. Those always give me a good laugh.

And I picked up set 60007- High Speed Chase. Was a tie in set for the Lego City game on the Wii U (even comes with a code for the game to have the vehicles in the set appear in the game, it is hidden as the number plate of the police 4x4). I got it as Toys R Us had it online at £12 so I did click and collect and got it in the shop for that instead of £19.99 as it was on the shelf. I am looking at selling off the police style motorbikes though, they just don't look good to me.

Speaking of that the little white 16x8 flat plate I ordered is in the mail. Plan on mounting my £5 Snowmobile on it to make a little scene. Order another similar sized one for my pair of boats too. This makes me happy, not having a camera to share said joy doesn't.

'FireKnife'

Archived