Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Stunt made me smile today by being goddam awesome!!!

Ok things I disliked about the Reacher film 1

The height meant that a key scene didn't work/had to be redone differently in the book he was arrested because he was the only known person in the city physically big enough to kill the girl with a punch

2. The shooting scene at the range was meant to be impressive and 5 rounds with comp standard grouping on the 500 or 800m range what we saw on screen was 3 shots at 1inch on the 100m range

3. That shootout where R and the marine made a big thing about trying not to kill with the shots

4. The location swap from firing down into the courtyard fountain preserving the bullet to popping a round through a slushie machine (that should have exited the back of that hut)

5. The lack of tension because of the condensed evidence finding (the quarters being found really early)

6. Reacher just wasn't intimidating and so the dialog for stuff like the bar fight didn't work for me

7. We didn't really see the 'Sherlock homeless' side of reacher with the clothes,the toothbrush and passport being all that he keeps day to day.

The films a great action/rogue investigator flick but it's a Reacher book. I just feel it means we can't really easily get films of the really interesting books in the future because of how it was done.

I'd like to see Personal or the line done (the sniper and assassination attempt in London) and the one with the hostage FBI agent) very easily because allot of the latter book relies on Reachers image as the hook to explain the way the book goes. similarly the Reacher of the film doesn't feel like he could pull off the 48 steps opening as he doesn't have the presence and bulk involved.

Cruise for me occasionally ruins a film because you don't see the character you see him. Valkyrie was like that for me he wasn't von staffenburg, the man the legend one of the last of the Prussian warriorpoet ideal, he was someone attempting to play him and that jars me

Also remember if it flies *fruitcage*s or floats it's cheaper to rent it

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paranoid there, giving a much better explanation of my own thought process than I did.

Everyone goes on about Cruise being short, but he's 5'7" - hardly a dwarf. He's certainly not tall, but on the short side of average maybe. Nothing unusual there, unless you're trying to play a character who is 6'5" of solid muscle and attitude...

Can I ask, what was one thing your instructor did that you liked, and one thing you didn't like?

/market research life.

Hmmm...

Liked: how he pointed out little things other drivers were doing that could impact/impede my journey, to give me a good idea of what habits I shouldn't fall into. He also once explained to me how to do a handbreak turn (I know thats 2 but this actually happened, and was hilarious).

Disliked: He was a wee bit racist.

The best thing my first driving instructor did was identify that as a young lad I liked to drive fast; so he made a deal - we'd start and end every lesson (once I was actually reasonable at physically operating the car) with a round trip on the 60mph limit road near my house so I could go fast safely and get it out of my system then spend the rest of the time working on low speed maneuvers like turns in the road, etc.

The worst thing was provably put me in for my test a bit too early - I didn't do very well that first time. Didn't help that the examiner took me the only route I'd not practised beforehand...

No problems.

I've not heard (or remembered hearing) the phrase Sherlock Homeless.

I like that.

I would Love to claim credit for it but it's part of the briefing notes General O'Day the shadowy spec ops/espionage officer gives on Reacher to the people working with him on the hunt to track down the sniper who took a shot at the French president in 'personal'

Ok driving instructors the travelling fast thing was something I liked pushing me to actually think about matching road speed etc

Secondly offering longer than one hour lessons was something that to me was really helpful, she split it into two with a break in between that was basically drive to the location, do the main task of lesson and drive for a coffee having that break meant it wasn't stress stress stress and it wasn't pressure because I knew I had time in the car rather than hour rush hour rush.

The fact she got me to drive to wherever we were going to do manoeuvrers and stuff helped because by the time we where at the car park or the street shed picked to do j turns etc I was already in the relaxed comfortable with the car mindset

The early lessons were generally done in places I knew well, like round my place or along routes I did allot, because I knew the roads I was much less panicked about where I was going/what junction is next etc plus I could look at hazards and stuff when on the bus or in the cab to and from school to get an idea of what to expect on that type of road.

The other thing would be offering different times for lessons meaning you get different experiences of traffic and likely road issues etc it meant I was less panicked because I faced stuff post test it not being my first time for the school run and stuff like that.

Other than that the best thing she did was tell me at the start that I'd reach. Point where I was relaxed and comfortable and knew what I was doing in a situation and that in the point if her guidance was distracting me that I needed to just tell her to shut up and not be stressed about that and second guess myself. That moment when I cracked it and got there was a real turning point in my confidence which helped

I did know her really well BEFORE her being my instructor though so it's a bit different coz you won't have that relationship already there

I had been driving for 6 years ( in fields and stuff ) before I got any lessons.

For that reason my instructor had a bit of a different challenge.

The worst bit:

The first hour where he explained how a clutch works and what all the bits of the car do was totally wasted on me despite me telling him that.

Given that I only had 6 lessons that is a major percentage of my money he just threw away.

He was too rigid and stuck with his lesson plan, even in an unusual situation.

The best bits:

Teaching me to anticipate bad driving in others and then showing me that I was doing the same things and how to avoid them.

He also drew all the local test routes on a map for me so I could ride them on my bike.  That helped.

Once you've got the basics down, the driving instructor's job is to teach you how to pass the driving test, not how to drive in Rome or around Paris boulevard peripherique.

There's a checklist of things examiners look for.  The job is to teach you to do all of those things properly and in a slightly exaggerated fashion, so that the examiner can see them.  Don't swivel your eyes to look in the rear view mirror, turn your head.  Etc. etc.

Archived