Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Twitch, I watched one of my closest friends date people for years, and then get married. I had fancied her rotten since the day I laid eyes on her. I went to her wedding in 2007. Around 2 years later, she was in what we now know a loveless marriage, with a super-controlling twat of a husband, resided to the fact she would be unhappy and childless for the rest of her life. She then caught him cheating on her when on holiday, the same time my long term relationship was destroying itself. 

One thing led to another. We got together, didn't rush things as we were both on the bounce, but clicked because we had already been very close for 10 years previously. 

We celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary in November, and our son has just turned 5. We have a nice house and 2 dogs, all very civilised really! 

Sometimes, it's timing. Sometimes, it's just a war of attrition 😂

Not trying to give you false hope, honestly. Just saying it's sometimes funny how things work out. I still tease her how I have been present at all of my wife's weddings... 

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's cool.

You couldn't make the story of me and my wife into a film.  It would be awful.
We had feelings for each other but she hated squaddies and I didn't want to be in a serious relationship.

We danced around the issue, arguing about things (the Army) and splitting up once when I had to cancel my holiday due to being deployed.

Then I realised I did want to be in a serious relationship.
Then I signed off from the Army and she came round to the idea.

Then after we got married things got bad when we couldn't have kids.

Things seem on the up now but the whole thing has been hard work and still is.

No fairy tales but I love that woman.  11th wedding anniversary in a week...

No mate, I am glad you had kids if you wanted them.  Never crossed my mind.

It upsets my Mrs sometimes, the assumptions people make.

It seems that a lot of people never run into problems and assume it goes:  Meet each other > Couple of years > Married > Kids.

For a lot of people that doesn't work.  It grinds my Mrs down when you meet people and they ask "how many kids do you have?".
Or when you tell them you can't have them and they say "Have you tried (some homeopathic )" or "Keep trying, it'll happen when you give up (sure, the fetus knows, you see) or "whose fault is it?".

Carol gets angry and walks away, I like to make people feel super uncomfortable with details.

"Have you tried IVF?" Sure, at 10 thousand pounds that was the most expensive of the 15 miscarriages we've had...

"What about adopting?"  No thanks, this whole experience has made us despise children...

However.

Since this is the happy thread, the fact that we can't have children is why we are able to go on an annual 5* all-inclusive holiday for 16 days to some tropical paradise, Mexico, The Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Cuba, South Africa, Kenya, Egyptian Red Sea coast, Lake Guarda and Venice, Slovenia.  Always outside of school holidays so there are no kids there.

It is why I have a £3000 gaming rig with a 1080ti and a collection of laptops and two servers. The guys I play with complained about my sound quality so I dropped £200 on a new mic.

I've got a set of diving equipment worth nearly 10 grand.

Got a Bicycle worth 6 grand that I never ride.

I have HPA airsoft stuff, a Polarstar rifle and an Angrygun Marui Breacher.

Got a Pinzgauer that does 2 miles to the litre.

Got all the toys, sometimes I get sad that I can't have kids but it's not like the world is short of people.

Anyway, happy times.  I was watching my favourite streamer playing XCOM EW and I thought "I should buy the "War of the Chosen" DLC for XCOM2"

Went on Steam, couldn't buy it, got confused.  Turns out I bought it in March.

YAY!

Been sorting out my room as I've been here since April but not really settled in. Now have a drinks shelf on my desk and found two bottles of Lindisfarne mead in one of my holdalls.

I also ate the Carolina Reaper that I was sent after collecting the seeds to save for my growing season. Bloody hell that's a hot pepper...

A snotty nurse tried to tell me that I had to leave the ward because it was outside visiting hours (by about half an hour). I refused, as I'm allowed open visiting as a full-time carer and it had already been agreed, the wife has been in nearly two weeks and we've had no issue until now.

She started quoting all sorts of rubbish that didn't apply, trying to come up with a justification for why I had to go. Even brought up the 'protected mealtime' thing - which is the to protect patients from being disturbed by staff while they're eating, it's nothing to do with visitors. She even threatened to call security because "I was aggressive".

I told her to fetch the ward sister. She said she was the nurse in charge and there was no sister. Alright fine, fetch the matron, or the nursing manager, or whoever.

So eventually the Matron arrives, backs me up completely, says there's no problem and I can be there as much as I like whenever my wife needs me, why is this even a question, blah blah.

Snotty nurse had to apologise. Could tell she didn't mean it.

Now I'm apparently going to be invited to be part of a Patient Experience panel - that should be interesting...

Archived