Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Not sure how privatising the NHS will help anything - if anything, I'd expect more nationalisation in Stunt's Britain. Yes, providers deserve the rewards of their labours, but people's health shouldn't be subject to profitablity studies or 'market forces'.

Minister of War doesn't want a conscript army, either - however, requiring people to choose between the Forces, NHS, council work (running libraries, repairing roads, changing bulbs in lampposts, etc), emergency services (less skilled roles, of course) and various other options of national interest (farming, mining, running power stations, building houses, whatever) for a few years of making their country better sounds like a workable plan...

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, amateurstuntman said:

You can have national service if you like but I'm not sure I would have wanted to be in the army with a load of conscripts

Rename it "Public Service" - you choose if you want to join the army (and only non-combat or niche jobs), specials, NHS (Ambi driver or assistant nurse), firefighter and then a host of other jobs - construction, street cleaner etc

All of the above hold a retention should they be required in crisis (like the layover service the reserve forces hold - national emergency? call up the ex-"public service" ambi drivers and special coppers.)  There should be an option to transfer into the job full time on merit or general interest.

I used to be in favour of actual conscription to sort out the oiks until I was a platoon commander training Harrogate phase 1/basic training.  *fruitcage* hell they are a nightmare to motivate even though they want to be there.

39 minutes ago, Hardcore1-6 said:

All of the above hold a retention should they be required in crisis (like the layover service the reserve forces hold - national emergency? call up the ex-"public service" ambi drivers and special coppers.) 

Slight technicality but volunteers cannot be forced to work, even in an emergency. They can be asked, but that's it... 

The problem with any sort of forced labour is that it breaks all other forms of economy. If you have unpaid workers of any sort, they will undermine paying anyone else for same job. Just look up how fubared poor whites were in the South prior Civil War, when hiring labour was seen a lot nore expensive than buying a stock of blacks who didn't need to be paid. 

4 hours ago, shmook said:

Slight technicality but volunteers cannot be forced to work, even in an emergency. They can be asked, but that's it... 

I said called up, not press ganged..  You put the offer out, and hope people have learnt something during their public service that it's the done thing to help people if you're in a position to do so.

4 hours ago, Hardcore1-6 said:

I said called up, not press ganged..  You put the offer out, and hope people have learnt something during their public service that it's the done thing to help people if you're in a position to do so.

My apologies, I misread your post 😊

But, you know what's made me smile?

Cash available for sports clubs.  An old bunker.  1000 hours on google.  Buying some clay traps.  Some dollar injected into it.

Boom - got a Clay Target Clubhouse (Recce in for this afternoon and would be an offence if I didn't dust some clays at the same time)

So I see a privatised NHS with government oversight on the charges to be a good way of stripping the middle management out of the hospitals.

They don't treat anyone or clean anything, get rid.

Why do senior doctors end up managing doctors?

Get people who trained to manage people, leave the doctors to treat people.

Anyway the labour price problem isn't going to be a problem.

Once robots take all the jobs then you will be "happy" to be doing forced litter patrols by the side of the road for food.

The world is going down the toilet people, we can only manage how hard we hit.

Private companies still have oodles of redundant layers of management.

From what I hear, US hospitals are essentially the same as ours just give you a huge bill at the end of your stay. For the most part, they're not run any better.

Obviously, if you're richer, you go to a "better", more expensive one, but rich people do that here anyway.

You could reform the NHS without privatising it - why have companies profiting from these things? Same with utilities, internet, public transport, telecommunications and that sort of thing. These are things people *need* and they shouldn't be left to the whims of profit margins in my opinion.

I feel we're massively overthinking it.

With any and all sectors of public service, all you need to do is remove the opportunities to line ones own pocket and add some accountability and the problems will most likely solve themselves.

The NHS desperately needs accountability. Desperately.

I see people screw up all the time, nothing seems to happen, even if I report it.

The individual responsible for a mistake needs to be personally held to account for the consequences. Then - and only then - will they be prevented from doing the exact same thing to someone else.

10 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

It's a rather costly hobby too, even just talking ammo.  It's criminal how much we have to pay for ammo here.  It's almost as if they don't want us to own guns...

I never considered the cost compared to other countries. 

As I had a gun, I used to buy a slab of cheapish ammo every so often and just pay and play. We used to blow off the hangovers on a Sunday at one of the local shoots. 

New topic for me, I bought a cheap Chinese thing off ebay. 

I am very impressed with it for the cost! 

12v pressure washer to live in the car. Also got a 20 litre tank which in fortuitous timing appeared round the corner from me, used once. 

For under 20 quid, I've got a self-contained cleaning system for when I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I can wash the car, dogs, boots and child and it's bloody great if you're outdoorsy. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F27348275599

No idea how long it will last, but for the money, who cares? 

It won't clean your patio, but did a fine job on the dried on bird turds on my car, and I also don't want it to lop a leg off one of the dogs, so it's all good! 

*awaits stunt to pipe up he has a milspec one on the pinz, run from a PTO and can be used to watercut granite* 😂😂

1 hour ago, Hardcore1-6 said:

Mil spec being over priced, you're not qualified to use it despite it being made for idiots and has an "Out of Order" sign on it?

Ha.

Military Specification.

The *suitcase* might be made by an awesome manufacturer but the spec was thought up by a comittee who had never used one.

We have them at work so I've never boght my own.

Air compressor however...

Archived