Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard the first readback of my novel in audiobook form. It sounds weird, but good, to hear words that you have written being spoken by a professional voice actor.

Good times.

Darkchild

Can you please remind me of the title (s) of your book (s)?

I'll get to Amazon and line your pockets asap :)

Contractor parts 1 and 2 are my self published novellas, but the novel being recorded is a proper full length book, written for an indie video game developer.  When it's released it'll be called Brigador.

It's about mechs and civil war, it's a lot better than my older work (hopefully).

Darkchild

Same.

In a very odd way, buy positive way, I'm looking forward to play the game:- 'That Dragon Cancer'. If you haven't heard anything about it, it's about how a parent deals/copes with a child that has cancer (and althea child has it at such a young age).

Got my NAS server up an running.

I don't need most of the wires coming out of the PSU, I hate wires.

I chopped them, folded them, glued them and put heat shrink over the folded ends.
I then organised all the wires.

I removed the front panel including the power and reset buttons and the USB and headphone front break out panel.

I snipped all but one of the USB ports from the front break out panel and glued it inside the case.

I will be running unRAID from a memory stick in the (now internal) USB port.

I also redirected the power switch to the inside of the case, next to the OS USB stick.

All done now.

It will have 5 or 6 old 1 terabyte drives in it, 2 parity drives and 4 data with the broken old OCZ PCIe SSD acting at two separate 55gb cache drives.

It turns out it was the RAID controller that died but unRAID sees right through it and recognised the individual drives.

Magic.

Also, whose idea was flat SATA cables, I hate them, teh don't fold properly, they are a pain to route and they look like .

I have ordered 6 round profile ones to sort this mess out...

20160327_205932_zpsumkjucch.jpg

20160327_210928_zpszuswmrsn.jpg

20160327_220224_zpsujlehcjj.jpg

20160327_220154_zpsu3fb6ymu.jpg

I love doing it.

My Silverstone case really upsets me because although it is a great cas eht cable management is tricky because the bits aren't where they normally are so the cables are all teh wrong length.

When I get a new GPU in the summer I will water cool the case and make sure I square the cables away properly, get custom length braided stuff in a single colour.

One of the reasons I like the the M.2 drives is that they mount directly to the MoBo and there are no cables.

Part of the reason putting me off is the case design.  I have a pretty decent case, bunch of holes for cable management, grommets for water cooling pipes e.t.c. but I would have to attack it with a Dremel to route MB power cable as there is hardly a hole for it.  Most odd.

Like you, I might tackle it when new GPUs come out in the summer.  I'm putting off getting a 970 which is a bit of a struggle as I really want to play The Division on as high as possible settings and my current setup isn't cutting it.

Yeah, I am close to getting my PC master race-card revoked due to terrible GPU. Did you hear that Sony are going to do a PS4.5?

The last generation of consoles was *badger*s.

Throughout time the cutting edge consoles have been roughly equivalent to a PC that costs the same at the point of release with the advantage of a closed development ecosystem.

The PC then continues constant improvements over time while the consoles develop their next granular improvement.

That is why Xbox and Xbox360 were the targets of hackers trying to install Windows - you could get a competent PC for small money.

The lest generation was an order of magnitude worse on release and the gap grows daily.

Hopefully the drive towards VR will help close the gap, 30fps is no way to live.

Archived