Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

If you have any kind of old laptop HDD around the house you can save a few quid and get one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Adapter-Cable-Drives-en-GB-SATA-USB-3-0-converter/dp/B01N2JIQR7/

There is a USB-C version that could plug directly into the Pixel but I don't know if the OTG chip in the phone has the guts to power an HDD.
It has more of a chance to power an SSD but it is less likely that you will have one of those around the house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Hard-Drive-Adapter/dp/B078P9YNFQ/

I always have one handy.

*edit*

An external HDD or SSD is just one of those in a fancy box.

Compare the price of a plain disk plus the cable vs the price of an external box and see how much you are being ripped off....

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, got given a 3d printer. All my VSR mags now have mag pull tabs on them and I'm designing a mag stacker for the H8R revolver. 

I'd like to get into 3D printing, but haven't got the space or money to get a printer, the materials or the software. Nor do I know anything about 3D design.

It's on my list of 'things to spend a windfall on' - but it's behind a *lot* of other, more important things.
49 minutes ago, Hedganian said:

I'd like to get into 3D printing, but haven't got the space or money to get a printer, the materials or the software. Nor do I know anything about 3D design.

It's on my list of 'things to spend a windfall on' - but it's behind a *lot* of other, more important things.

At the minute I'm using tinkercad. Its online software and it's very straightforward. If you want to have a go at 3d design it's free to use.

Spent the entire day sorting through my shed. It had gotten to the point that I was throwing things in from the door. The door wouldn’t close anymore so cats from the neighbourhood would stop by for a nap.

efd2dadac3b0fecfbee465e12105aeb2.jpg

Gutted the whole thing, painted the walls, boarded up the pointless window, and planes down the door so it would close again. Couldn’t have done it without help from the family and so pleased I asked.

0903b476e1157f0a4f320134e9149406.jpg

It's a dream we all have - racking and pegboards full of kit and RIFs...

I doubt whatever crappy council house I end up in will have space for that. I'll be lucky to get off-road parking, much less a shed. A garage would be a miracle.

Although I'm told that the council will rent a garage separately, but it would be pretty inconvenient to store stuff in a place I need to drive to - plus I'd need separate insurance. I wouldn't like to store my RIFs there, even with insurance. Not sure I'd go for it. Maybe if it had power...

Edit:

I've completed my first ever 3D design, from scratch - an AUG C-clip. I'm not 100% sure that the sizes are right, the measurements I was working on didn't look right to me so I've asked Doc to check them - he has precision engineering tools for measuring things and I'm sure he's got at least one intact c-clip knocking about. Once I've made sure the sizes are right, I'll put it on thingiverse for everyone to benefit from.

Untitled.png

S01 E25 - Conspiracy

Picard gets invited to a secret meeting with an old mate, a chick who got to Captain faster that anyone in history and one of the post apocalyptic biker dudes from "Weird Science".

They say there is some kind of *fruitcage*ery going on in Star Fleet, just like General Rogers from "Firefox" was going on about in "Coming of Age S01E19", remember, with the unctuous turd of an assistant?

Picard gets Data to analyze some *suitcase* or other and Data finds out that Starfleet have been shuffling staff around.  Then they find his mate's ship all blown up

The crew goes to Earth to ask some questions, the 80 year old guy from E19 beats up Riker's Stunt Performer, chucks Geordi through a door and starts kicking Worf about until Beverly burns his *albatross* down with some phaser fire.

Turns out he has some kind of alien crab dude in his neck.
The top brass of starfleet all do.  Some kind of conspiracy.  The chick from the meeting is a bad guy.

Picard and Riker go on a killing spree finishing up with the assistant guy who is the "mother" alien.
When he dies they all shut down.  Before they died though, they sent a beacon signal into space.

S01 E26 - The Neutral Zone.

The crew have to go to the neutral zone to find out what happened to their outposts.
Their outposts are *fruitcage*ed.  Probably the Romulans.
It wasn't the Romulans, their outposts are *fruitcage*ed too.
They agree to pool assets to find out what happened.
The end.

The secondary plot to this episode is that the crew also find some old cryogenically frozen dead humans from 300 years ago (now).  They thaw them out, heal them up and then laugh at how backward humans used to be.

