Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

The cold would freeze the metals add an explosive heat of a bullet being fired on already very brittle metals and . What could possibly go wrong !!??

As for the drones they would have any operating signals jammed or disrupted by an emp or microwave . So would have to be self programmed . As loss of any means to control / communicate with them could be catastrophic

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big problem would be muzzle force propelling anyone who fired them backwards at some velocity though. . And watching the gun weld itself together after a couple of shots .

A microwave jammer would effectively neutralise any drones though . Mechs would be useless as targeting systems would make them easy targets on a battlefield .

Not exactly the height of stealth !!

Microwave jammer would only work if you communicated solely by microwave.

What about optical comms as employed by swarming birds and insects?

Or, when a drone detects a jamming signal and is cut off from the distributed net it goes into solo mode, travels to the source of the jamming and blows it up.

So, you've not thought about this much then, Stunt? ;) That sounds brilliantly evil. Couple it with the recent leaps in additive manufacturing (including 'printed' circuits), and you've got a self repairing, self refuelling area denial get up, coupled with the ultimate anti-armour weapon, as well as bunker busters and boat sinkers. Noice.

Problems would arise with live controls being subject to time delay (zomg lag!) and potential intrusions from other agents.

This would lead to more autonomous units. This would then lead to the exclusion of hooman beans from the decision making process. 

Voila. Killer drones. Robot uprising. End of Times.

What propulsion system would you have them use, btw?

Simple quadcopters wiill do it, cheapness is key.

Newton's Third Law of Motion, I see. Not necessarily.

One can presume that once we're waging war in space  (spaaaaace) then we'll already have MMU's (jetpacks) which will (most likely) use micro pulses of nitrogen (or similar noble gas) to control velocity and direction. It would be simple enough to link a microswitch on the trigger/recoil system with a central processing unit which would analyse the direction the gun was pointed when fired and trigger an appropriate, opposite pulse to counteract the firing.

Better yet have the cooling system for the rifle be a squirt of gas that comes out the back.

Other options include (but are not limited to): Lasers, Microwaves, and self propelled ammunition (similar to the old gyojets) with miniature shaped charges. 

Not that I've thought about it much ;).

Also - space is a vacuum. Currently residing around 2.7ish Kelvin. That's VERY VERY cold. How would the gun weld itself together?

Because although space is cold there are only about 3 atoms of hydrogen per cubic meter so there aren't enough molecules in contact with the metal to cool it down.

*suitcase* gets hot.

However, because of there being no atmosphere a chemical projectile weapon is pointless, a big air rifle won't get hot and will be just as deadly in space.

Doesn't need cooling and the recoil would be easier to manage by venting gas to the rear.

Drones man, I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

Also, if a drone is cut off from the hive mind and low on juice it lands and conserves battery whilst becoming a smart land mine.

EMP won't work once the drones are controlled by a 3D printed optical circuit.

Graphene super capacitors for batteries.

Face recognising, target seeking, mobile phone tracking, autonomous, choice making dealers of death.

The first rule of battle is only psychology if you have a psyche.

How do you think your psyche would react if you found yourself fighting 10,000,000 drones that fly and jink so that you can't hit them?

Then if you do hit one it crash lands on you, blows up and kills you anyway.

Take the humans out of the loop, give the machines an end state, say "achieve that" and stand back.

Give a few to the police to stop high speed pursuits.  That's good PR.

The cold would freeze the metals add an explosive heat of a bullet being fired on already very brittle metals and . What could possibly go wrong !!??

As for the drones they would have any operating signals jammed or disrupted by an emp or microwave . So would have to be self programmed . As loss of any means to control / communicate with them could be catastrophically cool.

I'm not bothered, the world has to end somehow.

Drones is a pretty cool way.

Theoretically they could be defeated by a high-powered scanning pulse laser shooting down hundreds of them a second.

You can't make one of those in a cave in Afghanistan though.

The Russians probably won't sell you one either.

I love the idea of 100% G2 coverage of a target area, your enemy makes an HME device and in the same second, the bomb maker, the factory and anybody who helped him are all blown to pieces.

That's terror.

Your turn *fruitcage*ers.

And how much would ten million drones cost? I mean really, knowing military production efficiency (or lack thereof?)

