Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, dear friend is 8 weeks pregnant. Awesome news and I reckon she'll make an awesome mum. At what point do you buy pregnancy cards?

I'm still among a quite immature group of friends and she's my first true friend to get pregnant and be happy with it. Don't know the etiquette haha.

I'd strongly advise against it.

Everyone I know who ever got married - including myself - has issues with the photographers/photographs.

You could well end up losing a friend.

If you do go ahead, get a *written* contract and make sure you fulfill your contractual obligations.

Eh, I aired my concerns about it being between friends, as opposed to a paid service where worst case scenario you feel cheated out of money and with no/terrible photos as opposed to potentially hurting an awesome friendship if I can't deliver what they want. I talked about worst case scenarios, all my equipment breaking, maybe all the files corrupting and they seem to be fine with it all (guess the real question is would they be or are they just saying that without realising just how wrong it could go?).

I know it's not going to be a huge wedding and there might not even be a proper reception and they don't seem to fussed about the photos being awesome but I still am concerned slightly. Half tempted to just put together what would be gift money with some others to hire a photographer.

But super happy: day 7 of 7 down, 75 hours in a row and I'm almost ready to curl up in my bed (does anyone else like it when their sheets are cold first thing?)

Well, I just earned $20. As a "consultancy fee". It's a story.

I'm in a Facebook group for designers and other people looking for help with fonts. Since I know a lot of that stuff, and what I don't know I can look up with some black belt Google-Fu, I'm usually the first one responding when it comes to horror, fantasy, sci-fi and general old commercial fonts.

Now, this guy turned up yesterday and asked about fonts used by "Tom Hammonds Enterprises" logo - a terrible thing hammered together in a vector editor in the previous century. One font is Windows' Lucida Handwriting, which should give you a hint how bad it was. Another one's Slipstream, a ridiculously old design used for racing-themed logos and bundled with CorelDraw long ago. Then, there's the third one. A weird, angular, old sci-fi kinda thing. Itched my brain something fierce, so I told him, it's probably something I saw on Dafont (a massively popular free font site) sometime, but I'll look it up later as I should have it stashed somewhere. Now, since I do have a stash of old fonts I copied from my old bootleg CorelDraw 7 disc, I went through it after my evening Twitch stream and there it was: Dex Gothic.

I give the guy the name and link to Myfonts where he can purchase it, and he says I deserve $20 for that. I'm all like "Dude, you serious?", and it turns out he is. The thing is, "Tom Hammonds" is his client, THE Tom Hammonds, NBA star, drag racer, auto salon owner, which suddenly explained why the logo used Slipstream in the first place.

All for what, five minutes of searching and knowing some things outright? I can work with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, lads, I went on a shopping spree, got myself one of those APS NotGlocks (by the way, what internals are they based on, TM/WE?) and some extra gubbins (that underbarrel greeble styled after Kriss Vector and a top rail) for a cyberpunk-themed project. Good thing that the gun has an internal 11mm thread in the barrel, so I can use the short can and adapter I got back when I bought my P228.

Now I'm considering a red-dot for it. I intend to bash the Vector greeble and the top rail together for more style and functionality, but AliExpress has those flip-up dot sights with Glock mounts for slightly less than the RIS version and I'm torn between style (at the risk of rocking the sight to *suitcase* with CO2-powered full auto of death) and functionality (that involves a lot of elbow grease, as I'll need extra supports bolted under the side rails to hold the Vector greeble and the top rail together).

Also, I'm doing pretty fine in COD: Blackout. Once again I found a good Battle Royale game for me (after those dipweeds from Hi-Rez ruined Realm Royale by removing character classes).

18 hours ago, Mike_West said:

Well, lads, I went on a shopping spree, got myself one of those APS NotGlocks (by the way, what internals are they based on, TM/WE?) and some extra gubbins (that underbarrel greeble styled after Kriss Vector and a top rail) for a cyberpunk-themed project. Good thing that the gun has an internal 11mm thread in the barrel, so I can use the short can and adapter I got back when I bought my P228.

Now I'm considering a red-dot for it. I intend to bash the Vector greeble and the top rail together for more style and functionality, but AliExpress has those flip-up dot sights with Glock mounts for slightly less than the RIS version and I'm torn between style (at the risk of rocking the sight to *suitcase* with CO2-powered full auto of death) and functionality (that involves a lot of elbow grease, as I'll need extra supports bolted under the side rails to hold the Vector greeble and the top rail together).

Also, I'm doing pretty fine in COD: Blackout. Once again I found a good Battle Royale game for me (after those dipweeds from Hi-Rez ruined Realm Royale by removing character classes).

APS not-glocks are TM/WE clones for the most part, yeah. They're not known for good GBBs, to be honest, and if it's the 'SHARK' model, the mag catch often breaks and dumps the mag.

Also the mags suck. Dunno if KJW Co2 glock mags will fit, but they fit WE and TM glocks with a bit of tape inside the front of the magwell.

Broke out my new soldering iron and whatnot earlier today and tried out my first soldering efforts.  I just took a lipo out and tested it on a gearbox after letting the deans connector on the gearbox sit for a bit and it worked.  Probably the daftest solder job possible but it worked and nothing caught fire!

Just had brilliant customer from leatherman/Whitby knives. 

I had a MUT which somehow managed to bend a springy bit inside (technical term) and a squirt with a broken scissor spring. Sent them in to whitby (UK leatherman warranty people) and 9 days later got 2 brand new tools in the post. No queries/questions, they just replaced them with new ones. 

Both of mine were well used and several years old. 

Really happy! 

@Twitch, get yours done. It only cost a few quid to send them tracked to make sure they got there! 

5 hours ago, Tw1tch said:

Will do man, just need to grab it off my dad.

Yep, sorry! Not nagging, just saying how it's a really great service. 

I was worried there wod be a raft of questions like "have you used this to lift up a car?" but there were no dramas 😊

Yeah I was half expecting questions like that. Hope they can keep the external skeleton though as it was engraved by LM as my dad got it for me as a graduation gift.

Gave blood yesterday, that made me smile (even if after getting home I pretty much passed out, I blame the 14 hour shift beforehand).

Also picked up my 5D today and loving it so far.

17 minutes ago, Tw1tch said:

Yeah I was half expecting questions like that. Hope they can keep the external skeleton though as it was engraved by LM as my dad got it for me as a graduation gift.

Gave blood yesterday, that made me smile (even if after getting home I pretty much passed out, I blame the 14 hour shift beforehand).

Also picked up my 5D today and loving it so far.

There is a box to tick if you want your old tool back. 

Call them and see if they will swap the frame. Can't hurt to ask! 

Archived