Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

I've a kindle 4 (no keyboard, no touch screen) and had it for years now. Mrs tink has a kindle keyboard (original one) that's still going strong.

'real' books do have something extra, whether it's the physical act of turning pages or something else, but for ease of use and sheer convenience nothing comes close.

You should be able to pick a kindle 4 on eBay for about 30. If you read a lot its well worth it, and then download a programme called calibre to manage the books on it and side load things you've got from places other than Amazon.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good.

I've got 'Don't Panic' from Hitchhiker's Guide, some Star Wars themed 'pin up' style posters, couple of inspirational messages and some other stuff...

Here's the dropbox link to the Kindle screens folder, hopefully it should work for everyone.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kz42ia0ki7szi12/AAByQXW6dItk40P6WeP5aJ22a?dl=0

See also the following links for many, many, many more (not all checked by me, so no idea of the content)

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlescreensavers/

http://kindlepics.deviantart.com/gallery/ (At least one NSFW pic)

Some books still do.

It's all moot anyway, just buy a kindle.

Best money I ever spent.

Ah.

The Apple of ebooks.

I really hate being tied into their stupid ecosystem.

I recommend the Kobo Aura H2O.

No stupid buttons and it is water resistant enough to use in the bath.

I got taken to Berlin for a weekend by my girlfriend.

Took her to an army surplus store because I wanted some Strichtarn.

They didn't have anything in my size. She walked away with a nearly complete set of uniform, webbing and gear. :C

So naturally I am getting stuff in my size from the UK instead so we can both do NVA stuff.

Ah.

The Apple of ebooks.

I really hate being tied into their stupid ecosystem.

I recommend the Kobo Aura H2O.

No stupid buttons and it is water resistant enough to use in the bath.

Tied into what?

Most of the books on mine, I didn't buy from Amazon.

The kindle will display most formats, and calibre will convert from any others into mobi (non-drm kindle format).

I've heard good things about the Kobo though.

Shame. I'll up mine in a minute.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cgbbyggn4zygp08/AAAtWk3NyEjkJluRYvAy0ji_a?dl=0

Aaand doneded.

New case for my HTPC has arrived. Nice little old antec jobby. Sadly no usb3 but I got it for a song so can't complain. Also bought a newer/better AMD APU bundle for it as well to 1: make it faster and 2: output at 4k natively.

Is gonna be nice.

Found a Vanilla cream liqueur almost identical to one me and my mother both loved before the distillery went bust, so a bottle of that has been purchased for her birthday.

Also, scored a discount code for a florist. Mothers day done too.

I'm off with buying mum flowers, spending a fortune and seeing them die about 48 seconds later.

An old copper water cylinder, 5mm copper wire, tin snips and a pin hammer, and she is getting a bunch of roses that will last forever this year!

Mum likes lilies, so mum gets lilies.

There are many reasons I'm her favourite. This is one of them.

My mum is the same.. although I already got her the lilies and gave them to her. She loves me even more because im saving my pennies buying them before the price hike.

I play the game of mum way better than my sister.. for my Dad though, she's way ahead. My Dad and I are of the opinion that we show as little affection as possible and we graduate to being 10x more manly. So really im still winning there too.

I don't recommend a Taste Card, they keep billing you after you cancel. Took me a long argument with the bank to get that sorted.

The wife and I get free gourmet society cards with our Club Lloyds bank account, so far we've not found anywhere that accepts them - oh, apart from the Beefeater near the hospital we went to once.

If you live in London, they're better value - most of the restaurants on both schemes seem to be there. Further north you go, the less you'll find...

Archived