Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the Hitman you are referring to is not the abomination with Timothy Oliphant in it?

Yeah, the Tomb Raider film was OK.

He is right though, there hasn't been a Shawshank or Empire based on a 'puter game up to now.

The reason is pretty obvious, computer games tell a story in a different way, they give you control and tend to have no character development since you are the character and they can't force you to develop.

Silent protagonists are a problem, designed so you can imprint on the character, makes it hard to transfer to a film.

I suppose we would be better served thinking of a game that is capable of becoming a good film.  Strong plot, film friendly narrative structure.

Something like Half Life, Portal 1, Bioshock or especially Grim Fandango.

What a game.

I hope the Hitman you are referring to is not the abomination with Timothy Oliphant in it?

Yep, it was better than I expected it to be. On an entertainment level, not an adaptation. The one with Rupert Friend was unwatchable compared to that. Frankly, if I wanted to watch a high brow action movie, I'd watch Heat or Thief (1981) and skip almost anything made past 2003. Only two exception have broken my 2003 rule: No Country for Old Men and Winter's Bone.

Edit: John Wick 1 and 2, as good as they are, I don't think it will be as memorable in the future.

Tomb Raider (the first one, not the second) wasn't bad. Hitman (2007, Director's cut) is actually a decent Bourne rip off

No Director's Cut for Hitman exists, because the director was fired before the film was even released. And if they stuck to the script, the film would make much more sense (for example: in the script, 47 is chased by the Spetsnaz, there's a great action scene on the train in the beginning of the third act instead of that moronic swordfight earlier, and the FSB guy is behind everything).

Same goes for Babylon AD. Director fired, film butchered with reshoots, outcome makes no sense. That's what you get from the company too busy sucking Koch. Or two Kochs actually.

Archived