Not including the logistics of transporting them, fuelling them, etc, even if it is $100 each, thats millions of dollars for each attack.

What happens when they start failing and crashing? Even a 0.1% failure rate would leave bits of UXO lying around everywhere.

Besides that, it wouldn't take a lot of C-RAMs or the future equivelant, that would surely be developed, to hinder even a swarm.

One constant throughout modern history, has been the assumption that each new development in technology will make the infantry, cavalry and artillary obsolete, yet as of yet, this has not happened. The ground forces will adapt and overcome.

Knowing our goverment they would cut corners / costs and use Chinese / cheap components. Which would lead to failure / malfunctions Also the probability of them being copied or cloned by other country's boffins would lead to every country having their version of them to use !! Thus creating an even bigger problem ..

As said above . The human factor of in battle decision is always required as split second decisions sometimes have to be made in the heat of the moment to allow for outside forces / problems that can change anything .

How come most airsofters like the idea of an apocalypse? Zombies, robots and good old fashioned extreme ideology. Aliens, I left out et Aliens didn't I . . . .

This close (finger and thumb are held apart, with only a fraction of an inch between them) to getting a webley rif revolver. Ooooh very exciting.

My vision of the future is nanoweapons being the next wmd's. Thick black smoke (like the monster is lost. Or the Matrix) hanging perpetually over the Levant.

Also GCHQ and NSA developing super quantum surveillance software which accidentally becomes intelligent and mistakenly assumes its vast vast harvested social media data as millions if not billions of distinct personalities, which it takes to be its own and so lives a schizophrenic, simultaneous, vicarious existence. I'd hope they'd unplug it but honestly probably not. 

edit: if anyone is genuinely worried about autonomous weaponry ( as am I) consider joining: http://www.stopkillerrobots.org/

Lol.  This isn't COD.  You don't think all these tech weapons have shielding?

And how many will develop a next gen EMP or something to take care of that? Plus the shielding will cost far too much anyway.

And if not that then some sort of multi-barreled defence turret with full lock on potential. No matter how hard you try humans will just find more expensive ways to kill each other which will then all break down and leave you with two options, conventional people on people combat or nuclear deterence.

'FireKnife'

Take the humans out of the loop, give the machines an end state, say "achieve that" and stand back.

Give a few to the police to stop high speed pursuits. That's good PR.

Not if they have kids or innocent people in the car with them its not !!

Sure it is, just have a drone with a smaller (or variable) payload take out the engine.

Or blind the driver with a high powered IR laser (might still kill the passengers).

Land on the bonnet and project the message "stop or I'll detonate" at 120dB.

And how much would ten million drones cost? I mean really, knowing military production efficiency (or lack thereof?)

Not including the logistics of transporting them, fuelling them, etc, even if it is $100 each, thats millions of dollars for each attack.

What happens when they start failing and crashing? Even a 0.1% failure rate would leave bits of UXO lying around everywhere.

Besides that, it wouldn't take a lot of C-RAMs or the future equivelant, that would surely be developed, to hinder even a swarm.

One constant throughout modern history, has been the assumption that each new development in technology will make the infantry, cavalry and artillary obsolete, yet as of yet, this has not happened. The ground forces will adapt and overcome.

You don't need to transport them, they can fly.

You can fuel them with solar panels on the back of dirigables

When the fall and crash they go into "smart mine" mode or simply transmit a co-ordinate for collection. If you try to pick it up without permission it blows up. UXO not a huge deal on the surface without anti-lift.

Ford class aircraft carrier costs 15 billion and the US navy wants 11 of them.  Cheap is subjective.

My vision of the future is nanoweapons being the next wmd's. Thick black smoke (like the monster is lost. Or the Matrix) hanging perpetually over the Levant.

Also GCHQ and NSA developing super quantum surveillance software which accidentally becomes intelligent and mistakenly assumes its vast vast harvested social media data as millions if not billions of distinct personalities, which it takes to be its own and so lives a schizophrenic, simultaneous, vicarious existence. I'd hope they'd unplug it but honestly probably not. 

edit: if anyone is genuinely worried about autonomous weaponry ( as am I) consider joining: http://www.stopkillerrobots.org/

Yes!

