Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, shmook said:

I got a 15 percent pay rise yesterday, completely out of the blue. I'm still gobsmacked. 

Zoiks!

If you got an even sensible, regular wage that's a big chunk of change.

I too also love the Apollo stuff.

What is making me happy this week as a confluence of a number of things.

A while ago I upgraded my mic on the PC to make online games with me less unpleasant for everyone else.

I got a Marantz MPM-100 and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo to connect it to.  This whole time it has had nothing plugged into the 1/4" (6.35mm?  You're not fooling anyone) headphone socket.

I got myself a set of Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro headphones in 80 ohm.

Listening to Valery Gergiev conducting the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra playing Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov.  It's making my root tingle.

If that's not your bag, they also make Schism by Tool sound amazing too.

And all my Pearl Jam records.

Happy ears.

I didn't understand most of your post, save for 'nice kit makes things better' !

Yep, it's a hell of a raise, and I was doing OK beforehand too. 

It means more nice things for my family, which can only be good. 

something something Grado Labs.

After months of trying, I start a new job on August 19th after a week off the week before and visiting the cotswolds with Mrs tink, and my best friend and his wife.

Me and Mrs Tink got back yesterday from a week away camping with our church and had a great time and I've only got 10.5 days left in the motor trade.

I'm Happy.

Yeah.

I have personal policies that basically make all of Youtube's efforts pointless so I don't have any skin in the game but it will be nice to be able to stop doing what I do and get served suggested videos that are relevant to my interests and not a load of clickbait *suitcase*.

To be honest, I've found YouTube to be OK at "suggested" videos. My home page is generally filled with stuff I have an interest in.  Every now and again a completely random video will pop up that I would never think to look for or think I'd enjoy, but I'll watch it and it would be worth it.  Of course, sometimes there will some terrible videos pushed there which are easy to click ignore on.   I do stay away from the "Trending" page though.  Some utter tosh there being pushed by YouTube.

Same, the suggested videos are generally ones I have an interest in, but not necessarily ones I would search for. 

Also, some utter tripe, but it's quite good at 'guessing' what I want. 

It's the only page I use really, as any of my subscriptions pop up there. I also avoid the trending page at all costs... 

Background-  I've never made it completely public to work that I play airsoft.  It is somewhat of an underground activity in the military.

Colonel: Hardcore, you're up for our input to Family's Day this year.  I've heard of this airsoft stuff.  I'd like a battle arena.

Me: Ack that colonel, i've not a clue where to start with this. Will get on it immediately. *internal laughing*

Additionally, JSP101 (Defence Writing - how to put things into army words) has been amended to include "Weasel Words".  It forbids the use of management jargon like 'piece', 'sphere' and 'utilise'.

Example - Utilising the forum sphere, we're talking about the airsoft piece. Now "Using the forum we're talking about airsoft". So happy.

That seems like a peculiar decision.  They're ideal training aids.  Or is it a case worrying they're too young to be mixing the don't point a gun at anyone rule with airsoft and RS?

Apparently it's "too violent" and "encourages children to shoot at each other" as if we don't do blank-firing exercises with other cadets playing enemy...

It's stupid, since actually using airsoft guns for training would be cheaper and easier. It might even be safer, we'd just have to give all the cadets suitable face protection.

Especially in the wake of the annoying decision to reclassify the Drill Purpose rifles (they're deactived rifles used for training and rifle drill) and store them in the armouries like the live firing ones do we can't do weapons training at Detachment level any more.

Even a GBB airsoft SA80 would be a fraction of the price of the actual live firing 5.56mm rifles and could just be stored in a locked room, since it's not a firearm and couldn't possibly be made into one. They might be lighter too, which would be good for the younger cadets who often struggle with the rifle which weighs 5+ kilos when loaded.

The cadets is the worst of both worlds - simultaneously too military and not military enough.

It's too military to really be a popular youth organisation like the Scout Association, which has worked hard to shed its paramilitary past - last check, the Scouts had more than ten times as many kids enrolled as the ACF does - even though we do our best to emphasise non-military activities when we go recruiting, all anyone sees is a group of kids in uniform and almost everyone asks about "guns" and "does it mean you have to join the army" or "I don't want to join to get shot in Afghanistan" (I roll my eyes so hard I think they'll fall out. Do people really think we're sending 12 year old kids to Afghanistan?)

We actually do very little Fieldcraft and Shooting compared to our other activities, but that's all anyone sees from outside.

It's not as good as you might like - victim of the 'too military' part of the mindset, perhaps.

The national level stuff isn't great in my opinion, but each County does their own thing and we're getting some new ideas filtering through with the younger CFAVs (Cadet Force Adult Volunteers) so it ought to improve. Derbyshire just started an IG account, one of our Under Officers from the north end of the County is running it.

Archived