Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair these mortgage advisers have been brilliant. They're independant (throw your hands up at me) and don't charge any fees to me the client, because they're that recommended they earn all their money from the mortgage providers, somehow.

Our guy yesterday came to us at 1900 after spending a day doing 4 other initial and remortgage meetings, and that's apparently an average day for them.

Very happy.

Ours got their fees from the lender too, so we paid nothing for the service.

We didn't have a home visit, but he did keep the office open until 8 for us to get in after work.

A good mortgage advisor is worth their weight in gold IMO. It's too complicated a market to navigate alone.

Ours was a twat. Had a fixed fee, but once we had completed he decided that the fee was now a percentage of the mortgage.

He did not get a percentage. He was lucky he got anything at all the way he tried to bully my wife and not speak to me.

Ours seems alright he’s got a fee but it’s pretty reasonable in my eyes. So far he has been fantastic very helpful and even advised us on a couple of other things unrelated to this sale.

Looks like we are ready to exchange contracts too which will be awesome! The list of little maintenance bits and bobs for the cars is getting pretty long now!

Ours went and picked the Mrs up from work and brought her to my work so we could have a meeting over my lunch, then went and dropped her back at work.

Easiest part of the process.

Having to defeat the bank's champion in hand-to-hand combat to actually get the cheque was tricky.

Having to defeat the bank's champion in hand-to-hand combat to actually get the cheque was tricky.

I found our bank to be fine. The sellers, however, were less than prompt with everything and we ended up paying a months rent on the old house because of it.

There’s a Corrado VR6 for sale down my road.. went to have a snoop this morning before work, 82k and looks pretty bloody pukka runs lovely! The bloke wants £2800 for it. I really want to sell my Fiesta and buy it as an impulse daily driver but im not sure my wife would approve!

It's not stunts britain yet, you're not a number, you're a free man!

EDIT:

In all seriousness, 2800 for a low mileage (which that definitely is!) VR6 is suspiciously cheap.

The guy either doesn't know what he has (unlikely) or it needs some work. The VR6 engines have a problem sometimes with chain rattle, which needs timing chain replacement with tensioners and all sorts of gubbins, and because of how it's all packed in, it requires taking the engine and gearbox out. 

Most owners chose to change the clutch and flywheel at the same time due to labour costs, however if it's genuine mileage you might get away without. Average prices are around £2k for someone good to do it. 

Check for rust everywhere. Front wings, battery tray, all around the windscreen and A pillars.

VR6's are all later models and so, as far as I'm aware, all have ABS. Make sure it works because you can't get spare parts for them.

Spoiler should go up automatically at around 45/55mph (can't remember the year it changed) and down again at around 10 or 5mph.

Check all the doors lock and unlock on the central locking (including the fuel flap). 

Have a look underneath at the rear axle bushes - they're not overly expensive but they're a right ball ache to change. If they look half decent you'll be alright.

most bodywork panels are available if you're willing to spend the premium to get them from VW Classic parts. Wings are about 400 euros each. VW Heritage stocks a lot of stuff, and some other people make upgraded versions of weaker parts - I've no idea what it is but there's some kind of coolant pipe that is affectionately known as 'the VR6 crack pipe' because it cracks and then leaks - various people make aluminium ones to replace the stock plastic one.

I can get you cheap(er) parts for it.

It's still regarded as one of the best handling cars VW has ever made.

You can make them silly power for fairly cheap.

The value appears at the moment to be on the up and up.

Unfortunately it won’t be happening as much as I might love it to. Already got a fast mini that needs work I don’t need another car/project! Need to be sensible and the trusty Fiesta seems bulletproof and is just eating up the miles!

I had a pretty decent look over it though, has a few rust spots here and there but nothing major that I could see without having it up on a jack.

You’re right though suspiciously cheap. It seemed to run pretty smoothly no rattles or anything too serious but you never know.

It’s nice to live in dream world mind.. I would make it so awesome!

So it turns out cat6 cable is pretty cheap when you buy it 100m at a time...

Hopefully I'll be able to get the sparkies to run some when they do the normal electrics on my use and I'll have cat6 gigabit network everywhere....

That'd be nice.

/me furiously googles home network set up stuff

What?

Like I have in my house?

If you really want pain look at the 10 gig POEi WAPs running a mesh network from a 10 gig switch hard wired to your main gaming PC and NAS.

I want it soooooooo much.

Also, I have a huge bag of ethernet connectors and the appropriate crimping tool available.

Just back from the first bike ride I've been on in years.

New groupset is amazing, silent, efficient, flawless.

I am none of those things.

This is the bottom of a huge flight of stairs that never ends.

Also, I was having a ###### time at a party last night and then my wife>foster sister>actual sister>boyfriend turns up.

Never met the guy.

He owns a comic shop.

We chat about B5, Star Wars, Trek, Firefly, Deadpool, comics and Kevin Smith for hours.  We may never meet again but that was a fun interlude.

Also, turns out my best mate is playing my favourite computer game.  I get to experience the teeth shattering frustration, sorrow and joy again for the first time - vicariously.

Archived