Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dirty enclave scum! Fight for the future fight for hope join the New California Republic!

Ok is a machine with 4gb ram 500gb hard drive and a gtx8800 worth 100 quid? I know il need a new graphics card to play fallout 4 and I'm not 100% sure what the cup and psu are yet (will update soon as I know) but am wondering whether buying second hand is better than a full build so I can focus on quality single components one at a time.

The machine can run l4d2, Tf2 and CS:GO on high and has been built by a lan centre.

Well, you'll need double that RAM right off the bat.  The 8800 is a pretty old, weak card these days.  I had one a few years ago but it's old tech now.  You'd be on limited graphical settings if you used one with FA4.

New PSU installed, works, moved my hard drive into the lowest bay to fit my GPU into PCI-E1, GPU works (need to play with settings as screen resolution currently isn't right).

Next thing sto do with my PC is probably a new case (one with a hard drive bay casing that can be unscrewed and removed for easy access to drives), SSD for the OS (will have to find out how to migrate my OS as don't want to upset microsoft by them thinking I'm pirating an OS and a fan controller unit.

Then the real fun begins with new mobo, CPU, MOAR RAM, sound card and a newer graphics card. Thankfully my shares mature in March for the second round of upgrades...

New PSU installed, works, moved my hard drive into the lowest bay to fit my GPU into PCI-E1, GPU works (need to play with settings as screen resolution currently isn't right).

Next thing sto do with my PC is probably a new case (one with a hard drive bay casing that can be unscrewed and removed for easy access to drives), SSD for the OS (will have to find out how to migrate my OS as don't want to upset microsoft by them thinking I'm pirating an OS and a fan controller unit.

Then the real fun begins with new mobo, CPU, MOAR RAM, sound card and a newer graphics card. Thankfully my shares mature in March for the second round of upgrades...

I can't recommend the SilverStone Fortress FT-02 case enough.  It is utterly brilliant.

Ok is a machine with 4gb ram 500gb hard drive and a gtx8800 worth 100 quid? I know il need a new graphics card to play fallout 4 and I'm not 100% sure what the cup and psu are yet (will update soon as I know) but am wondering whether buying second hand is better than a full build so I can focus on quality single components one at a time.

No. It's outdated and not worth any reasonable money these days. Also, puzzlingly, you don't mention the CPU, which, judging from the rest of the config, is either a Pentium 4 or some ancient Core2Duo.

You will have a hard time running Fallout New Vegas on it, and I seriously doubt that Fallout 4 will even start.

Also, don't buy second-hand computers. Them being outdated is actually a best case scenario. Imagine the worst.

You really are better off buying the most recent tech, even if it's a budget option. Don't skimp on PSU since the whole system lives on it's power. A bad one can go with a bang and take your whole system with it. A good one merely can go bang. The only things that age fairly well are i7 cpu's and their motherboards. For rxample, a firt gen Core i7 920 can run with most recent budget cpu's. Mobo's just add more features. Value ram does excist ( corsair value for examplr) 8Gb is the minimum for recent games and you wonnt need more in a hurry.I have 16 and use 4 as a ram disk since my usage barely reaches 10.

I really should post this in the computer thread... Pm me for a free 275gtx. Its old, but will do ok on most but the demanding games.

You really are better off buying the most recent tech, even if it's a budget option. Don't skimp on PSU since the whole system lives on it's power.

Tell me about it, just spent £70 on a Corsair 750watt (which I know is loads of power) CX because modularity appealed to me. Annoyingly the CX are actually budget Corsair PSUs, apparently still better than a lot of things out there but Corsair do some real top notch ones. Maybe one day when I build my new rig (think I'm going to keep the one I have now and repurpose it into something, possibly a file/game server).

The annoying thing is saving, don't like doing it and I could technically buy my next rig piecemeal but then some of the components will be falling behind by the time I get round to buying all the parts.

And Stunt from the quick look I've had at that case on my phone it looks pretty sweet (will do some proper research when I get in). Expensive but sweet. Does it have a removable HDD caddy? Seen that it has a hot swappable bay which is quite cool.

Archived