Grey goo, that's a way to go.  Any future alien species finding what's left of earth gets consumed too.

That's just my idea but smaller, fly into the enemy's lungs, get into his brain through his blood and give him a stroke.

Job done.

Point defence lasers are already in development.

Had a strong feeling someone would be trying this already. As I said defence and attack will end up just being as good as each other.

But then who exactly is there to really fight? Most major countries are all 'friends' now for trade reasons anyway and the likes of North Korea may all be one big military state but they don't have the best kit.

Sure it is, just have a drone with a smaller (or variable) payload take out the engine.

Or blind the driver with a high powered IR laser (might still kill the passengers).

Land on the bonnet and project the message "stop or I'll detonate" at 120dB.

How about the method used back in You Only Live Twice but with robots / drones. Airlift them via a large electromagnet over a large drop or something and then give them a choice?

'FireKnife'

But then who exactly is there to really fight? Most major countries are all 'friends' now for trade reasons anyway and the likes of North Korea may all be one big military state but they don't have the best kit.

Don't take this the wrong way but this is ignorant, to quote Richard Madeley "in the pure sense of the word"

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nato-head-sees-very-serious-russian-military-build-110732909.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/11097614/Nato-begins-military-exercises-in-Ukraine.html

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1604062/joint-us-philippine-exercises-start-near-disputed-south-china-sea-waters

edit: USA to spend more then 1 trillion (!) on nuclear arsenal: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2765493/Projected-US-nuclear-weapons-spending-hits-1-TRILLION-just-five-years-Obama-s-Nobel-Peace-Prize.html

Note that I said 'friends' in quote. As in we are friends in the sense that we need each other for a stable-ish economic system.

Plus you go back through any period post WW2 and there has always been some NATO or Far East or Soviet Bloc (or ex-Soviet now) dispute or training somewhere. I think you got the wrong end of the stick in that it is not we don't have people to fight but at the moment we have a shoestring reason to keep the peace for personal gain.

Also just to point out and I am not the only one that thinks this, referencing the Daily Mail never goes down well as while I am sure for reasons of legal matters they have to print something that is 'true' it will be wildly blown out of proportion compared to the real story. But that is just my (and many others) opinions.

EDIT: Though while I do agree Russia does look like it could spill over into something worse we have had the Cold War and all that did was bankrupt them. I don't think they woud make such a costly mistake again but then as with time, leaders change too and maybe the ignorance of Putin might be the tipping point (highly doubt it but anything is possible).

'FireKnife'

Note that I said 'friends' in quote. As in we are friends in the sense that we need each other for a stable-ish economic system.

Plus you go back through any period post WW2 and there has always been some NATO or Far East or Soviet Bloc (or ex-Soviet now) dispute or training somewhere. I think you got the wrong end of the stick in that it is not we don't have people to fight but at the moment we have a shoestring reason to keep the peace for personal gain.

Also just to point out and I am not the only one that thinks this, referencing the Daily Mail never goes down well as while I am sure for reasons of legal matters they have to print something that is 'true' it will be wildly blown out of proportion compared to the real story. But that is just my (and many others) opinions.

'FireKnife'

I disagree. Russia and NATO/EU are not "friends", unfortunately. You says its about trade - you must be aware of the various sanctions, France's cancellation of warship building contracts etc?   http://www.south-stream.info/pipeline/significance/ - this is important. edit: some more economic warfare here: http://www.theweek.co.uk/business/oil-price/60838/brent-crude-oil-price-falls-to-fresh-four-year-low-below-80

I think your attitude on the Daily Mail is ridiculously simplistic. Fair enough if you want to make an easy gag on mock the week but it's actually a decent paper with a good team of journalists. Notice their complete absence from the phone hacking scandal? Their instrumental role in getting justice for Stephen Lawrence? Probably not...

