Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you put my door in you're welcome to some chillis and whatever else I can get to grow.

I'm making a special trip for that. Free chillis for over-use of force always wins in my book!

Aquaponics is the future of farming.I had my greenhouse aquaponics set up going for over two years now. No need to get too technical but a DWC system is the way to go as it regulates temperature more consistently. Need to get my 1/4 acre allotment set up the same but it's finding the time :0(  

Loads of Andrino code and sensors out there in the public domain but I'm trying to keep my symbiotic systems as low tech as possible.   

Aquaponic systems can be as small as a plant pot so space or time is no excuse!

Some genius has invented a game from my very favourite book.

It looks maddeningly simple and elegant and strategic and AMAZING! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cheapassgames/tak-a-beautiful-game

And it's quite simple, piece wise - You don't even need a board to play.

It appears to play like some genius *bramston pickle* half breed of chess, othello, and connect 4.

I wants it.

Someone buy it for me, or I have a nasty feeling i'm going to end up making my own set. Now, I need a nice dark wood and a nice light, bright wood... Any suggestions?

Pine is nice, I agree.

Most softwoods are, given the right work and treatment.

I'm currently building a bookcase/dresser type thing. We wanted a big bugger for the office but prices were crazy for 'not ikea *suitcase*' proper wood things.

So I bought a load of old used scaffold boards and coach bolts, got busy with a sander and drill and it's becoming a very rustic type of piece :)

Edit, stunt, who has marine ply just lying around? That stuff ain't cheap!

Edit, stunt, who has marine ply just lying around? That stuff ain't cheap!

Yeah, we use it for shuttering at work.  We always have loads of off-cuts and full sheets, 25mm, 13mm, and I think 9mm.

Half of my house is made of it.

Pine is fine for basic stuff but if I build this set I want it to be heirloom quality.

At the moment I'm thinking African black wood and a nice ash...

Yeah, I told you, if you want nice wood, I have ply.

I also have a load of old pallets you could cut up...

I was going to suggest Iroko.  Very nice wood, I made something from years ago. The dust is particularly carcinogenic though I seem to recall so mask and ventilation definitely needed.

Maybe I'm just weird...

My computer desk (currently in my parents garage back in Norfolk as its SO FREAKING HUGE and I live in a tiny house now) is made from curly maple.

I know it's curly maple, because a friend of a friend back in Norfolk, around the time I was making it for my final GCSE project was going to clad his barn in it, as he's got a steam sawmill thingo that he takes to the village fetes and had some rough-sawn planks laying around seasoning.

I went "Can has that pls?" and he went "Yeah sure, it's a bit special for featherboard".

Then I spent about 60 hours with my dad and the woodwork teacher using all the tools that regular pupils aren't allowed to use because murderdeathkill, like the freakishly huge table saw, thicknesser/planer, chop saw, etc etc, then made some proper glue up, bonded the planks together (now all uniform thickness and length) and made a desk.

That desk will last longer than, likely, my entire lineage.

Archived