Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, it seems naming schemes are complete bonkers usually.

Just watched MachSakai's review on the acm ZB-26/30, and there is something amusing about him being all decked out in multicam whilst holding it.  Still wants to hold one someday, curse my longing for obscure firearms.

Eh, we all have that obscure firearm that we want to try.

For me it is a Zastava M70 pistol, it is a sort of micro-Tokarev that looks funky. Also the trigger action and design of the Daewoo DP-51 / K5 intrigues me.

As this is the happy thread though well one of my friends is moving back to the UK for work near me so that is good. Got a second date lined up tomorrow and a possible third on Friday and I have just my gas bill to pay and all is well.

Also looking at my practical istol idea, got most of it down just need the people now, hopefully that should be easy when there are enough sites and potentials nearby.

EDIT: Also got caught up in the march to Murrayfield on Saturday for the rugby (as I needed to get the tram and so wasn't getting it from the centre of Edin) and it was actually quite a lot of fun, lots of singing, dancing and popping up in random peoples pics. Plus I didn't have to pay the entry fee to see scotland get hammered (but not as much as usual) by the All-Blacks as I just watched it at home. :P

'FireKnife'

KAC can turned up today. Some teething issues with it (It doesn't quite lock into place as well as I'd hoped, it can rotate with a little bit of force) but now the fun begins.

Trying to work out how to convert it into a tracer unit with its own power supply but keep it QD. Now I could butcher the inner tube to fit an existing tracer unit in with some work I reckon. Fortunately the can can unscrew from both ends. Engineering time ahoy.

EDIT: Also got caught up in the march to Murrayfield on Saturday for the rugby (as I needed to get the tram and so wasn't getting it from the centre of Edin) and it was actually quite a lot of fun, lots of singing, dancing and popping up in random peoples pics. Plus I didn't have to pay the entry fee to see scotland get hammered (but not as much as usual) by the All-Blacks as I just watched it at home. :P

'FireKnife'

That's the difference between rugby and football fans. Rugby fans can get , sing the filthyest songs about each other and generally take the out of each other without it ending in a punch up. The fact that opposing fans don't have to be separated says alot about the mentality of those involved

So true, all the All Blacks and Scottish fans trapsed along in line without causing an issue. Sure they made noise, sure they had drinks but no-one had an issue and they all kept as best as they could to the roads.

In fact it was such fun I might have to do it again, just take the wander to Murrayfield when a game is on and even have the typical £3 postion of chips on the way :).

Every football game I have ever been to (about 7-8) end up with some scattered groups battering each other, rugby games never seem to have that issue. For a sport that is more contact the fans seem less so.

'FireKnife'

That's because football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans and rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen.

Anyway, I think it's more down to rugby only going pro in the 90's and wages being comparably far lower, so players don't become prima donas who think the sun shines out of their *albartroth*

Plus the primary point of rubgy is of course contact, football advises against it and has many rules in place so being a prima-donna in rugby is going to be worse than being the guy that has to bend over to get the soap in prison.

But then perhaps the cost of a ticket to Murrayfield deters certain 'fans' (read scum that just want a punch up) from turning up too as there mediocre job will only pay for the football season ticket they can always seem to afford :P.

As for me I have a cousin in the Scotland 'reserves' for the national team (or whatever they are called in rugby) and a friend with an uncle that works for RBS so both can get the odd free ticket. Think I might have to actually try and attend a game.

'FireKnife'

KAC can turned up today. Some teething issues with it (It doesn't quite lock into place as well as I'd hoped, it can rotate with a little bit of force) but now the fun begins.

Trying to work out how to convert it into a tracer unit with its own power supply but keep it QD. Now I could butcher the inner tube to fit an existing tracer unit in with some work I reckon. Fortunately the can can unscrew from both ends. Engineering time ahoy.

I've done that, It's not difficult.

Good luck.

Yeah.  Can't say I'm a massive fan of it.  The '65s have a kind of old school BMW E21 profile which is kind of cool but I massively prefer the '67 Fastback type.  Still, can't deny the engineering that went into that beast.

Battle mechs have the same conceptual problem that tanks do.

They cost a fortune and are vulnerable to infantrymen with shoulder mounted weapon systems.

I foresee an alternate future.

Clouds, swarms of millions of drones.  All costing a few quid each and all with the equivalent of an anti-armour shaped charge in them.

Each will have a smart phone processor and some simple sensors.

The swarm will have a distributed network with the equivalent computational capacity of a supercomputer.

The swarm will be able to decide when each element requires charging and will be able to rotate individuals through a charging field (wireless charging) projected from a low-cost vehicle of some kind.

For the cost of an aircraft carrier you will be able to project control over a vast geographical area and select and destroy individual targets (down to a single human target).

As a side benefit the drones could loiter at a hundred meters or so and provide complete G2 coverage of an area.

Shoot one down?  No problem, can you shoot down a million?

