Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

I'm seriously considering not getting flooring when we buy our new build next year.

Light fixtures and fittings will stay the same for the most part, pretty much the only thing I'm planning on changing is actual decorating (painting walls and chosing curtains / blinds etc)

I imagine its different with a not-new build though.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did the Ikea thing. My strategy is to find everything that I need online. Their web page has a wishlist function, so I make one of those then print it out and sort it by what department I need to go through and in what order. Leave the pregnant wife at home and enlist help from a friend who is extremely focused and doesn't get phased. Go on a regular week day, stay hydrated and mobile and never buy stuff that's not on the list, cause that's how they get you! 

Basically plan it like an assault where the enemy is foolishly sounding Swedish furniture and trinkets.  

Four years ago we managed to buy a whole kitchen and get it packed in to a car in 45 min. 

I feel for you scorch! Only good thing about my recent battle with Ikea was their new wireless control system for light bulbs. It lets you control the light remotely. Meaning I don't need to get out of bed to turn of or adjust the light.

Wrong one? I meant last one.

And no. It won't be. *fruitcage*.

Just think, if you had a Nissan Leaf, you could take advantage of the chargers there.

"Sorry love, I'd best stay with the car while it charges, wouldn't want to hog the space when it finishes and stop someone else being able to charge now would we?"

That'd get you at least 30 minutes

Nope, not going.

Supposedly delicious, yet ambiguous food, combined with a journey of 2 hours each way driving, and furniture made from sawdust bonded with liquid *suitcase* does not a day trip make.

My wife had a good lot of ikea furniture when we got together. It's poorly made and doesn't stand the test of time. As in 6 months or so. And if you disassemble it, you're *fruitcage*ed. It's temporary, single-use items, and I'd rather have second-hand well made stuff.

Personal opinion of course, and my house is more suited to older tat than modern items. Forgive me if I came across as rude, I do not mean to :)

To be fair, it does depend what you buy. They do have some higher spec ranges in Ikea. I've had my bedside table for about 10 years, and it's still going strong despite me literally standing on it when I was painting a ceiling.

Would I rather have solid wood furniture? Of course. But that doesn't mean it's all junk.

Just stay away from the Hurdal. Anything is an improvement over the Hurdal. ;)

Apologies, I don't know names.

What I've seen though... *adopts 1000 yard stare* I've seen some things, man.

The quality I've seen is *fruitcage* horrendous. Maybe I've not been enlightened to the good stuff as I've never been. But what I saw was bad :(

I found two Malm variants to be rock solid - disassembled to move house etc, used them for years.

Bed frame, tiny square table, both terrible pieces of *suitcase*

These are incredible: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/sofas-armchairs/armchairs/po%C3%A4ng-armchair-birch-veneer-hillared-dark-blue-spr-09197808/

I found two Malm variants to be rock solid - disassembled to move house etc, used them for years.

Bed frame, tiny square table, both terrible pieces of *suitcase*

These are incredible: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/sofas-armchairs/armchairs/po%C3%A4ng-armchair-birch-veneer-hillared-dark-blue-spr-09197808/

Malm are indeed awesome. That's what my bedside unit is, the name escaped me.

And yes, those chairs are ace. Got one of those too.

Archived