Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beauty and the Beast before Logan? Priorities man.

But B&B got me points with the missus which always ends well.. a happy wife is a happy life remember.

It means she won't be too fussed when I ditch her one evening to go see Logan & John Wick 2 on my own :) or she might even come with me now I have leverage :)

But B&B got me points with the missus which always ends well.. a happy wife is a happy life remember.

It means she won't be too fussed when I ditch her one evening to go see Logan & John Wick 2 on my own :) or she might even come with me now I have leverage :)

Ha.  True. 

I saw John Wick 2 last week.  I was able to go on a week day in the morning.  Great to have the cinema to my self heh,  I would check your viewings as it's finished at both of my local ones.

Reading police.

Arrest you for folding over the corner of the page.

Crimes against books.

No excuse for this deplorable practice. When you buy a book, you will get a receipt. At a push, this will become your bookmark.

Has kindle. With fancy leather cover.

Great stuff, only one drawback. I like the look of hardcover books on my shelf. And my shelf is missing 50+ fancy book covers because of my kindle.

My wallet doesn't have any problems with the kindle though...

Also, yes, it makes people think I'm well read and a man of the world, while I'm only a man of my own fantasy world. Let them think ^^

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I find most people who say that haven't used a kindle.

It's not like a tablet, at least the older ones aren't - the screen is matt and unlit, so it doesn't give you eye strain the way reading on a phone or tablet will.

The purpose of a book is to convey the content into your brain through your eyes, either for education or enjoyment (or both) - if the people who invented the printing press had been able to invent the kindle instead, no one would have been dissatisfied with it.

Personally, I don't know anyone who has given kindle a fair try and come away unhappy with it.

As for the shelf full of books - yes, that's an issue, but it's a lot harder to take the entire thing with you when you go on holiday or move house or whatever.

I got mine just before I went to Afghan, it's got 200+ books on it, and I've never looked back.

Proper ereaders are much better for reading than a tablet/phone.

I've got the kindle with the keyboard, bought it in 2011 as well as the case with the light in it. Battery lasts several weeks even after all this time (and I read quite a lot) because it only uses power to *change* the screen not to maintain it. It's plenty big enough to display a decent chunk of text at once and light enough to hold in one hand even with the case. Page forward/back buttons on both edges for right or left handed use. Built in 3G wireless data, free in most countries (amazon pay for it) although the web browser isn't great it does work. It literally could be the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

It was perfect, the newer ones only exist because of the nature of capitalism - have to keep bringing out new products and calling them improvements.

Amazon's customer service is spot on as well, my Kindle broke out in the sandbox (maybe it was just too dusty) and they sent me a replacement out to my BFPO address, for free. It was in my hand within a week and most of that was the delays caused by the military postal system.

Can't fault them.

I've not tried the latest ones, but if you can pick up a kindle 3 (keyboard) or 4 (no keyboard, not touchscreen) for a good price I think you won't be disappointed.

The kindle 4 has a better case - a much better fit and all-round protection. But no closure, which makes no sense.

The kindle 3's case at least had some elastic to hold the case closed, which I thought was a bit rubbish considering how much they charged for it, but to have *nothing* on the 4's case was just ridiculous.

The new ones have a magnetic closure which also turns "off" the screen (it's not off, just puts up an image instead of the page you were reading)

Kindle does make more sense and in a lot of cases cheaper (than buying a physical copy). Tried a Kindle and I didn't get on with it. Shame. Though I am a sucker for having a wonder in a book shop and trying to find something to read. In Liverpool, on bold street, there was (now moved to the liverpool one complex) a great place to go and have a look at new releases or just browse. Nice coffee shop to. Waterstones still exists but it's not as nice, as the old shop one on bold street (beng a chain and all). Same with second hand record shops, I can lose myself in those places.

Archived