Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Tactical Kit and RM have outdone themselves.

Ordered a dump pouch Friday morning (about 5AM) dispatched that afternoon, delivery attempted Saturday. Just got the slip, expected it to come today. Shame I didn't think there was any chance of it coming through Saturday as I could've collected today.

Tactical Kit were about that fast when I ordered my Blue Force Gear MP7 pouch. Ordered on Friday after lunch, delivered Saturday morning.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ERROR ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE

:P

NONSENSE!

Oh come on, there were some decent releases from the 90's. I'm sure... Probably?

NO QUESTION MARK NEEDED!

Pearl Jam released "Ten" in 1991 and changed my life.

They then went on to release Vs, Vitalogy, No Code and Yield - all in the 90s.

They also did a couple of unplugged MTV sets and a live album.

Counting Crows did August and Everything After.

Alanis Morissette showed the bloody Spice Girls what girl power actually means.

Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails, Green Day, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Eels, Massive Attack, Tom Petty, Radiohead, Portishead, Moby, Aphex Twin, The Pixies, Air, (Pulp, Oasis, Blur if you like that sort of thing), The Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, R.E.M., Sound Garden and Beck were all amazing and Nirvana were OK too.

The 90s was the best decade for music ever.

Look at that list, it is definitive.

People even questioning the utter domination of the 90s as the greatest time for music makes me cross.

Stunt: You've a good point, well made. You win the grand prize! You get to make me a mix tape! :D Both sides, please. (Hey, guys, remember? Tapes had TWO SIDES!!)

Happy thread: Corrado door is open (had seized shut after being stood for about 8 months.)

Off to Belgium for me in a couple of hours.

Gives me a chance to hammer out a few hours of Fire Emblem and Project X Zone on the 2DS. Now why Super Smash Bros couldn't have been out by now so I could have that too is annoying but oh well.

'FireKnife'

Tell us how you like it in Belgium. Will you? :)

Will do, though I am only going to be in Diegem, near the airport for work.

Saying that I am sure there was mention of a meal and drinks in Brussels at some point.

It looks like Royal Mail have lost their crown for worst delivery company

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/10/stuck-on-roof-sorry-courier-leaves-package-on-top-of-house-4828001/?ito=facebook

Hmm, well that is pretty awful but at least the item was left in a relatively safe place, unlike RM and PF who just don't bother and then make you go and get it from them :P.

'FireKnife'

And so would video tapes if Sony weren't a bunch of money grabbing *rickrolls* :P.

Also next few days of doing sod all, getting paid for it and getting a trip. Winning.

'FireKnife'

Not really.

Tapes having two sizes was due to the minimum width of tape to resist twisting and be strong enough to go through the machine was twice as wide at the width of tape necessary to have a stereo sound recorded on it.

Flipping the tape meant that a head would read one half on the way out and the other half on the way back.

This gave the added bonus that if you listened to the whole tape you didn't have to rewind it.

If you could see the data on teh tape it would look like this: ==========

Video tapes need much more room to store the data so the reading head actually moves along and across the tape in a diagonal line, the head is built into a rotating device, if you could see the data it would look like this: ////////////////.

That way you can fit more on there.

Unless you are talking about betamax, they weren't double sided either.

I am talking about the Philips (or at least I think it was them) system that ran both sides of a recording tape.

It worked (at least as well as VHS) and allowed for near double capacity on one tape.

But JVC (not Sony, got the companies wrong) had VHS as it's flagship (almost in the same fashion as Sony trying to push Blu-Ray but at that point optical based media was already being replaced) and it didn't want to give that up so it put loads of effort in, paid companies to release new films on VHS before others and such.

When comapred to Betamax it was inferior but cheaper. Bit like how Beretta won over SIG in the 80s US Army Trials too, it was just that bit cheaper over all, despite the other being the slightly superior offer (yet offering mostly the same things).

Still this is the happy thread and so far the little bit of Belgium I have seen is nice, clean and industrious. However one or two things, my hotel burger came with a rather odd sauce, looked a bit like mayo with gherkins and other pickled veg mashed into it, wasn't that nice overall and thier was a sizeable section for Peperami style sausages in the places you would usually expect to find crisps. However most of the sweet stuff was either nice chocolate or waffles, both of which taste awesome.

Now to see where I shall be dining tomorrow courtesy of work. Knowing this place they will really push the boat out from what I have heard, especially if the hotel I am in is anything to go by (that or I am just used to UK hotels being *suitcase* :P).

'FireKnife'

Phillips were too busy developing their laser disc film system . . They were way ahead of the other company's on innovation at that time. . Unfortuantly that flopped as well but it was the predecessor to the DVD as we know it nowadays .

The Phillips tape system was called video 2000. By the way . It was expensive ( double sided tape heads. , a complicated gear drive system . And loved chewing up tapes . It was tha best system though. . But VHS succeeded it because it was easier and cheaper to produce machines and cassettes for . Betamax was just useless .. It had some pros , but the minus points were too great .

I used to mend and work on all three systems many moons ago as a vision hire repair man / bench technician. .

Laser disc didn't fail depending on where you live.

Infact I recall visiting shops in Hong Kong back in 2006 that were chock full of laser disc, more so than any other system and they were all new release or near new release films.

However given that gradually disc is going to lose out more and more ground to streaming, flash drives and net based storage it is only a matter of time until that ends up like VHS.

Saying that I am quite suprised the likes of XBox or Sony have not used a flash drive system for games, such as releasing a bundle on a locked flash drive for a bulk price? Would be interesting, no need for a case, smaller and less likely to be unreadable (though I rarely find damaged PS3 discs,  Xbox on the other hand).

'FireKnife'

No chance in the foreseeable future.  50GB on a £1.20 BD.  I can't see any sort of flash drive reaching that price with a similar amount of storage.

But games will get bigger, discs will reach thier limit and then what?

At least by then we will probably all be streaming and have mostly decent internet so it is kind of a moot point.

'FireKnife'

Who knows.  New higher capacity disc format?  New compression methods? We don't have the infrastructure to go straight to digital download only next.  Our average Internet speed in the UK is abysmal compared to some places.  I reckon we have at least one format progression before digital download becomes the norm for games content delivery.

Archived