Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of assumptions there fireknife, can't say that they don't come off as sounding a bit insulting. Maybe re-read what I put and you'd see a lot of answers to your questions.

Christmas is easier to get time off for people that I know.

My children don't just get treats at Christmas.

Being nice to people is something to do all the time, unless they are being insulting or ignorant (you know, if someone treats you badly you generally don't give a *suitcase* about them).

Looking forward to something (waiting) helps build character and teaches patience (a good trait to have).

You don't have to be religious to enjoy a sing along or watch trashy TV.

I agree about religion not being the main reason for some people, but the reason being presents/money.

The reason for me is an excuse to eat lots, play games and see people that at other times of the year can't get time off work (and expecting them to use the small amount of holidays to see me would be arrogant).

Some people like spending money to make themselves happy, that fine. But nothing beats being able to plan and look forward to a point in time that will be fun. Kind of like an airsoft event that takes a while to plan, prepare and get money together. It would be better than just a normal walk on day, as everyone has different times off work. But give them a date in the future, and boom, they've got time to arrange (if they so wish) day off work or babysitters, or even save up money (not everyone has dispossable income every month. But they may have a little, that they could save up, and with that amount, be able to get to a destination, that at other points of the year is too expensive to travel too (say every month).

Edit:- forgot to put; no-one should be forced to do something they don't like. If you don't like someone (be it an old friend or family member) and you're expected to see them at Christmas, don't see them and let them know you don't want to see them. Yes it's easyti say but very hard to do. But if something is worth doing and has a pay off (you feeling better), is worth the difficulty/hardship. Nothing is easy when it comes to looking after yourself (keeping fit, your body and mind), and should always be the top priority.

Well yeah, people love holidays.

Shame it *fruitcage*s over those in the hospitality sector (our own fault I guess). But my family are all over the world and it brings us together more so on one day with Skype etc. I also love skyping with the son of a friend fallen in Afghanistan on Christmas day especially even if it always brings me to tears.

I shall be spending another Christmas away from friends and family so I am going to try and work a soup kitchen or a shelter to help those more in need.

In happier news the shop at my brothers uni sells alcohol, this is amazing.

Worked Christmas day a few times, and yes some people take the , thinking they can be mean to you (just because you're working and their not, it would appear sometimes). I kind of liked working in a hotel on Christmas day (but to be fair, I was behind the bar and got lots of tips so my view was slightly different to other people working that day), though it as more to do with seeing children enjoying themselves, and because the manager had dressed as Father Christmas (handed out presents). I think for some people (right or wrong) Christmas gives them a chance to reach out to people that they've lost touch with or find it differcult to talk to (due to a tragedy).

Edit: Skarclaw, help your mum out bet she'd love it (unless she's like my mum and hates people interfering).

Christmas is a time to sit down , chill out and watch the kids faces as they open their presents ,and stare in wonder at the decorations ,

It may be stress full for adults but to see the happiness on your childrens faces and loved ones is priceless

. So fireknife you would rather get rid of it , does that include all the public holidays associated with it as well . ?.

A lot of assumptions there fireknife, can't say that they don't come off as sounding a bit insulting. Maybe re-read what I put and you'd see a lot of answers to your questions.

They were not directed at any one person in particular and is just my way of viewing such holidays in general. If you don't agree then good but I find that a lot of people treat Christmas as a time of excuses, a time to put things off, change things that don't need changing, spend money they don't have, do things that would be better left to another time of the year etc.

All my info comes from spending Christmas with two very different families due to my Mum and Dads divorce when I was young. One side was presents, family and all the issues I highlighted. The other was just the three, four or five people round the fire, exchanging small gifts and enjoying good food, however we also did this when I was up in summer too (albiet without the fire, Scotland isn't that cold :P). I preferred the latter and to be honest if one day Christmas was suddenly like say Easter and it was less mandatory then I wouldn't mind at all. Maybe this is the Scottish side of me speaking but I would much rather the effort was put into New Years, at least that is something that is relatively universal to celebrate, the coming of a New Year in the calender and a chance to band together, enjoy each others time and company while drinking heartily.

To me Christmas has become a bit of a sham and a lot of things that are assigned to it like ease of getting the day off are just odd or daft. I would rather exchange Christmas and Boxing day for two days off in July or August. For me two more days to take off and attend comedy with friends at The Fringe or away on holiday is better than what happens at Christmas. I get why some people celebrate it in different ways to the commercial failure it has become but my point is that, like many other year round 'days' it feels more like an excuse than a reason.

