Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

So I got my Vivoactive 3 and so far its a massive improvement on my Vivoactive HR. It actually looks like a watch, the screen is so much better for notifications, I'm looking forward to my bank hopefully accepting Garmin Pay, I can't wait to see the stress stats haha.

Also Holland and Barrett are selling the Grenade Carb Killa bar selection packs left over from Christmas for £7.49 for a box of six. Might need to pick some more up...

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, sure.

Experienced in stone age tools, more like! ;)

I'm a dab hand at hitting people with sticks, and have a beard, so you may be correct... :P

So I got my

Also Holland and Barrett are selling the Grenade Carb Killa bar selection packs left over from Christmas for £7.49 for a box of six. Might need to pick some more up...

I love the jaffa quake bars. Didn't know they sold them there, so cheers!

doing a project - buying all the parts back and making an old lego castle i used to have when i was a kid..... seriously...... why on earth is lego so addictive? :I

It's crazy stuff. I recently built some old sets of mine with my boy, and Christmas was ace as he got loads of the stuff!

Hmm, my drivers license was issued in spring '91. That makes me a fossil, right? Especially since I returned it few years aho when my eyesight detoriated too much to drive safely...

You should have kept quiet, some of the young upstarts will mock you here, as they did me...

:P

I got my license in 1994.

You know German laws make it illegal to have winter tyres with less than 3mm of tread.

Meaning you can get part worn winter/snow tyres for really cheap.

The difference they make is huge.

As long as you have room to store them, there is no downside to winter tyres since your summer tyres are not being worn out while they are on.

You buy two sets of tyres but use each half the time.  People complain about the cost but they cost the same, they just have a different cost profile.

They grip better in the wet too which we get a hell of a lot of.

I'm not saying they are , but most of the time here, if you drive to suit the conditions you are fine on 'normal' tyres.

There is elevated cost too though, as you either need to buy a second set of wheels to keep winter tyres on, or pay a garage to swap and balance them each time.

I nearly crashed the car into the neighbours' parked car trying to get back up my street after going out to pick up the wife's meds.

If I'd been any less of a good driver, I'd have been in trouble - as it was it was a close run thing.

I wish I'd had the money to buy snow socks for the new car. If I'd had them fitted, there'd have been no issues.

Yeah, everyone has a different personal situation.

Hedge absolutely has to get out for his wife's meds, I do it because I like feeling smug, some people live in a remote area and others just don't care.

If you can just take a few days off and walk to a shop then it doesn't matter.

Every time this happens the council do a pretty good job really.  The problems are caused (as always) by just idiots not driving to the conditions, not preparing, and being overconfident (deluded) about their capabilities and the capabilities of their car.

Blasting along the M20 at 70 mph on snow in a car with 2wd and summer tyres?  Big crash, everyone behind you stuck.

I priced up snow tyres for my car, the most expensive ones I could find were brand new studded tyres (which I don't even think are legal here) at 85 quid a corner.

Now, I have small wheels but I found steel wheels at 10 quid each from scrap yards.

Call it £400.

However, you are reducing the wear to your summer tyres and nice alloys (assumption) and reducing the chances of a minor bump that could cost you that much anyway.

Plus also reducing the chances of a huge crash that could kill you.

I know that my wife just cancels work in these conditions and I can walk in plus now we have the Pinz but I will definitely get winter tyres and wheels at some point this year.

Probably in the summer when they should be cheaper.

I'll stick them on in about November and leave them on until late March/early April and keep them in the shed the rest of the year.

Now that we are keeping the car, it makes sense.

Snow socks are a *lot* cheaper, fit in the boot so you've always got them handy and you'll probably use them once if ever.

This weather is the worst snow we've had in the UK for decades, we probably won't see its like again for years.

On the other hand, it's made a good argument for getting the Jeep Renegade as our next car when we have to change in September instead of another Zafira...

I would not trust that this snow won't repeat soon, but boots vs real snow tyres depends geavily on expected snow levels. A week of snow every other winter, and tires would be too heavy an investment.

Especially as they actually can and do go bad over time even when not used.

But they're not snow tyres. They're winter tyres.

Snow socks should be around 60-80 an axle pair. Depends on the size. But they're only good on snow.

Winter tyres are made of a different compound of rubber that grip a lot better than 'summer' tyres when the temperature drops, which is something it does reasonably frequently over here.

Plus extra sipes and things that make them very good in the snow as well as the low temp compound.

I'll be looking at getting a set of steelies with some winter tyres for my wife's car at some point also.

Top tip, look in the summer as by autumn most stocks are gone. Good luck trying to get any past november.

Hedge, don't buy a jeep. Unfortunately, they aren't well built.

As for tyres, we've had barely a dusting of snow, it's rare we get any where I live, yet there can be a dumping a few miles away inland.

When I got my car I asked for all terrains as an option, but it wasn't allowed. I may stick a set on when I'm due a change if they are reasonable, but as said, here I don't really need a dedicated winter set :)

Had a bit of fun in the snow today. I had to take an alternative route from the one I normally use as the police had closed a road I needed.  Found myself on nice little countryside blast and of course because of the snow, there was hardly anyone else that dared venture on to these roads.  It was like my own private rally stage.

Also, it seems the police don't bother with winter tyres from what I observed today.  Now would be the perfect time to commit a heist or whatever if that's your thing.  Nice RS6 on winters and you're laughing whilst the po po are spinning their wheels at 15 MPH heh.

Archived