Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And some people who wear capes aren't heroes.

But I have a cape.

It is part of my Darth Vader onesie.

Today I am loving the Cat S60 mobile telephone.

Now, for bonkers reasons it is not available on contract anywhere in the UK.

Stupid.

It is not cheap.

However.  It is brilliant.  It has a lovely solid feel to it and the buttons have a very positive actuation.

I really think rugged is the way to go.

Phone companies these days have to make their phones as thin and light as possible with the highest resolution possible in order to "improve" it compared to the last generation.

If it isn't "improved" then nobody will buy it.

You try too hard to "improve" it and you end up removing the headphone jack and making it catch fire.

If you go for rugged, people will expect thickness so you have room to put in buttons that work properly and an effing huge battery.

People expect a bit heft so you can build it from stronger materials.

People don't expect a 6" 1440p screen so you can go with a 720p screen that saves battery.

Because you can make it a bit thicker you can put in a "seemingly" nuclear powered backlight that means you can read the screen from the moon.

You don't have to faff about making overly complicated custom versions of Android, you just use stock android and therefore your customers get the updates faster.

You can put physical, textured home, back and menu buttons on the phone - I didn't realise how much I missed those.

You don't have to worry too much about having the best camera in the world, however, you have the space to fit a proper thermal imaging camera in there.

Stick an SD card slot in there, why not?  Because you are on Android 6 it can be configured as extended internal storage.  Most other companies can't be bothered.  Chuck in a second SIM card slot while we're at it...

I love it.

It does have a couple of issues, considering how forward looking Cat are here I would like to see USB type C instead of Micro-B.  It also has the standard little doors held on by little rubber tabs over the ports which is fine but with a couple of additions could have been avoided.

The doors are over the USB port, headphone port (hello Apple, are you listening?) and a big, robust, hinged door over the SIM and SD card slots.

This phone has a plastic back and supports NFC so we know it doesn't block wireless charge like a (stupid) metal phone.

Here's what I'd do:

Fit a waterproof headphone socket, I know they exist.  Perhaps put a jack-shaped plastic blocker in there to keep dirt out but have it tethered properly and if it is lost you still have a waterproof phone.

Have built it QI wireless charge, that removes the primary reason you would ever want to open the USB port cover.

People can use WiFi direct to transfer files.

Obviously it will need a USB port still but what I would do it put it behind the SD/SIM card door and have it point directly out the back of the phone.

That's not an inconvenience if you hardly ever need to use it.

The ability to remove the battery would be good too but not a deal breaker.

Anyway, this is an awesome phone and the niggles are very minor indeed.

Recommended.

Suns always over the yard arm. We're on a hunk of rock orbiting said sun at MILLIONS OF MILES AN HOUR!

Also today I applied for a new job. It's likely to be around 3 or 4 months, possily 5 months before I qualify as a driving instructor and I don't want to be in my current job that long.

It's a 'warehouse operative' at a tesco distribution centre, and it's less money, but it'll literally decimate my commute, and the stress levels will drop like a *fruitcage* 40kg weight for a 4 mile deep shaft filled with vacuum.

Good on ya Tink.

I got through my information meeting and first interview bit, got "orientation" on the 27th, and we'll see how it goes from there.  If I get the temp work and can keep getting hours, $15/hour would be nice push towards something shiny.

V excited about red dead 2, but does bug me the way its announced a year in advance........thats become a "thing" with games now.   

Still, there are a loads of games coming up,  Ghost Recon Wildlands looks very good.  But then I quite like the division (with its flaws) and it just looks like a more spec op, open world version of that.  

Something else I liked today, stumbled across http://www.spectreminiatures.com/     They are soooo nice.   Takes me back to my late teens, playing rpgs and warhammer 40k (I was around for the first edition stuff ! ) Would have loved these then.  Quite tempted now :)

It's because they rely on preorders.

If no one preordered a game, I'm not convinced they'd actually release it.

Of course, when you preorder a game, sometimes you end up with a let-down like Battlefront turned out to be.

Better to wait and pick it up a few weeks later after they've patched most of the release-day bugs and there's reviews of *actual* gameplay to let you know whether it's worth buying.

Vw are apparently having some kind of stock cleanse at their main UK warehouse, selling off all their old and slow moving parts.

Managed to order both front steering knuckles and a headlamp switch and spoiler switch for a corrado at about a tenth of the cost.

Will be able to sell them at a decent profit. Huzzah!

Well, to be fair, most automotive manufacturers play with numbers.

Also, I invite everyone never to pre-order again and even ro wait for the game of the year edition :). Xcept for CDProjectRed ^^

Also, no open alpha nor beta's or greenlit games. Finish the games first.

The problems are the hyped up ( mostly younger) buyers who all want to become alpha tester anf expect a full playable game.

Time and time again I see this.

Most people played and finished the game before it's out of it's alpha game.

No rant, just friendly advice and a reason why :)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Just seen this email sent by my colleague and supposed cellar/beer champion to someone at head office:

"Customer unhappy that item on gluten free menu is only available at certain times as it's not clear" (it is but this isn't the funny thing) "Also the pints listed are very limited, with just Strongbow, Dark Fruits and Thatchers".

Yeah, that'll be because most beer contains gluten...

Archived