If you don't want the daily mail, try one of these...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/us-begin-1-trillion-upgrade-nuclear-weapons-arsenal-1474990

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/14/chuck-hagel-orders-radical-shakeup-us-nuclear-forces-defense-secretary

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/13/chuck-hagel-nuclear-air-force_n_6155722.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/14/us-usa-nuclear-idUSKCN0IY1KP20141114

http://time.com/3585561/nuclear-weapons-chuck-hagel-pentagon/

http://online.wsj.com/articles/hagel-outlines-new-weapons-plan-1416100042

I didn't specifically know of the French sanctions but I do know there are sanctions abound. However I still think that to simply say there is not something in it for both countries that is holding off worse conflict isn't correct. While 'friends' is perhaps in your mind not the right term, I still think something is going on in that is holding things at bay (rather than rapidly escalating or de-escalating). But that is my opinion, Russia along only has the power to win by total annihilation if anything, it is not a country that can roll over the rest of the world and I am sure they know that much.

And I think putting faith in the Daily Mail is daft personally but then that is for different reasons (even excluding historical supporting of far right movements, something many media groups have been guilty of). Just because they were not in the phone hacking scandal doesn't make them a saint, there were other papers not involved which I trust a damn sight more than them. Again personal opinion.

Thanks for the other links but again reading them still fees like it is saying 'this might happen' as often these 'radical shake-ups' do. Not saying it won't happen but again I am sure this is not the first time I have seen such mentions of a major US weapons spending or changes in a major countries arsenal. Things like Russia may be seen as scary and that we need a deterent for them but I still personally think it is going to escalate to nothing, not sticking my head in the sand, more going on the fact that this is not the first time this has happened and while Russia may not want to get along with the rest of us given push to shove Russia would have a lot of countries bearing down on them if they ever make the first move.

Again all personal opinion based on what I have read or know about but to say things 'ridiculously simplistic' and not expect someone to defend against it would be odd.

'FireKnife'

The only real reason country's fight is because the shareholders of these massive arms company's will make wArs just to get a return on their investments . !!

As said modern wArfare is going to be with the enemy within .

All the nukes , drones , mechs are pointless when it comes to home grown terrorism .internal attacks from groups .

Our Belgian partners have decided to release a new system at work.

It is called the Terminal Integration Test System.

No seriously, that is what it is called. We even have a released screenshot of the system going live with the acronym on the main page next to OTS.

Why oh why do people not check these things? Shall we invent one for them called Killer Unified Testing (incase you didn't know the acronym for that is the Dutch equivalent to *Ubar* [company is mostly Dutch Belgians]).

'FireKnife'

Hey!

This is the cheerful thread.

I am typing this on a Lenovo X220 laptop that cost 76 quid because it is "broken".

I just replaced the chassis with a brand new Lenovo spare that cost £30 in under 20 minutes using 2 tools (I only needed one of them because Lenovo/IBM didn't invent the VGA port).

This is why Lenovo laptops are the best in the world.

I am also on a week off and playing Borderlands the Pre-Sequel.

Imo it's going to take a massive incident to start a large war between 2 properly tooled up nations as the repercussions for both sides would be huge. As Badbazz posted, it's more likely against smaller groups or possibly proxy wars like during the cold war

I just spent half an hour watching youtube vids of the DIY artillery in Syria. 

It's mostly pipe bombs fired from massive slingshots (which legitimises my building one for lobbing pyro, like the old water balloon one I had that got confiscated for lobbing warm capri suns at Reading Festival)

They have something called the "Hell Cannon" though, which is a kind of spigot mortar that uses a propane cylinder full of ammonium nitrate fertilizer explosive as a shell.

Hey!

This is the cheerful thread.

I am typing this on a Lenovo X220 laptop that cost 76 quid because it is "broken".

I just replaced the chassis with a brand new Lenovo spare that cost £30 in under 20 minutes using 2 tools (I only needed one of them because Lenovo/IBM didn't invent the VGA port).

This is why Lenovo laptops are the best in the world.

I am also on a week off and playing Borderlands the Pre-Sequel.

ah yes the fabled 'broken' laptops

usually software based, a quick wipe and clean windows. sorted.

on the gaming note, i'm spoiled rotten.

haven't finished sunset overdrive yet, haven't finished Halo MCC yet, Destiny is still dragging me back, got FarCry4 yesterday and GTA 5 today, BF4 has a new mappack aswell...

EDIT: this literally just popped up on tumblr... tumblr_nf7mwbMjhs1s5kgq3o1_1280.jpg

Archived