Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Just watched The island with Bear Grylls. Now I know his stuff is questionable at best, but some of it is entertaining.

And more importantly it's reignited my desire to put together an expedition kit and head out into the wilds again as its been too long. Would be nice to do a week or two out in Norway with my stepdad in the summer.

Or maybe bring back what was meant to be mine and three friends graduatiom unwinding aka Expedition Norsome.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proper grenadine is godlike modern bar pink coloured sugar syrup is fail.

Is a sous vide really worth the money I have never really done anything with one and always saw them as a g8mick for former foodies with more.money than sense.

I do need a dehydrator though for jerky and boresilicatr glass I want a whole set for cooking and annother for making eliquid.

Is a sous vide really worth the money I have never really done anything with one and always saw them as a g8mick for former foodies with more.money than sense.

Very little you can do in one that you can't do with a decent slow cooker.

I love my slow cooker. I'm sticking a pork shoulder in mine tomorrow morning before I leave for airsoft, and I'll be coming home to BBQ pulled pork in a nice brioche roll.

A slow cooker lacks the precision of a sous vide.

Sure, you can get lovely tender meat but with a sous vide you can dial in rare, medium-rare, medium, medium-well and well and then sear it once it's out of the bag.

It depends on how much you rate perfect steak.

I can't do it with normal cooking apparatus.

The application of scientific process and techniques to cooking is cool.

All cooking is applied chemistry and steak is no different.

The different stages of steak are created by different cooking temperatures.

When a steak is rare on the inside there will be a temperature gradient through the meat meaning the closer to the surface you get the more cooked it gets.

The thicker a steak is the more of a problem it is.

Now, the temperatures that are required to produce a specific steak are known.  You set the sous vide to 56.5°C and then leave the vacuum packed meat in the hot water for up to 6 hours and you get a steak that is precisely medium-rare all the way through, even if it is 5cm thick.

You then take it out of the bag (which can contain marinade too) and then sear it with your preferred method (lumpwood charcoal with hickory smoking chips for example) and serve.

Delicious science.

We have local folks doing competition BBQ for all day yum.

Enough wood and a good smoker made from almost anything(stone preferred IMO) and have fun.

Them electronic smokers are OK if you have almost no space.

The best thing for steak is to measure its temp, don't cut into it till ready to eat!!!!

Rhino is a pretty awesome prop-maker nowadays.

Todays happy:

No horses dying in the grand national. I'm not against it, but at the same time it is a crying shame when an hoss has to be put down. Today it was a good race. Even if i didn't win the work sweepstake.

Rhino is a pretty awesome prop-maker nowadays.

Todays happy:

No horses dying in the grand national. I'm not against it, but at the same time it is a crying shame when an hoss has to be put down. Today it was a good race. Even if i didn't win the work sweepstake.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/grand-national-2015-seedling-dies-5499246

I got home from a skirmish which was awesome, to a slow cooker full of pulled pork... which was awesome.

Like, seriously awesome.

Slow cooker pulled pork is crazy good. We've done it a few times now and it's amazing. Chucked in a roll/bap/barm (barm for normal folk...!) and win :)

Is that the doodad from krull?

yup, the glaive from krull :D . taking a break from building ghostbusters stuff for a bit (well, the pack, walkie talkie, trap and ecto goggles are done and there's nothing else GB related left that i want) so decided to have a crack at building the glaive. prolly give it another week and i'll be able to get a resin copy molded and done ^_^

Archived