Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

I had a mate who ran an MOT station who passed mine as a standard corsa. Win!

In my younger days I may have known a man with an MOT station who trusted me to the extent where the MOT certs for my car would arrive through the post annually.

To be fair it would have only failed on emissions.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years back when my car was due for an MOT. 

Tester: How is it?

Me: Yeah.  All good.

Goes through fine, no advisories.  And the advisories from last year had magically been sorted lol.

From the car or from your 'hearty' Scottish diet?

As for me, soon to be new gun time then in a few months when the TM USPc finally gets UK side (must be due for release soon) it will be new gun time again.

'FireKnife'

In my younger days I may have known a man with an MOT station who trusted me to the extent where the MOT certs for my car would arrive through the post annually.

To clarify, I also meant emissions.

It was a 4 litre jeep cherokee. I ripped the cat off and put a full stainless system on it, so emissions were... A lot!

Initlal moan then into fantastic customer service:

A while back Stena Line (of Ferry fame) gave cabins to MOD personnel travelling to Ireland/N.Ireland but scrapped it because some lovely wife complained. The ferry leaves at 2200 and she claimed that by this hour her children didn't need the meal voucher so please can she have it as £15 cash.

For a free ferry journey. So someone looked into it and realised it was legacy from the old provider and the MOD weren't entitled to anything. This means no cabins, no meals for anyone that isn't on 'duty' meaning leave travel, when most people drive 3+ hours after sleeping on a bar floor have to pay £50 for a cabin - which is normally outside your average private soldiers budget (besides, if you're sleeping in the bar you might as well invest that £50 into something you can drink)

The last 6 journeys I have made with Stena they've given me and others travelling with me free cabins, as they're just sitting empty if not used. Last night they not only allowed me to board with the trucks (20 minutes after the cut off, 10 minutes before departure) as I got stuck in traffic, but refunded the cost of the cabin in the morning. Props to you Stena Line, and plastic makeup/drawn on eyebrows Stacey on the customer desk.

Emissions.

What a load of nonsense.  Did you know that catalytic converters increase CO2 emissions?

Did you know the alternative to cats that was considered to clean up exhausts back then was a lean-burn engine?

Thatcher favoured the lean-burn which would be better for petrol heads and the world, it seems.  She was ignored.

If it wasn't for petrol, the industrial revolution (which was dependant on whale sourced oil) would have made all the whales extinct.

So cars saved the whales.

My car had a lightly modified engine that might have emitted some occasional flames.

Everything else was fine.

Better than fine actually, my two-piece discs and Brembo calipers could stop the car in half the distance required.

Half.

I should have got free petrol for that.

Same with scooters . Take the vespa / piaggio two stroke and four stroke engine for example ,

So well designed that it runs cleaner than a yamaha ( insert any other make ) does with all its emission bolt ons and management .

You can remove all the goverment required emission stuff and still pass the emission test . !!

Boris got stuffed live on Lbc radio today !!!!

Nissan have pulled the plug and pulled out of london taxi manufacturing . And the other two company's have announced that the technology required to meet his lower emission zone requirements is not yet available to make a cab that meets the requirements .

He was not aware of any of the manufacturers public withdrawals / announcements regarding this , so he waffled on about it Untill a cab driver / union guy rang in and made him look the incompetant fool . Was radio gold to hear boris back peddling and trying to dig his *albatross* out of the *suitcase* !!

My car had a lightly modified engine that might have emitted some occasional flames.

Everything else was fine.

Better than fine actually, my two-piece discs and Brembo calipers could stop the car in half the distance required.

Half.

I should have got free petrol for that.

Nice. That on your octy? I've always liked the aesthetics of two piece discs, as well as the stopping power.

Boris got stuffed live on Lbc radio today !!!!

Nissan have pulled the plug and pulled out of london taxi manufacturing . And the other two company's have announced that the technology required to meet his lower emission zone requirements is not yet available to make a cab that meets the requirements .

He was not aware of any of the manufacturers public withdrawals / announcements regarding this , so he waffled on about it Untill a cab driver / union guy rang in and made him look the incompetant fool . Was radio gold to hear boris back peddling and trying to dig his *albatross* out of the *suitcase* !!

Nissan have never made London Taxis.

London Taxis (Specifically, the TX1, TXII, and TX4) are made by The London Taxi Company (Formerly LTI) Vehicles. Not Nissan.

In February 1989 the Fairway was introduced. It was fitted with a 2,664 cc Nissan TD27 diesel engine. This made the FX4 a faster and more reliable cab. It had full wheelchair accessibility, in line with a new law that came into force in January 1989. The Fairway was the best version of the FX4 ever built,[peacock term] and enabled LTI to sell to overseas markets, as well as move into provincial UK markets they had not been able to tackle. Much of this increase in sales was due to local authorities insisting on wheelchair accessible cabs being used in their areas.

Just created a 26 page document to replace the 3 years out of date policy we used to be running off.

Annex A is a huge flow diagram that basically goes:

fit -> happy little soldier
not fit -> beasting ->fit
not fit -> beasting -> not fit -> further beasting -> fit
not fit -> beasting -> not fit -> further beasting -> out the army

injury -> fix it -> fit

Trotting off to the CO now to get it signed off.

Results of a happy shopping spree: Trustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Beyerdynamic MMX300, ASG scorpion evo. And it is said Oculus Rift will get the consumer version out soon! Happy elite: dangerous days ahead.

Come join us in Leesti, running rare goods to Epsilon Indi :D

Nice. That on your octy? I've always liked the aesthetics of two piece discs, as well as the stopping power.

Nissan have never made London Taxis.

London Taxis (Specifically, the TX1, TXII, and TX4) are made by The London Taxi Company (Formerly LTI) Vehicles. Not Nissan.

Yes.

The two piece disc is the perfect storm car mod.

Looks good.

Actually makes the car go (stop) better.

And

Weighs less.

Very rare that and it's usually the underneath bits that nobody sees that meet those criteria.

Yes.

The two piece disc is the perfect storm car mod.

Looks good.

Actually makes the car go (stop) better.

And

Weighs less.

Very rare that and it's usually the underneath bits that nobody sees that meet those criteria.

My corrodo is ending up like that - cosmetically it's tatty and tired, but when i'm finished it'll have brand spanking new running gear underneath (as much as possible, given is over 20 years old and parts are becoming obsolete) and some tasteful engine improvements once i've driven it for a few months stock :D

also, 'storm car'?

I like maps, drawn a couple myself.

Made one for my son for a treasure hunt, pirate themed. The wife thought I was mad as I was at the dining table with my crayons out!

You're never too old for crayons.

And on a related note, when a child hands you a play phone, no matter how old you are you have to answer it. It's like the law.

But yes. I like maps. Just found a nice plaque with a replica of thorin's map and key on it on ebay. My woman seems unconvinced that we need to spend 150 quid out of the house account on it.

Archived