Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting lego and mega bloks (Minecraft and call of duty respectively) for Christmas, so I can't wait for that. Also, I love Christmas decorations, carols, music (you know slade and all that) and food. It's not the presents I like, it's the copious amounts of food and snacks, that pop up in super markets, that get my boiler burning.

I've been looking for that Simpsons clip were Homer tells Bart to butter his bacon. I thought that clip might be perfect for the christmas sandwich stand off.

Also, good to see another fan of stuffing with sausage meat. Tastes so good. Pork. Pork. PORK!!!

Stuffing is ONLY good when sausagemeat is used.

The exception being when it is sage and onion, in a roll, filled with pork and sauce of your choice as then the sausagemeat is redundant.

Also looked at the new Minecraft Lego and CoD Megabloks. The CoD stuff is a bit meh but the Minecraft new ones are alright. At least they point out the other options and what you can do with the kit and are a better scale than the other sets.

As for me, KFC tonight. Have one truly unhealthy tea night ever week and tonight is that night. So much awesome.

EDIT: Sepaking of Lego, more people need to back this idea: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/83161

EDIT2: In fact looking at that I hope the Lego Doctor Who and Lego Ghostbusters HQ do actually hit the shelves.

'FireKnife'

My bugbear for the day . Schools going pc and not calling Christmas flaming Christmas anymore for fear of offending somebody .

We live in a Christian country with a long tradition of being christians . ,now the pc crowd are even trying to make Christmas a dirty word .!!

What next . Churches pulled down in case they offend someone ??

The lunatics have definitly taken control of the asylum. ,!!

My bugbear for the day . Schools going pc and not calling Christmas flaming Christmas anymore for fear of offending somebody .

We live in a Christian country with a long tradition of being christians . ,now the pc crowd are even trying to make Christmas a dirty word .!!

What next . Churches pulled down in case they offend someone ??

The lunatics have definitly taken control of the asylum. ,!!

Actually, to be honest, I would rather we didn't live in a country defined by it's religious belief given that church attendence in the UK is one of the lowest and much of it is by a more specific age group (ie: older). For me I don't give a *suitcase* what people call it, it is a leftover holiday from a (should be) defunct religion that stole it from a belief it forced out in the first place. Now it is just a commercial example of capitalism and debt at it's worst.

But as this is the happy thread I came here to post this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttstroke Trust the Americans to call it something like this. Though to be honest it was first featured in Navy training manuals and involves pushing your butt in peoples faces so maybe it needed the illustrations to be clear in the first place, in case others thought it meant something else. :P

'FireKnife'

Actually, to be honest, I would rather we didn't live in a country defined by it's religious belief given that church attendence in the UK is one of the lowest and much of it is by a more specific age group (ie: older). For me I don't give a *suitcase* what people call it, it is a leftover holiday from a (should be) defunct religion that stole it from a belief it forced out in the first place. Now it is just a commercial example of capitalism and debt at it's worst.

WARNING: Grinch detected.

Not a Grinch, more fed up of various types of real world BS that gets slung around by idiots. 'Christmas' just exacerbates it.

And again happy thread. I am happy about the fact work is over in 15mins as it has been one hell of a dull afternoon with little to do.

'FireKnife'

That, I can get behind.

Work has been so slow, I've been brushing up on my Battletech Clan politics, and ordered a copy of Mechwarrior 3 for all of £2.50 delivered off eBay.

I might call up a few mates and see if I can get a Battletech game going. The bonus being we can play it in the pub.

But as this is the happy thread I came here to post this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttstroke Trust the Americans to call it something like this.

'FireKnife'

The Brit army call it that too?..

Full of innuendos rifle firing though - Let me show you my kneeling unsupported position right after you get back from the Butts party.

We live in a Christian country with a long tradition of being christians.

Meh, just because we did something for ages doesn't make it a good idea.  I would say (and the numbers back me up) that we life in a Secular country and the level of secularity is increasing.

Also, your favourite person in the world agrees with you:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2014/06/pm-reaffirms-britain-is-a-christian-country-at-parliamentary-prayer-breakfast--british-social-attitudes-figures-suggest-otherwise

Christmas is fine if you are a Christian.