Tank?  Cool story bro, did I tell you about the time I hit a tank with 200,000 anti-armour warheads?

Supersonic aircraft?  Oops, did I just fly a load of drones into your air intakes?  Bird strike? Bomb strike more like...

Bomb a building?  Or just blow a hole in the wall with one drone and then fly 1000 in the hole to kill everyone inside.

Why waste money on tanks and mechs when at the end of the day they all have  a squishy human inside begging to be killed by a high G load.

Someone tell the guys at cod . Please. . !!

I am sure they are using a ten year old to decide what weopons to bring into the game .

Ghosts was the funniest , machine guns in space

Aw weopon choice is just as bad . Mech suits . Jet packs , guns that never need reloading

. They have totally lost the plot !!

machine guns in space

Nothing wrong with machine guns in space if you can find a way of cooling them. Ballistically, they'd be much more efficient in space. No bullet drop to compensate for, no air to create drag on the bullet.

Drones are ruthlessly effective, but mechs are cooler.

Big problem would be muzzle force propelling anyone who fired them backwards at some velocity though. . And watching the gun weld itself together after a couple of shots .

A microwave jammer would effectively neutralise any drones though . Mechs would be useless as targeting systems would make them easy targets on a battlefield .

Not exactly the height of stealth !!

EMP.

Drones cooked.

Everyone goes back to bullets and iron sights.

Problem with vast technological warfare is when you find someone willing to make the tech to counter it, it can make it all go wrong.

Plus if tech was everything then what about the various 20th and 21st century conflicts that have proved that humans can still be deadly with a rifle and some bullets, no matter how good the enemy is? The first rule of battle is psychology, technology is a firm second.

'FireKnife'

Battle mechs have the same conceptual problem that tanks do.

They cost a fortune and are vulnerable to infantrymen with shoulder mounted weapon systems.

I foresee an alternate future.

Clouds, swarms of millions of drones.  All costing a few quid each and all with the equivalent of an anti-armour shaped charge in them.

Each will have a smart phone processor and some simple sensors.

The swarm will have a distributed network with the equivalent computational capacity of a supercomputer.

The swarm will be able to decide when each element requires charging and will be able to rotate individuals through a charging field (wireless charging) projected from a low-cost vehicle of some kind.

For the cost of an aircraft carrier you will be able to project control over a vast geographical area and select and destroy individual targets (down to a single human target).

As a side benefit the drones could loiter at a hundred meters or so and provide complete G2 coverage of an area.

Shoot one down?  No problem, can you shoot down a million?

Tank?  Cool story bro, did I tell you about the time I hit a tank with 200,000 anti-armour warheads?

Supersonic aircraft?  Oops, did I just fly a load of drones into your air intakes?  Bird strike? Bomb strike more like...

Bomb a building?  Or just blow a hole in the wall with one drone and then fly 1000 in the hole to kill everyone inside.

Why waste money on tanks and mechs when at the end of the day they all have  a squishy human inside begging to be killed by a high G load.

So, you've not thought about this much then, Stunt? ;) That sounds brilliantly evil. Couple it with the recent leaps in additive manufacturing (including 'printed' circuits), and you've got a self repairing, self refuelling area denial get up, coupled with the ultimate anti-armour weapon, as well as bunker busters and boat sinkers. Noice.

Problems would arise with live controls being subject to time delay (zomg lag!) and potential intrusions from other agents.

This would lead to more autonomous units. This would then lead to the exclusion of hooman beans from the decision making process. 

Voila. Killer drones. Robot uprising. End of Times.

What propulsion system would you have them use, btw?

Big problem would be muzzle force propelling anyone who fired them backwards at some velocity though. . And watching the gun weld itself together after a couple of shots .

A microwave jammer would effectively neutralise any drones though . Mechs would be useless as targeting systems would make them easy targets on a battlefield .

Not exactly the height of stealth !!

Newton's Third Law of Motion, I see. Not necessarily.

One can presume that once we're waging war in space  (spaaaaace) then we'll already have MMU's (jetpacks) which will (most likely) use micro pulses of nitrogen (or similar noble gas) to control velocity and direction. It would be simple enough to link a microswitch on the trigger/recoil system with a central processing unit which would analyse the direction the gun was pointed when fired and trigger an appropriate, opposite pulse to counteract the firing.

Other options include (but are not limited to): Lasers, Microwaves, and self propelled ammunition (similar to the old gyojets) with miniature shaped charges. 

Not that I've thought about it much ;).

Also - space is a vacuum. Currently residing around 2.7ish Kelvin. That's VERY VERY cold. How would the gun weld itself together?

EMP.

Drones cooked.

Everyone goes back to bullets and iron sights.

Problem with vast technological warfare is when you find someone willing to make the tech to counter it, it can make it all go wrong.

Lol.  This isn't COD.  You don't think all these tech weapons have shielding?

Archived