But anyway happy thread. One week til holiday, one month til the build up to New Year and then into a New Year of things to do and fun to have.

Also a good friend of mine is back looking for work in the UK so will have to see them and their dopey dog and see how there time away has been.

EDIT:

So fireknife you would rather get rid of it , does that include all the public holidays associated with it as well . ?.

As said above, yes. If I got the option to work Christmas / Boxing day and take two days off in the rest of the year then I would gladly take them. If the public holidays went altogether then that is two days down but legally businesses have to provide so many days holiday and I am sure for some that would mean they would be entitled to them in another time in the year, so not really that much of an issue.

If people want to celebrate Christmas in their own way then fine but my opinion is my opinion, I know others won't share it but that is life. As we move further and further from being a religious country along with our need to get people out of debt they put themselves into perhaps a year without all those things would be better for some, if not many (but of course, not all).

Maybe the idea of Christmas is too ingrained in peoples minds in various forms? I don't know, but to me I see it as a unnecessary, not because I will be spending it alone or have no kids (I will be with family on the day), but just my general view on it.

'FireKnife'

Dunno about new year but they shouldn't really do christmas, what with the whole pagan aspect:

Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the heavens,
though the nations are terrified by them.
For the practices of the peoples are worthless;
they cut a tree out of the forest,
and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.

But who cares!!

I hope The Great Escape is on this year. 

edit: in the above passage depending on which version you can replace nations with heathens /gentiles

edit again. Heathens not heavens! durr

If the government got rid of mandatory holidays for religious reasons, they would be gone and not replaced with more holidays. It would be naive to think other wise (come on, they love sucking up to businesses and they have tried for years to get rid of the religious bank holidays and workers bank holidays).

I love new year but it shouldn't be forced upon you, that only at one point of the year, can you make a change. You should be able to do that at any point of the year. Want to loose weight (which seems tied to over eating at Christmas)? Start straight away, you shouldn't need a day to realise you could do things better or to start a new hobby.

Postman just let himself in and put a parcel on my porch. Cheers bud, saves me opening the door to you, I suppose.

Hhmmmm. Bacon, sausage, egg, beans, black pudding (can't find any white pudding), mushrooms, hash browns, liver sausage and toast for tea. Hhhmmmmm, hhhhhhmmmmmmmmm. Hhhhhmmmmmmm.

Fireknife just reminded me of a Christmas when I was 4. Christmas morning '83 and my dads mate got me a big bag of soldiers. So I stop opening presents and just play away. Mum and Dad found it funny that I left my other presents till after dinner because I was so engrossed with the little army men (world war 2 style, grey for the germans and green for the Allies). Probably the cheapest present (he-man and co had to wait till after dinner) but ta not about costs, it was great getting something that someone knew I'd like (rather than just the latest thing). Loved those army figures.

Years ago Christmas was about the kids and fAmillys getting together and laughing , chatting , catching up with each other . Presents were secondary to the celebration . You made do with what you had ,

Nowadays its all consumerised .., its about spending money , having the latest gadgets and watching tv .. The real soul of it all has been lost

Buying a present for someone you like isn't exactly sucking up to the big bad capitalist idea of a world in harmony. But how ironic, here we are, on an airsoft forum, were you have to spend money to go airsofting. We love spending money on airsoft products, isn't that the heart of the big bad companies ethos?

Anything is what you make it. You want to spend loads of money, that's up to you (you might be rich and can afford it). But don't get into debt for it, as it's a never ending cycle.

To be honest, I prefer boxing day as that's when I would see my cousins, and it would be a big pile of consumerism dream moment of kids playing with each other's new toys. No objectifying or saying you got *suitcase* toys, just kids playing.

Having refused to provide any lists this year, I like to think I am going against the consumerist curve this time of year, even though I know in the ends stuff will be wasted on me.  At the very least, I was able to help mother get things for others easily.

If its the christian angle you dont like just think of it as celebrating winter solstice, thats why its at the time of year it is anyway, we were doing mid winter celebrations long before any christians turned up and slapped the Christmas label on it! 

So glad I don't need to pop the shops today. This Black Friday business sounds like a mad persons plot to try and find the people who will do anything for a bargain. I mean anything.

Star Wars teaser trailer goes online sometime today and I can't wait. I know it will look good, even if the movie is *suitcase*, but in all honesty I don't care. I am a Star Wars fan and shall give it a go (open mind, open mind), when it is released next year.

Archived