However, it is totally broken, the shattered scraps of a dozed ideologies scooped together into a drooling unstoppable monster.

Forcing the poor into further debt to buy empty baubles for their wretched, ungrateful and numerous parasites.

Driving an image of unattainable perfection into the minds of the masses through the media, making their lives seem hopeless by comparison, driving many more to suicide than at any other time of the year.

Causing me to have to visit my father-in-law.

Making every aspect of daily life harder for the pay off that you get to be miserable and exhausted for one disgusting day of bitter disappointment and anticlimax.

This year I will be pretending that I've never heard of it, when people talk to me about it I will look at them with a bemused expression.  I will ask them to explain this bizarre tradition to me and earnestly listen to them.

I hate xmas more than rice.

However.

Since this is the happy thread... *fruitcage* it.  I can't think of anything.

*fruitcage* xmas.

Not me man. I *fruitcage* love it. Not about the presents (though I will enjoy buying presents for my parasites), it's about seeing people who I haven't seen for a while. Yes they could make the effort at other points of the year, but at Christmas it's easier for them to get up/down (off work any way so no need to worry about booking days off). Got a fair few friends who don't care for it, but because I don't go on about it or say how much I like it, they know I do, but their not arsed (well, until the skitting starts but that's fair game as everyone skits everyone else).

I think for me it's because I have fond memories of Christmas (seeing family, and then later in life, old friends who've moved away through the years, but who come back at Christmas), more so than any other time of the year. And yes, am a sad sack who loves putting the tree up, then sitting with a nice festive drink to watch Die Hard. Bliss.

I also know a few people who've had horrible experiences at Christmas, and never in a month of Sundays, would I bring it up around them. That would be very bad taste (seeing as I know the reason why, it would be extremely tactless).

I love christmas.

1: Cold weather. (potential of snow)

2: good TV

4: what happened to 3??

5:FOOD - socially acceptable to eat FAR too much

6: DRINK - socially acceptable to drink for breakfast and not stop...

7: seeing friends and family

8: watching peoples faces when they get something they genuinely weren't expecting and makes them happy.

6: brilliant films and that.

9: Was that a second 6?!

10: epic board game marathons

3: Ahh, here it is.

Most of what people have put: 'see others', 'watch films', 'days off', 'food and drink' make me realise that Christmas has just become a social excuse now.

The one that gets me is when it is called the season of goodwill. So the remaining 11 months of the year are '*fruitcage* the poor'? Seeing family and meeting people, do you try to keep each other at arms reach the rest of the year then? Food and drink, summer is better for that due to barbecues. Watch films, who really watches TV movies that much anymore now that everything is on the net all year round?

All of the things that people use as the alternative way to make Christmas not sound like it is just about spending and ancient religious BS that isn't relevant anymore are things we can and should be doing the rest of the year too.

It is a bit like Valentines day. Why do you need one day of the year to tell your partner you care and buy them cutesy ? Do you just phone it in the other 364 days? To me Christmas is just one big stream of excuses for a holiday that people don't really know half the meaning of.

If I have children I will take the amount I would spend on them at Christmas and split it down into 12, a present for each month. That way they don't expect everything in one go, they don't have to wait to Christmas for a new present, it makes it easier on me not bulk buying for one day and finally it gets them used to real life where you have to wait until the end of each month to get something, the same as the wait we all have as adults for pay day. I would just tell them that Christmas gets them a bonus (spend £30 on them instead of £15) and a chance to see all the other family members that treat it with the usual 'chance to see each other' attitude that seems to be the reason nowadays.

I know a lot of people will not agree but that is my way of looking at it. I like treating my self and others as and when I can, not lumping debt onto a single day in which we cook too much food and tolerate family members that we can't be bothered with.

And anyway this is the happy thread so lets try something happy. Got my dispatch notice for Pokemon so expect it to be in my hands tomorrow. If not I will buy it from somewhere else and if the original copy arrives it will be sent for a refund as it was not received by release date. Also got my date with the hot Polish girl sorted, I quite like her half Scots, half Poles accent too :P.

'FireKnife'

Archived