Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seasons greetings to you all.

I've got to love the way my Mrs doesn't think before speaking. A part of my christmas present was a rocket powered by vinegar and baking powder which turned out to be pink and while tidying up she turned round and said "where do you want to put your pink rocket?" I thought I was in luck

So, as it turns out, using hot air to desolder things is very very effective...

So effective it will desolder the EEPROM chip from the BGA pads on the OTHER SIDE of the micro controller board you're actually trying to desolder...

And the resistor...

And the USB socket...

AND the other resistor!

82f0cd4eaccbb971d663d0e56e6eb690.jpg

Marion Odyssey is (according to my wife) the game of my year.

I will be buying myself some Felo wooden handled screwdrivers with hammer through shafts and nuts on the shaft for spanner assistance.

Awesome screwdrivers. I love vouchers.

Wera do some which sound similar. I have sets and they have lasted for years being abused.

I love Wera tools, all my torx drivers and loose 1/4 inch hex bits are Wera.  Plus I have a Zyklop 1/4 inch ratchet and a Wera 1/4 inch torque wrench.

I way replace my Britool 1/2 inch ratchet with Wera since it is gettting a bit sloppy.

The only problem with the Wera tools is that the hex on the handle for spanners is plastic and they are all different sizes depending on the driver size which is inconvenient.

The common Wera ones aren't strike through either.

Wood is the best handle materiel, although I will have to sand the varnish off.

My mate Chewie put a spanner on one of my Wera torx drivers and mangled the out of the hex.

Then didn't tell me.

Then didn't apologise.

We have a deal where he supplies our garage space and I supply the tools, I might have to remind him that my side of the deal is more expensive and has more potential for heartbreak.

If I go in my tool chest for a ratchet again and find it covered in dirt and grease I will be putting it away in his actual chest.

New helmet setup for indoor/CQB. Black fast helmet with Black Multicam cover & face guard.

I've got a black MC ubacs & crye-style trousers (with the built-in knee pads) to go with it.

Will use black assault vest or chest rig for load carrying, depending on the weapons.

Thought it would be a bit different.

I'm not too thrilled with how the mask works with my glasses though, might have to go with my V12 goggles instead. Down side is they fog up a bit more than the glasses, even when 'open'.

Looking forward to getting back into proper airsoft in the New Year - been chairsofting for FAR too long...

e192ab9aabfd6973b5c60e8276e1e461.jpg75519f12a65452e7fc52732ddafab8f5.jpg

If I go in my tool chest for a ratchet again and find it covered in dirt and grease I will be putting it away in his actual chest.

I lent someone a set of cobalt M42 drill bits because he was complaining that his standard HSS bits weren't working for his bathroom install stuff.

Got them back and he thanked me, told me that he was really impressed at how well they went through steel etc.

Then he mentioned that the tiles were a lot harder to drill than he expected. Mention was made of 'the drill bits were glowing white hot!'

You don't use cobalt on ceramics. Drilling ceramics requires diamond bits because the heat build up will kill anything else, even 8% cobalt alloy steel. Checked the bits and the 7mm was ultra-*fruitcage*ed.

I can believe him when he said it was glowing white hot because the cutting faces have melted.

He wasn't particularly happy when I asked him to pay £10 for a replacement because "£10 for a single drill bit is a bit much!"

And the crazy thing is that if I had punched him in the face, I would have been the one getting arrested.

Car needs new brake pads (wifes car, I went as I needed a quote for my dad's Citroën Picasso), mechanic recognises me as the bloke who stood up for his son (in a pub). Free brake pads.

Sometimes it pays (in a round about way) to be decent.

Also, got a refund on an eBay item that was damaged in transit. Seller was very understanding and thanked me for the pictures.

I've got a feeling Friday might be different. . .

Managed to score a set of key caps for my pair of the minidox keyboards I'm building for me and Ginge for free (man maths) using that code.

Also, thanks to ginge, have a new electronics project to keep me occupied over the next few months.

How on earth to get this mess of PCB separated into keyboard and track point sections, so I can throw away the orrible mushy filth of the rubber dome and replace with beautiful beautiful clicky mechanical switches...

7fa390d8984117db30fcab856a484c65.jpg

Not the worst rubber domes though.  Nowhere near as good as mechanical switches but good compared to other domes.

I can believe him when he said it was glowing white hot because the cutting faces have melted.

He wasn't particularly happy when I asked him to pay £10 for a replacement because "£10 for a single drill bit is a bit much!"

And the crazy thing is that if I had punched him in the face, I would have been the one getting arrested.

Yuck.

I hate seeing people mistreat tools.

I have the spade shaped ceramic drill bits in 6, 8 and 10 mm, lent them to my father-in-law and he mangled the 6mm drilling through tiles, gypsum board, brick and (apparently) concrete.

I've seen Chewie use a flat blade screwdriver as a chisel and an o-ring pick.

Passed him an o-ring pick, he said "what's this?".

Seen a fitter use a hammer to undo a 55mm nut because he didn't have the right size spanner.

Seen a drill rig operator use a cold chisel and a hammer to undo the oil fill plug on a compressor.  It had no corners left when he was done, looked like a doughnut.

The worst thing was that it was a brass nut with a copper washer in a steel bore.

It was electrolytic corrosion, all he had to do was strike the nut, hard, once, square on, with a hammer and just undo it.

Same guy starts his rig by shorting the starter with a paint scraper.  Needs a start solenoid, has not reported it to the fitter.  For two years. Bought a specific paint scraper.

Seen a guy get so desperate to remove a wheel nut that he put a breaker bar on it, braced it against the ground and tried to drive away.

Breaker bar ripped the wing mirror off and went into orbit.

He had been tightening it.

Brilliant!

EDIT

Heard back from our mortgage advisors.

We can get the house with the external garage...

But its not in as nice a location as the internal garage one. (more neighbours, overlooking road and other people's gardens, whereas the internal garage is on the back stretch and overlooks the land out the back of the site, which has a river running through it so definitely no further development).

Conundrum time...

Archived