Well, that's the end of the first season.  It was a pretty good start.  We spent some time meeting the crew and they are settling into the roles we remember.
No Guinan yet and Riker doesn't have his beard but we're getting there.

Got offered a property.

It's a bungalow, which probably has a level-access shower room already installed. Doesn't have its own parking space, much less a driveway, which is a bit of an issue, but nothing we can do about it.

Apparently the current resident has been there for a long time and isn't leaving until the 16th of Feb, after which they'll have to assess the property; refit the kitchen & bathroom, and ensure it's clean & safe.

They'll not, however, redecorate or refit flooring because renting a house with no flooring makes *so* much sense...

3 hours ago, Hedganian said:

They'll not, however, redecorate or refit flooring because renting a house with no flooring makes *so* much sense... emoji19.png

I take it the current flooring is not in good condition then?  Probably not if the current tenant has been there a while.  Sometimes they'll leave carpet if it's in good condition.

Flooring is not refitted for new tenancies as it would become an obligation to maintain which would soon get expensive with x thousand properties.

Take a look at some carpet shops.  They'll often have huge off cuts that can do entire rooms for pretty cheap.  Look on the back wall of somewhere like Carpetright.  Though you'll be able to haggle at small independent carpet shops.

As for decorating, depending on the housing association/council, you could be entitled to a contribution of costs for paint etc.  I know there are deals with decorating suppliers for this sort of thing.

Got back into martial arts, after few years of hiatus. 

Jumped from Japanese arts to Chinese one, though, so everything, while sinilar, is just a bit different, prompts me to not get complacent on the beginners' class, which means I am more likely to keep going as it is a challenge and not a breeze. 

I know if training is 'too easy' as in not enough to keep my mind on the task, I tend to get bored with stuff.

Bajiquan us jyst different enough from what I have studied before that I need to focus. Last time I needed that sort of focusing in basics was when I started Muso Shinden ryu, and tgat kept with me for a decade. 

I take it the current flooring is not in good condition then?  Probably not if the current tenant has been there a while.  Sometimes they'll leave carpet if it's in good condition.
Flooring is not refitted for new tenancies as it would become an obligation to maintain which would soon get expensive with x thousand properties.

They'll rip out the flooring even if it's new and/or in good condition. No one I've spoken to can actually justify the practice of not replacing it.

The council/housing associations could buy flooring in bulk and are paying workers anyway, so it would be significantly cheaper for them to install it than individual tenants.

You hit the nail on the head with the money situation, it's literally about them saving a few quid. Social housing tenants tend to be poorer people - not always, but often - and they're forced to pay to install flooring and redecorate a house which doesn't belong to them. Private rented properties have flooring and so on provided by the landlord, and are rented to more affluent people who could better afford to fit their own.

It's madness.

I'm more concerned about being forced to move to a tiny mid-terrace bungalow, 50m from the road, with no allocated parking. That's obviously the ideal set up for mobility-impaired disabled people and the elderly...

At least it's not the one with ten steps leading up to it. What's the point in building a bungalow for people who struggle with stairs then putting a flight of *fruitcage* stairs outside the front door?!

My package of bits arrived today, 3 sets of GATE duel signal wires, 3 BlueBox AK midcaps, and the damn sector delay chip I needed for my LCT RPK (my dumbass forgot to put one onto the shs gears I put into it).  I managed to get the delayer in and everything back together, tested it with one of those midcaps, and it *fruitcage* works finally!  Probably has *suitcase* air consistency now from so many times trying to get it fixed, and I am sure it still gets outperformed by the kiddos with their krytacs, but as a 40k Ork would say:  "It's *fruitcage* DAKKA ya Git!"

Tomorrow I get the Bizon rewired for a Gate Nanoasr setup like most of my collection is now (probably hold off on the ak104/5 because its inline mosfet wiring is not complete *suitcase* layout wise).  Wish I had gotten those Silverback pouches for it when they came out years ago since they were discontinued and the only shop I know of that has some still supposedly is a shop in Canada that is domestic mostly and would cost a cyma to acquire them.  Thinking of maybe water bottle pouches on a molle chest rig but not sure what kind doesn't look silly and would hold them tightly.

"Mutters like an Ork for the rest of the night"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived