Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Old g60s are awesome!

I have a passat 1.8 turbo going cheap if you want it.

May require an engine though...

Old jags are ace too. My cousin has a '98 xjr, and it's just stupid.

If buying one, check it's had an engine swap though. The nikosil (spell?) engines had a high failure rate and got swapped under warranty at the time :)

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Insurance is going to be fun for you then Tink :P.

Unless you go so old it is considered a classic and end up paying less or something.

As for me payday has been and gone. It is being saved somewhat for three things, MOT+Road Tax, TM Breacher and Fringe festival stuff including family visits.

That and the obligatory £20-25 I spent on Lego, stupid cheap sales on websites.

'FireKnife'

Huh, must just be me then, everything I look at is through the roof :P.

Also happy days my eBay stuff all seems to have finally rolled on in. Means no more sitting around waiting on a parcel service with a bad failure rate, yay.

'FireKnife'

Huh, must just be me then, everything I look at is through the roof :P.

Also happy days my eBay stuff all seems to have finally rolled on in. Means no more sitting around waiting on a parcel service with a bad failure rate, yay.

'FireKnife'

£66 for the year for me.

Rx8 have a tendancy to eat rotor tips . As of yet no scientist / car designer has managed to find a material hard wearing enough to maintain compression without scouring the bore or eroding the rotor tips . . The Nicosil problem was also a massive problem on 5/7 series bmw engines . Bad design / materials used ( two metals that corrode when brought into contact with each other. Accelerated by the chemicals used in modern fuels .

I have a j reg nissan200 sx modified engine etc that costs me 350 quid a year on classic insurance . My friend has his r32 skyline on classic as well . Many older performance cars are eligible for it . Including rs fords , golfs gti, porsche , jags , pulsars and jap sports cars . Defo worth asking around insurance company's to find out if your car is classified as a classic ..

I enjoy riding a motorbike, and I enjoy the airsoft I can afford to do more due to the frankly criminal saving I make on insurance over even a small fiesta. (£1300 difference, I just checked)

The risk/reward balance is more than acceptable for me.

But isn't that £66 also down to things like driver experience / NCD for bike riding?

If you were insuring a car for the first time then yeah of course but if you took your age, experience and NCD and transferred that to car insurance it would probably be more like £200-£300 I would think.

Still as much as I only live once (to add I *fruitcage*-ing hate the phrase YOLO with a passion so strong that it should be able to make things combust) I would rather get to the destination alive, or more likely so.

'FireKnife'

YOLO, but the fifty years in traction and iron lung won't be fun...

Should be legal to terminate care for all the jerks if they can be prven to have been reckless while spouting that ...

As for what made me smile? It finally rained here in Helsinki. Okay, the part of Helsinki where I live. :D

YOLO to me just sounds like the lowest form of intelligence condensed into a word. It's a bit like 'innit' for the next year or so before something else comes along.

And agreed it doesn't make sense. That is like saying that sarcastic '.....and?' or '....so?' to everything. "Don't stick your balls in that fan!", ".....so?".

Plus carpe diem at least sounds a touch more sophisticated and seizing the day is better than saying you only live once. To seize the day sounds like a kind of positive "yeah go for it" while YOLO either sounds sarcastic, arrogant or idiotic. I know a lot of people use it more to take the ###### out of how stupid YOLO is but still.

As for this being the happy thread well I am happy that work is soon over and tomorrow a festival of fun starts in Edinburgh.

'FireKnife'

But isn't that £66 also down to things like driver experience / NCD for bike riding?

If you were insuring a car for the first time then yeah of course but if you took your age, experience and NCD and transferred that to car insurance it would probably be more like £200-£300 I would think.

Nope. That £66 is for no NCD (NCD is tied up on another policy) It will be mostly because my bike is garaged and I'm older.

Also, there isn't a box for driver experience on the insurance form. There's one for "period license held for" but that's really not the same thing at all. I've had more road hours on my current bike in the year I've had it than my mate who's had his license 5 years. 

And if you thought I WASN'T taking the when I said yolo, then you should go play in traffic. :P

I think I know you well enough to know you didn't mean YOLO (but the rant was not meant to be aimed at you, more the pathetic overuse of it by MIC-esque idiots ;))

As for experience I did mean more age as I have only dealt with a few insurers that ask how long you have held a license for but most seemed more concerned as to whether I was in the 18-24 age bracket or the 25-40.

Either way I would just not drive a bike, it isn't me and I don't trust 99% of the drivers on the roads nowadays.

'FireKnife'

Mike, just ignore any messages that get sent to you about the the Very Important System out in Brussels, and enjoy yourself.

Sure this will eventually end up in the opposite thread, but I have somehow managed to get myself started on the final paper for this summer class way ahead of schedule (it's due the 14th of August).  Only problem is that I am limited in page length, and 8 pages is not enough for me when it is something I could write literally without sources (although I have to).  It's on the evolution of the American soldier in the 20th century (including the wars just prior to the 20th), and I am already halfway on the third page before WW1.

Whoops.

The limit there is to teach you how to be concise and not follow every rabbit hole until you're incomprehensible.

Concentration is important, so I suggest taking your time in the editing phase to weed out what isn't important tot he viewpoint you are working from.

Archived