Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

My Royal British Legion mourning tie came in today, it's quite beautiful with a bunch of discreet poppies until one at the bottom in red.

Not looking forward to trying to stop a pub at 11AM on a Saturday (someone always seems to ruin the silence) but I'm not in until the evening on Sunday so will be attending a proper service.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mourning tie is very stylish - I've had one for a while.

Are you a Legion member?

I'm not currently, rather embarassingly I used to believe membership was only for service/ex service personnel. Definitely going to look into it though.

So many misconceptions about the Legion - but it's their own fault for not giving out any information.

I was amazed to actually see an RBL advert on the TV the other day - which was great but contained no actual information about what the Legion actually *does* with the money raised, etc.

Still, it's a start.

(Also, members get a discount on Poppy Shop orders!)

We, the membership, have been raising it for years. The HQ pukes just ignore us, preferring to hire "professional charity workers" who neither know nor care about the work the organisation actually does and only want another footnote on their CV so they can move on to a better job with another charity in a few years.

Bought a big poppy for the front of the Pinz today.

I saw one in Medway services.  It is literally the first time I have ever seen one for sale, you might be right about the PR thing.

I have a beautiful enamel poppy with my Corps badge on it for day-to day wear.

There are now three sizes of vehicle poppy plus the huge ones for trucks that you can only get by going directly to the RBL.

The biggest ones are quite rare, most branches only have the regular car ones and the next ones up for 4x4s and vans.

There's also at least two sizes of magnets.

I just wish they'd make more of the metal lapel pins. The guy outside Asda said they ordered extra but they all went on the first day

Where are you? My local branch has plenty.

It's not down to more being made, it's down to branch PAOs (Poppy Appeal Organisers) not ordering enough early enough.

If they leave it until September or October, then there's not enough time to get sufficient stock.

I never looked online.  I have the 4x4/Van sized one.

I hope it is UV stable and keeps it's colour.

Anyway.

Another dump of GTA 5 videos.

The biggest selling game in the USA of all time, took 6 years to make.

Still broken:

Tink again:

This nearly went bad:

Tink is a seriously good shot though:

This though, this is my favourite.

In this clip you have to watch the chat overlay in the middle right of the page.

Somehow MrBossFTW (the colossal Youtube asshat) ended up in our session.

Tink burned him so bad, anyone near his computer will need skin grafts.

I never looked online.  I have the 4x4/Van sized one.

I hope it is UV stable and keeps it's colour.

It's not.

Unless they changed them in since last year.

I had one of the van size ones on my gate - bleached white over the year. Cut it off and threw it away last month.

Same happened to the smaller one on my car - I was blaming the car wash until I noticed the gate one do the same, albeit a bit slower. Car now has a new one. I'm looking into getting a metal/enamel poppy badge for the car, but the only places I can find selling them are 1) quite pricey and 2) give little or nothing to the Poppy Appeal from the sales.

For the first time in six years of working days on Armistice Day and Rembrance Sunday we weren't interrupted during the silence yesterday. I thought we were going to be due to some dude watching a video on his phone at less than 60 seconds before the hour but he shut it off before the bell started chiming (I turn the sound up on BBC news to aid with coordination).

Couple of people walked through the door but as soon as they saw everyone silent and standing they stopped.

On a less positive note there seems to be a lack of knowledge regarding Armistice and Remembrance Sunday, a bunch of my colleagues were confused that there are two days of official remembrance, poppies and actually what they represent. So I took a few moments out of my day to educate them.

Someone called me out on my lack of poppy to which I got to reply that my tie was covered in them (the paper poppies and lapel pin ones always fall off in my line of work). And to the asshats that run the fake Wetherspoon Twitter saying poppies are not being worn in their pubs, do one.

Well done, Tw1tch.

If you're losing lapel pins, get some locking retainers. The butterfly backs are rubbish, I'm always losing them. I found these things on eBay that secure with a little grub screw. Once it's done up, it's never coming off.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253246923594

Just one example, there are other sellers which may be cheaper - especially if you don't mind waiting for them to cone from China.

Finished my latest project gun.

After a massive derailment it had to take a different course, but I think I prefer it this way.

And also, after my silencer modifications it's damn near the quietest gun I've ever heard. It's on par with a Mk23, except it's at nearly 500fps.

Very happy bunny, just a shame I'm at taking pictures to do it justice.

Any picture is better than no picture. Natural light and take the picture at an angle (make sure you don't block the light). Have the bottom left of the frame at the bottom of the gun, with the barrel pointing towards the top right of the frame.

And that's my mansplaining of the day.

I look at the likes of Stickman and just copy how they do photos heh.

For hosting, I use Imgur.  Going by their T&Cs, they could pull a Photobucket but they are so heavily invested in social media e.t.c. I can't really see that happening.

Archived