Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drive it back, it's a 2.5 litre petrol.

18 litres per 100km over a 2000km trip is only 360 litres, first tank and three jerry cans in Lithuania at 80c a litre is 135 litres for about 100 euro/87 quid.

The rest of the fills in Poland and Germany would be about a quid a litre.

Should get back for less than £500 in fuel.

Two flights out there will be about £500.

5 nights in hotels about another £500.

Food on the road about another £500.

If I drag it out over a week it will be a nice holiday for the two of us.  Just looking at Google maps and picking out places I am interested in:

Warsaw, Frankfurt, Wolfsburg, Hameln, Paderborn, Arnem, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Calais.

I have also emailed a guy on eBay about another one.

Things are looking great.

We don't know exactly.

It is my mate's car and he can't decide whether to strip, rotisserie, media blast, seam weld and respray it too so it'll be a while before anything happens.

Plus he is skint until he pays his mum back the money for the Integra Type-R.

Happy to help whenever it happens man!

I will be having the engine out of the mini to get to the gearbox and change the final drive. So im at the same situation, do I do all the restoration work at the same time to keep it easy? Would make sense in my opinion but it's time off the road and money that makes me wonder. Not much work to do realistically but I'd like to clean the body work up a little, deseam it, sort the inner wings out, clean the engine bay up, full respray inc inside and then sort the interior. But.. I have no garage to do the work and little to no money spare to put towards it!

Two post lifts are awesome and can be had for a decent price but you need to worry about height more than anything, realistically for a car an engine change can be done with a set of good height axle stands and a trolley jack and an engine crane. Especially FWD.

As for helping out we will see when it comes to it, realistically it'll probably be a year or so till I go full resto on it and the fingers crossed I should have a garage and a decent set up but I will never turn down help! Either way, I love a bit of tinkering so I'll gladly help you out for sure!

You can get mini 'lifts' which just slide underneath and act like a scissor lift, one ones that have it as a pivot so the front or rear of the car is raised a significant amount. On something smallish like an old civic its worth looking into.

The garage has 3 phase and the ceilings are about 12 feet.

Makes sense to get a 2 post, that way we can store a car in the air without losing floor space.

Also, look at this:

https://www.dorotheum.com/en/auctions/current-auctions/kataloge/list-lots-detail/lotID/15/lot/2251456-lkw-steyr-daimler-puch-pinzgauer-712kfm-6-x-6-3-achsig.html

A 712K, the perfect Pinzgauer.  Up for auction in Austria on the 9th.

It'll probably go for 14,000 euros + 22% auction fees 17,080 in pounds is about 15,300.

Twice what I can afford and it is in Austria.

Ah well, she is a beauty.

On Thursday night we had to turn our mains water off at the pub as we were under the impression it was leaking through a wall in our cellar and causing potential structural integrity issues. The pipes in our pub have a history of leaks and damp walls.

This meant we were unable to open the pub when planned on Friday and I was the 4AM duty manager, I've had to deal with the floods before and have intimate building knowledge.

Basically spent the next 15 hours running the show, calling the contractors out, appraising all the relevant people in my own company every time.I had an update, adjusting forecasts, pushing people's start times back and calling shifts off. Stuff the new Deputy Manager who was onsite should be doing with me advising due to my knowledge (the Pub Manager does the 6pm-4am shifts on weekends and he faith in me sorting stuff) but she blew it off with "Lol I'm blonde and have no idea." So she cleaned some mirrors (rather than the list of take the PM left).

My Kitchen Manager didn't take kindly to that and apparently sung my praises to the PM as did my Area Manager who was impressed with my response to the situation as it developed. My "get stuff done" day has been moved next week so that my Ops Manager can put a face to the name.

Its nice when people know your name for the right reasons.

If I drag it out over a week it will be a nice holiday for the two of us.  Just looking at Google maps and picking out places I am interested in:

Warsaw, Frankfurt, Wolfsburg, Hameln, Paderborn, Arnem, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Calais.

If you gimme a heads-up, I'll see if I can meet up.

To Xaccers:

Sounds like outright theft to me?!

Absolutely, but as Scorch said, Alan was a real character!

@Xaccers - have you looked at the Renault Zoe? More range (and better residual performance) than the Leaf. However, there's a new Leaf coming soon that has improved range and is much better looking and nicer to drive, so there will probably be some sharp deals to be done on the current car...

It looks too blobby for me, and it's a supermini so quite a bit smaller than the Leaf (the Leaf is only a foot or two shorter than my Laguna estate). The cabin is really cramped with little room in the rear for the in-laws on a long journey.

The Zoe's now got the 41kWa battery which the Leaf is getting similar on the next release, but with the Zoe you pay extra for rapid charge and it isn't that rapid with it taking just over an hour to reach 80%, and up to 8.5 hours to charge overnight.

Charging at motorway services would take 2 rounds of charging, as Ecotricity charge £3 for 45 minutes charging plus 17p/kW.

The regenerative braking isn't as good either, and the standard speakers are reportedly naff.

I'm not sure if the Zoe has the pre-warm function that the Leaf has, where on a chilly day you can get the car warming the cabin up and clearing the windows before you head out to disconnect the charger.

No idea on the finance deals of the Zoe at the moment as in true Renault style, that part of their website is broken.

With zero deposit I can get a 24kWh Acenta for £215 a month (£186pm with a £1000 deposit). For £232 a month with a £1000 deposit, I can get a 24kWh 6.6kW charge Tekna, which to be honest is probably the one I'll go for as I only need 50 miles range.

So even though the Zoe has more range, it's not a car I'd say is designed for long distances. It's more of a short commute vehicle, which combined with the range means you won't use much of the battery each day so topping it up will be possible over an Economy 7 period each night, rather than leaving it to run down to 15% and then try and overnight charge.

Tesla's get over the long charge times for high capacity batteries by having a much faster supercharge rate which can give you 175 miles in 30 minutes, and you get 400kW free (about 1000 miles) via supercharging.

Finished writing my wedding speech. Now I've just got to practice and make sure I don't *fruitcage* it up. Sheesh...

Good luck!

With mine, I put notes in it too, like 'pause here', 'take a breath' and 'look at your audience' etc, as even with practice I would just be head down and charging my way through it, and that never looks good.

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :)

When public speaking it is important to try to remain calm.

I like to imagine myself naked.  Wait.

Not that.

When you are practising make sure you read it out aloud, practising in your head is worth than useless.

Do it standing up using any props you need.

Walk around (if you will be able to at the speech) and look up, speak to the back of the room.

Get a feel for the words, get used to the way they flow.  Edit for flow.

Also, stand by for developments tomorrow.

Yeah.  Reading out loud is what you need.  Multiple times.

Have a beer/whatever drink handy.  '1 second' and have a sip.  Pick a handful of standout points in the room and randomly cycle looking at them .

Thanks for the advice guys. Never been one for public speaking but it's getting easier to remember the more I practice! Right now I'm saying it through on the way to work and whenever I get a chance to really. I'm sure it'll be fine, just daunting to think of it right now! 

This might be useless advice to you, and isn't really related to the speech - but make sure you and your Groomsparty have something to do before the ceremony starts.

The Bridal party have tonnes to do, starting to get together and get ready from breakfast for a wedding starting at 1500 hours, but we men don't take that long to get dressed so find ourselves at a loose end - or at least that's my experience.

Hopefully, you'll have a great Best Man who will take care of it, but find out what's going on and adjust it accordingly if you're not happy. As the Groom, it's your day too, and you deserve just as good an experience as the Bride does.

Archived