Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

This is still the happy thread, right? Star wars star wars star wars. Terminator terminator terminator. 2015 is looking good for me. Mad Max lived up to the trailers hype and I'm glad I watched the them (spoiler alert the good/anti hero guy wins), even if there was one or two spoilers in them.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why can't they just shoot someone in the leg instead of killing them?

Shooting to wound is probably against the Geneva Convention as it would be considered cruel and would have the Liberals screaming "Evil!" louder than they normally do. And shooting someone in the leg is still potentially lethal.

Its just funny as every soldier is trained to kill, its one of the basic principles of a soldier...

Had a lovely lunch with one of my old colleagues today, was good to catch up.

You're not trained to shoot to kill, you're trained to shoot centre mass because it is the biggest target.  The fact that it usually results in death is a happy coincidence.

Subtle but important distinction to make.

It's why we shoot everybody again up close whilst clearing a position, after we've shot the out of it on our approach, and after we've puts grenades in there. Because we recognise that shooting at people is vague at best, and you might not have actually killed them from a distance.

Darkchild

Shooting to wound is probably against the Geneva Convention as it would be considered cruel and would have the Liberals screaming "Evil!" louder than they normally do. And shooting someone in the leg is still potentially lethal.

Its just funny as every soldier is trained to kill, its one of the basic principles of a soldier...

No its not against the Geneva Convention. 

And yes war is evil. If you like it so much why don't you quit working in a pub and sign up for the Army?  

Apologies, I was being an *albartroth*!

My statement was meant in jest :P

I like it, it's why I'm signing up for the reserves after quitting being a contractor. Although unfortunately there is nobody to fight at the moment.

Darkchild

I'm pretty sure you could always find someone to fight!

No its not against the Geneva Convention.

And yes war is evil. If you like it so much why don't you quit working in a pub and sign up for the Army?

Fair enough, I thought shooting to wound would be considered an act of cruelty in conflict. At the very least its a stupid thing to do as they could still fight back.

I've never said I like or enjoy war, I've lost enough friends in combat AND when they've come home. Conflict is natural in the animal kingdom though, across many species. War is a necessary evil sometimes. I don't have to like something to realise sometimes it is needed.

I've considered signing up, and may well do when I sort my fitness out and if my ankle heals up, but not to go out there and kill people as that isn't what I want to do but rather to try and save them as a dog handler.

Yeah shooting someone and killing them isn't an act of cruelty.

Rum o'clock? I wish, stuck in till at least 8pm and then I might pop out. Ggggrrrrrrrrrr. Want some bbq ribs now (always seem to eat bbq ribs after a rum session).

Pfft needs a GMG (I sort of have a pipedream of building one that uses something like TAG projectiles...).

Also what made me happy is Head Marshall of my local site says he is working on a killhouse (I put a status up saying I wanted to build one). Will be interested to see if its set up at our site or somewhere else.

Archived