Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our Squadron won silver at the Army pistol shooting thing.  We got beaten by the medics, who always win because:

A) they're from NI so they can get on the ranges whenever they want, and pretty much all they do is shooting competitions.

So not bad for my first go.

Darkchild

Our Squadron won silver at the Army pistol shooting thing.  We got beaten by the medics, who always win because:

A) they're from NI so they can get on the ranges whenever they want, and pretty much all they do is shooting competitions.

Something I've always wondered about the military.  Say an individual wants to do more pistol/rifle practice beyond what is required for whatever qualification/annual competence checks (I assume they are a thing?) How easy is that to go about?  I take it there are only ranges on certain bases/locations so not as easy as the NI guys.  You couldn't just decide to blat off a few hundred rounds through a Sig every week or so if you want?

Something I've always wondered about the military.  Say an individual wants to do more pistol/rifle practice beyond what is required for whatever qualification/annual competence checks (I assume they are a thing?) How easy is that to go about?  I take it there are only ranges on certain bases/locations so not as easy as the NI guys.  You couldn't just decide to blat off a few hundred rounds through a Sig every week or so if you want?

Nope.

Nope.

Nooooooooope.

Now, I wasn't in NI and I was an Engineer but people just couldn't give a *fruitcage* about shooting.

I was in the regimental shooting team and on more than one occasion I went to the armoury to sign out my rifle to find that it had been:

Signed out by someone else.

Response: "you can't have a rifle and an LSW so I gave it to the new guy"

You know I am in the shooting team, LSW for my role in the section and rifle for comps.

Had the SUSAT removed by the armourer.

Response: "Engineers don't get SUSAT, you shouldn't have it"

You do if you're in the shooting team you plum.

Sights altered off of zero for no reason.

Response: "I didn't do it, chin up"

I've had range days cancelled because the regiment didn't have enough bullets.

I've seen guys only pass the APWT because a shooter in the next lane was told to fire across lanes at his target.

When you get posted you don't take your weapon with you, they just give you another.

It looks the same.  Stop whining.

DC will tell you about infantry but the Engineers were a joke.

None of that stuff that Stunt said happens in the infantry.  Shooting people is our primary concern so our weapon is ours and it rarely gets *fruitcage*ed with.

That being said, I'm now in a cavalry unit, and last month they took all our DD handguards and Elcan sights away from us because somebody else needed them lol.

In terms of practice for competitions, we had 2 range days to train for it, which is frankly ridiculous, as short barreled weapons are notorious for skill fade, you need to put thousands of rounds through a pistol before you become proficient in its use.

Eg, nowadays we use Glocks (which I do not like) whereas I did all my pistol shooting as a covert soldier in NI with a Sig (which I love).

It would take me months to get used to the Glock, and unlearn all my sig shooting habits, not the 2 days we actually had.

You can never get the range time you want.

The NI shooters on the other hand, live in Northern Ireland.  It would not be a stretch for any of the medics (who have all been professional pistol shots at some point) to buy their own guns and train whenever they damn well please.

This is why I said that Silver is not bad, considering we get about 2 days a year to fire the things, compared to the hundreds of hours these guys put in.

Darkchild

What made me smile? Didn't die yesterday!

Think I mentioned on here about my Achilles tendon rupture. Well, on the back of that I have had a huge pulmonary embolism, a clot blocking the main artery of the lungs. almost completely blocked one side and mostly blocked the other. Doc said it was impressive and was very clear it was life threatening. Have recovered v quickly with some kick *albatross* drugs (side effect-my brain could bleed!)

Nhs care has been brilliant. Owe them my life.....

Dentist never bothered me, suppose I'm lucky!

Obviously never had a real bad one. 

My old one was so much of a miser with the anaesthetic, it was almost like he was adding half of your allocated drugs to his "personal stash".

He also insisted on passing all the sharp nasty tools past your eyes instead of from below, which put you on edge before they'd even got to your mouth.

Obviously never had a real bad one.

My old one was so much of a miser with the anaesthetic, it was almost like he was adding half of your allocated drugs to his "personal stash".

He also insisted on passing all the sharp nasty tools past your eyes instead of from below, which put you on edge before they'd even got to your mouth.

Always had the good drugs. Never felt a thing. Tools don't bother me either!

Archived